Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solo to Alaska

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice Ryde Report

I have really enjoyed the informative reports. Yesterday was the first time I started reading your posts.
    Seems like this was a wonderful experience for you.
    I am glad you got there safely and are now almost home.

It has to be another wonderful experience.
    I hope you have enjoyed the 'Ryde Times' and all the beautiful scenery

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

July 12, 2022
    Minot, ND to Brookings, SD

Another good day for riding. I was certainly blessed or lucky to have been on this trip for 28 days and only had one three-hour rainstorm hit me. Tomorrow will be up into low 90’s by the time I get to Kansas City but all in all, I’ve had great weather for the entire trip.
    The hills around Minot changed to the flat landscape of farming.

The canola fields gradually gave way to corn as the primary crop.

On the way up four weeks ago, as I cut across North Dakota to Minot, I noticed how many ponds and pools of water there were along the road. I was wondering if it was a marshland there was so much water. It may have been the spring rains because now the larger ponds have shrunken down, the many small pools by the road have dried up and left only cattails behind to mark their once watery spot.

We’ve all seen the little memorials left at roadsides for those lost in an automobile accident. Yesterday was the first time I saw a woman visiting and tending to one of those memorials. A sober reminder to stay alert and focused while driving and to not take loved ones for granted.

On the lighter side, for you Lord of the Rings fans. A few days ago, I saw a car go by with a Gimli Ford sticker on it. I looked it up and it is legit. There really is a town called Gimli in Manitoba. I wonder how many LOTR jokes the town has had to put up with?

At one of my breaks today, a woman pulled up in a nice-looking HD Tri-glide. I saw she had a Tennessee license plate, so I asked her if she was coming or going from Tennessee. She said going to Idaho Falls. With this trip she will finish up visiting 49 states and stopping in at least one HD dealer in each of those states. The only sticking point was her schedule put her in North Platte, NB on a day the dealer is closed, and she’ll have to stay two nights in a hotel to get it done. She wasn’t interested in trying Omaha, so she’ll do what she must do. I never remember to ask about taking a picture when the owner is present.

20220712_112514.jpg

This was a long day for me. Back-to-back nine-hour travel days. I decided to lengthen the day by just a little bit and made a short detour when I got to Fargo

20220712_123803.jpg

I have no idea if I will ever be back up this way again on my Spyder so I thought I better get this state marked off my list. The Tri-glide rider’s journey helped convince me to do it while I could. I must have been a comedic sight trying to take a selfie in front of the monument because a gentleman came by and asked if he could help me by taking the picture.

One final night in a motel. One last day on the road.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Gimli Manitoba.....famous for the Gimli Glider. Back in the day when we in Canada were in the throws of changing to the metric system, I believe it was an Air Canada flight that ran out of fuel over Gimli. The pilot had enough savy to "dead stick" the passenger jet and land the aircraft safely at the Gimli airfield. I don't believe that there were any injuries.

just a bit of history of our country.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

What a great trip you have had. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What a great journey, and apparently the Spyder did a magnificent job, I saw no post of failure or problems. Good job!

Spyder Garage

I would be very interested in hearing about an Oil Analysis report from your next oil change, I'm estimating you rode 8 - 9k miles on the oil and filter. Have you ever done a Blackstone Labs or similar oil analysis?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I have not done an oil analysis. I only had 6K on the bike before I left but I went ahead and did the 9K service which included an oil change before I left for the trip. I'll need another oil change when I get back but it was nice not trying to find a dealer to do one on the road.

Spyder Garage

Default One more thing!

In addition to oil change, you have some serious updating to do on your signature map!
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I would be very interested in hearing about an Oil Analysis report from your next oil change, I'm estimating you rode 8 - 9k miles on the oil and filter. Have you ever done a Blackstone Labs or similar oil analysis?
    David,

When Kathy and I did our Alaska trip (North to Alaska group) I had changed the oil before we left and again when we got home. A total of 9600 miles on the oil. I had used BRP's full synthetic oil. I did send a sample to Blackstone labs and the report stated it was still good for another 1000 miles. Since then I change around 9000 miles using full (T6) synthetic oil.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

July 13, 2022
    Brookings, SD to Kansas City (Home)

Alaskafinish.jpg

HOME!

29 Days
    8950 miles

I made it home mid-afternoon. I can’t believe it’s been 29 days since I began this journey.

