Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solo to Alaska

Spyder Garage

My adventure is not over, yet!

My wife and I stayed up late last night searching for hotel rooms along the Cassiar Highway. Many of them you have to call since they don't use online services for reservations. With the Alaska Highway closed, everyone has moved over to the Cassiar and it is getting crazy with travelers. I'll have to stay an extra night in Watson Lake to make hotel scheduling work to get me past Banff and on to Edmonton.

So, things are working out. Looks like I found a use for those days I saved by not going to the Arctic Circle.

I'll post a ride report once I get to a place where I can breathe with decent WiFi.

Spyder Garage

I was just going to post some info when I saw your latest update. Stewart, Dease Lake, Bell, Watson Lake have gas and washrooms. I would say fill up always, the supplies may be low along the route. The roads are narrow lane with little shoulder and many bridges are single lane. There is abundant wildlife and many road crossings are likely. One short gravel stretch, otherwise paved or hard surface along route.
    This info was gleaned from a few sources, I have no experience on this road, just trying to get any bits of info that seem reliable to you.
    Safe travels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    STUCK IN ALASKA!

Found myself in a bind. It turns out the Alaska Highway is closed south of Watson Lake due to the road washing out. I don't see this getting fixed soon!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...hout-1.6508744

I now have to take the Cassiar highway. I am not as familiar with the Cassiar highway. Anybody know good hotels and gas stops?

For those of you who have traveled this before, I am open to suggestions.

Appreciate your help!
    Scott
    Never traveled the Cassiar highway, so, this time, I cannot be of any help with suggestions. RE: road closure...they usually get right on these situations as it's the only road, and travel must go on. I am guessing one or two days at the most for a "temporary" fix.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If it's not too late, I'd be inclined to stay put following ARtraveler's expertise about road repairs. Use the extra day or two to relax, maybe get another massage, and do some sightseeing. Just my thoughts but I'm a little late in the day posting.

And, I have been following your trip every day. Really enjoying "riding along". Thanks, and safe travels..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

STUCK IN ALASKA!

Found myself in a bind. It turns out the Alaska Highway is closed south of Watson Lake due to the road washing out. I don't see this getting fixed soon!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...hout-1.6508744
    I actually saw a news report on this and you were the first person that I thought about. I was wondering if this would effect you and how you would get around it. Thanks for all the post and updates.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have some ride reports to catch up on but I'm in the Yukon tapping on my phone. A single lane detour with pilot car has been opened. I cancelled my hotels on the Cassiar Highway and went back to the Alaska Highway route.

Spyder Garage

July 3, 2022

Palmer to Tok, AK

Mornings are fairly routine. I’m up around 5:30 am and out the door about 7:30 am. I knew that today would be my last full day in Alaska, so I wanted to be sure to take pictures along the way. Especially since I didn’t post any last report.

Travelers driving into Alaska will arrive at Tok about 90 miles into Alaska. From Tok, you either go northwest to Fairbanks or southwest to Anchorage with the two large cities connected by Route 3. I am doing the southwest leg back to Tok to complete this triangle. So, this will still be a new road for me.

As usual the scenery was gorgeous, and I took a few pictures early to be I had a few. The road out of Palmer was twisty through a heavily forested landscape.

Alaska July 3a.jpg Alaska July 3b.jpg
    Alaska July 3c.jpg

The surroundings were beautiful until I came upon the Matanuska Glacier. Then the descriptors had to go up a notch. There are tours that will take you up on the glacier. I didn’t allot time for that, so I just appreciated the magnificence of it all from the road.

Alaska July 3d.jpg Alaska July 3e.jpg
    Alaska July 3f.jpg Alaska July 3j.jpg

After the Matanuska glacier past, there was still amazing scenery on this road.

Alaska July 3g.jpg Alaska July 3h.jpg

I stopped at Glenallen for a break and coffee. On the way out I found a clearing near their airport for a picture.

Alaska July 3i.jpg Alaska July 3m.jpg

It’s tough to get a good picture off the windshield but I tried. My question is, based on the bug splatter pattern would you say the two bugs were of the same species or different species? The two splotches were right in the middle of my windshield and unavoidable to see which prompted that question to continually run through my mind for the last two hours into Tok.

Alaska July 3o.jpg

A little cleanup back at the RV wash I visited the first night in Alaska.

Alaska July 3n.jpg

And a comfortable little cabin to end the Alaska portion of the trip.

Alaska July 3p.jpg

There is a restaurant next door called Fast Eddy’s. I was having a taco salad and Corona when I decided to browse the Internet on my phone to see how the road conditions were on the Alaska Highway. I’ve had riders tell me there is a bad patch for 30 miles before the Canadian border and a bad patch near Destruction Bay.

“Oh, my goodness”, I said, or something like that, the Alaska Highway is closed south of Watson Lake! Based on the picture I saw it was a big washout. A chunk of road had washed away.

July 3q.jpg

The only other road out of Alaska and the NW is the Cassiar Highway. I did not do much research on it because I wasn’t planning on riding it. Now it was the only option. Back in my room I started trying to patch together an itinerary that would work for me south of Watson Lake. The WiFi connection was terrible, but my phone seemed to work the best. I worked with Carol until after midnight her time, but we finally put together a string of hotels to get me over the Cassiar and past the summer season crowd at Banff. It will require me to spend two nights in Watson Lake to make the hotel bookings work but I was taking a day off soon anyway, I was just hoping for a nicer motel in a larger town.
    Last edited by Scotts8826; 07-05-2022 at 07:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Did you notice if "Long Rifle" resort/restaurant was still at the foot of the Matanuska glacier? We used to stop there every time we were in the area. Neat restaurant and fantastic view of the glacier.

PS: you are riding and taking pictures of the "good stuff." That is a very nice ride. Also the way we took out of Alaska on our trip to Arkansas in May 2019.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-06-2022 at 01:07 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I did not stop at the Matanuska Glacier. It was awesome from the highway. I understand there is a tour as well but I did put time in my schedule for a visit.

Spyder Garage

July 4, 2022
    Tok, AK to Haines Junction, Yukon

A short thunderstorm rolled in last night. The young lady at the desk counter was saying they were hoping for the rain to break this terrible heat wave with temperatures in the upper 70’s. I chuckled to myself since my wife has been putting up with temperatures in Kansas City in the 90’s for a couple of weeks.

The storms had cleared out overnight and now it was blue skies, mild temperatures and the sun shining right in my face. I remembered to apply the sunscreen and off I went. Ninety miles to the border.

I needed one more picture of Alaska before I left the State.

20220704_090416.jpg

I was expecting this to be a “highly technical” day as I heard from other riders that there were bad patches of road as you neared the US/Canada border and there was another bad patch around Destruction Bay.

The first bad patch hit about 40 miles from