First, I’d like to thank my wife, Carol, for her support, encouragement and love. Without her this trip would never have happened.

Thank you to all those who posted and read the ride reports. This was a huge encouragement for me each day. Twenty-nine days (minus three days of rest) of averaging 8 hours of travel a day was physically and sometimes mentally challenging but knowing that others cared about my well-being and were interested in my trip helped keep me going.

This blog also provided me a format to document my journey. I made stops for pictures and considered small moments in my trip where I would have passed these by without someone looking over my shoulder. It will provide me with memories for years to come.

I will follow up with a few more posts about my reflections on this trip in the coming days. But for now, I’m going to relax with my wife, my family and enjoy the accomplishment.
    Last edited by Scotts8826; 07-13-2022 at 06:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Glad you made it home safely. I enjoyed reading your reports.

Rick
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

Glad you made it home. Been a great read. Like your thoughts on regular versus premium fuel. As bigbadbrucie mentions, the Air Canada flight that landed at Gimli is now called the Gimli Glider. I spoke with a Fedex pilot and asked if it was part of his simulator training, he informed me that it is a standard simulation that all pilots he knows must successfully do. Gimli is now the home of Canada's Crown Royal.

We are in the middle of our cross Canada tour, Victoria to Newfoundland or bust. Sonya wasn't going to be left behind, thouroughly enjoy the company. On the way back home to Victoria, completed some 10,000 Kms today. Left home on June 11 - back on or before 12 August. One oil change so far at the 5000 Km mark, next one will be at approximately the 12000 Km mark. Only issue has been a flat on the trailer, bent the rim, tube installed. Spyder is a trooper.

Look forward to reading about your post trip thoughts.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Red - Will you have pictures and comments to share with us about your trip?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for taking us along on your epic journey. Enjoy your well-deserved rest and reunion with your family.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

Default Solo to Alaska and return home safely

Scott, thank you for the incredible journey you took us on. I have read each post and enjoyed the pictures you provided.
    I am glad you have returned home safe and are enjoying time with family. Sounds like the Spyder performed well.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Safe Trip

...I agree with what others have already posted. I hope you had a great time and enjoyed your trip.
    It sounds like a Win Win for you and for everyone who was following your Daily Blogs.

Take some time with the wife and family. Later update everyone with the final chapter of your trip.
    I would had love to gone on a trip like this, but health issues are causing me to be more careful about things.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you so much for taking us along on this epic adventure. Going to the site and reading your post daily, has been a highlight of my morning. So glad you made it home safe and that the spyder seemed to have performed flawlessly. God Bless, and I will be checking in for more post about your trip.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    Red - Will you have pictures and comments to share with us about your trip?
    Will do, not going to be up to your standard. I've been lax on taking pictures.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Post Trip Reflections

I can’t believe its almost been a week since I completed my Alaska journey. I thought it was time to reflect on the trip before too much time passed.

Pre-Trip Readiness

Canada had been locked down to outside visitors for two years. They lightened up a little in August 2021 but it was still restrictive, by April 2022 there were three things I needed to cross the border as a tourist.

One, I had to have a passport which I already possessed. Two, I needed to have a document/card which showed that I had at least two Covid vaccines, two weeks prior to entering. Three, I had to upload pictures of the passport and Covid document to the ArriveCan app. Once I was within three days of crossing the border, I had to add the border crossing location I would use and where I was going in Canada. I would just put in the hotel address of the first hotel I would be staying in. I would tell the Customs Agent I was going to Alaska. I had to update the border crossing twice, once on the way up to Alaska and again on the way back. It was an easy thing to do. Both times the Border Agent only asked to see my passport. They were not interested in my vaccine card. I don’t know if they could pull up my completed ArriveCan app electronically, but they never asked to see the receipt I had on my phone confirming I had indeed completed the app.

Since I would be in Canada more than Alaska, I did buy a medical coverage policy from World Nomads. This company is used by many adventure riders. The policy was $125 for a month. It was a reimbursement style policy so I would have to pay medical costs upfront and then file a claim. Blue Cross/Blue Shield has a travel policy, but it was $250. Twice as much but it paid for claims upfront.

I upgraded my AAA membership. To get my Spyder covered I had to add the RV coverage. Strange, but it was only an extra $27 a year.

My Spyder is still under warranty.

One thing I did not purchase was a Spot finder/locater. I believed that I would only be in isolated areas for a few days while I was in northern BC and the Yukon. I was wrong. I was in isolated areas almost every day once I got north of Hinton, AB. Eighty miles between gas stops was common. My longest was 150 miles. Even stretches of the Trans-Canada Highway were sparsely populated. If I had mechanical issues, there is no way Can-Am or AAA would have found me in any reasonable time frame, and I would have no way to specifically identify my location. There are no mile markers. So, I would encourage any Alaska rider to consider a Spot tracker/finder or similar item for that just in case moment.

I got a second credit card. The new one has no foreign transaction fees. I used this card exclusively in Canada and used my existing card in the States including Alaska. One time I was on a trip and my credit card was compromised. I had to use my debit card for three days while a new card was being mailed to my home address. Carry two cards, one with no foreign transaction fees if you are a US citizen traveling through Canada. In an odd sort of way, it was nice to pump $10 a gallon gas but only be charged $7.80.

My wife stayed home and served as my base of operations. If you travel with your spouse, it would be wise to have a relative or good friend to serve in this capacity. When I had poor cell service, I could still text her and she would call hotels and make reservations for me. She was invaluable when the Alaska Highway was washed out and she worked on calling hotels along the Cassiar Highway since my phone would lose connection at any time. Fortunately, I didn’t have any physical emergencies or financial issues, but it is nice to have someone at home that can support you.

The Spyder

Readers assumed my Spyder was running well since I never made a negative comment about it. The assumption was true. It ran great. I kept my mouth shut about it so I wouldn’t jinx it. Pre-trip I had 6,000 miles on my 2020 RTL. I went ahead and did the 9K service which included an oil change so I would have the Spyder all checked out. I also replaced the rear tire at Lamonster Garage so it would have good tread throughout the trip. The front tires looked good and have not worn down to the tread wear marker, yet. I bought the Spyder in October 2020, so I still have a factory warranty.

I added a few farkles, not necessarily for the trip, but some turned out to be nice additions. I used my highway pegs every day. The new models don’t fit as well as the older RT models. The new foot pegs should be turned in toward the rider a bit, but they face directly backwards so most of the time my feet were not sitting squarely on the pegs. I had added the BRP adjustable wings to keep the cooler breeze off me. My Hopnel dash bag was convenient to keep eyeglass cleaner, hand sanitizer, gum, tissues, etc. in. I have a top case rack, but I never used it. It was nice to know that I had the extra carrying space if I needed it, but I never did. I installed the KOTT grills and the upper vent grills to keep stray rocks away. Phone and drink holders. I installed a 12V plug in the frunk.

I used a 40L Givi dry bag for my clothes. I carried six days’ worth of clothes in two packing cubes inside the bag. The packing cubes kept things tidy and organized. Dirty clothes I put in the bottom of the dry bag and the clean cubes I placed on top of them. Each week I had a rest day when I would do laundry.

20220713_072538 (1).jpg

I used two Can-Am brand saddle bag liners in my top case. I stored food items in one (spices, plastic silverware, tortillas, candy, scissors, etc.) and medical and miscellaneous items in the other. After a few days I changed things around and moved anything I use daily to my food bag and kept anything else in the medical bag so I wouldn’t have to bring both bags in every night. I laid them flat, and they fit perfectly. I also had an old Hopnel bag from my old RT and used it for all my electronics. I carried a square outlet extender that also had USB ports and extra charge cords. I also kept my Gerbing batteries and Cardo headset with their respective chargers in the bag, but I never used them. My laptop was placed on top of three bags and there was still room to tuck extra glass cases and drink holders.

20220713_155613.jpg 20220713_155448 (1).jpg

The left saddle bag I carried tools in a Hopnel saddle bag case. This included an air pump, tire plugs, extra oil, fuses, a can of fix-a-flat, and a variety of basic tools. Things like zip ties, common metric tools used on the Spyder, a small wrench, screwdrivers, etc. The only thing I felt comfortable in fixing would be a flat tire, but the extra tools may have come in handy to keep things tightened up or help another rider.

The right saddle bag I kept my rain suit and my half cover. I used the half cover every night except once and that was when my memory foam seat cushion and sheep skin went missing.
    The frunk I only filled about halfway with a couple extra clothing layers, the Gerbing jacket liner, my Jacket liner, boots or sneakers and anything else I picked up along the way. I encourage anyone taking a long trip to NOT fill up every available space. You will need it later for things you pick up or when you need a place to store your riding jacket.

20220713_160129.jpg

Cooler Bag- I kept a small cooler bag which held three waters, lunch meat, cheese and sometimes cooked chicken or meatballs. I had room in the cooler for about three days’ worth of food. I ate lunch on the road almost every day. I carried tortillas in the food bag in the top case along with mustard and a Ziploc bag of single serving condiments. Two out of three nights I would eat dinner in the hotel room. I only had two hotels that did not have a refrigerator and microwave. Those two hotels also had attached restaurants they wanted you to patronize. My breakfast was usually a protein bar and a quick perusal of the “free” breakfast at my hotel. Keeping my restaurant eating limited I saved a considerable amount of money that I spent on gasoline instead. Besides, there were no restaurants on much of the Alaska Highway. I had two small pouch bags from my kid’s ATV days and I kept snacks like trail mix and jerky in one and cleaning supplies such as a small container of Dawn and microfiber cloths in the other.

Preparing the Rider

I am 65 years old and almost everyone at my age has some type of physical ailment to contend with. I have degenerative and arthritic discs in my neck. I was worried how my neck would hold up supporting a four-pound helmet every day.

I spent three and a half months at the community fitness center getting myself in shape. I also saw a chiropractor to get and keep my spine aligned. After the initial three weeks of twice a week appointments I saw her once a month for the five months leading up to my trip.
    I also saw Physical Therapist to continue working on flexibility and strength for my neck. I saw him twice a week for four weeks ahead of the trip.

I had prescription strength lidocaine patches I applied every day on the back of my neck and my wife bought me some KT tape that athletes use to calm over worked muscles. I was quite the sight each morning as I patched and taped myself together. I also took ibuprofen daily and an occasional muscle relaxer at night.

So, my neck did well on the trip. I would have stiffness and some aches most days, but it was not ride compromising. When my upper shoulders started becoming sore, I moved some of my tape and patches lower.

I know I am leaving something out of this recap so please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about my trip or taking a long-distance trip of your own. I am glad I had the experience and the opportunity to share it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scott, a great presentation you shared, kudos to you for getting yourself well prepped for the journey. Do you have a link to your add on highway pegs? I ride a 2020 RTL and often think I could change positions if I had the right pegs to adjust from the foot boards from time to time. I know there are several out there, I'd like to take a look at yours. By the way, really pleased the RTL held up so well on such an arduous road trip.

Spyder Garage

Highway footrests make a big difference on long trips, not only for your legs but the pressure point on your butt changes, too. With a driver's backrest you can really sit back and relax. I bought the Show Chrome highway pegs but I'm not enthusiastic about them. I liked Lamonsters set but they are $50 more so I went the cheaper route.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, Lamonster a bit pricey, SlingMods not bad. We shall see.

Spyder Garage

Did you replace your wool seat cover and cushion? If not, how was the ride without it?
    r/Bob
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

I did not get my seat cushion replaced. I stopped and looked at a Costco and Office Max store while I was in Anchorage. No seat cushions. I missed not having it but I do have a second one at home. Maybe it's time to try an air hawk type cushion. I still need to buy a new sheepskin.

Spyder Garage

If you purchase the Air Hawk please keep in mind that it takes an extremely little amount of air to feel right.
    Keep playing with the air pressures.
    If it has even a little amount of too much air you will feel like you are going to bounce or slide off of it… very uncomfortable.
    I have the original style Air Hawk purchased in 2008. Its been constantly on 4 different bikes/trike since then and now is being kept in reserve for the Spyder.. I find my Spyder seat comfortable enough so far that I don’t need the Air Hawk.. yet.

p.s. I too thank you for this excellent Alaska ride report. I looked forward to each day’s post. Glad to know you and the Spyder made the round trip just fine.. gives me more confidence to ride my RTL on longer trips.
    I never worried about getting from Point A to B and back on my Gold Wing trike but have been a little hesitant to ride the Spyder out on an extended travel trip just because I am new to the Spyder world and have read so much out here of what goes wrong with them.
    Last edited by Pooch; 07-20-2022 at 07:40 AM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...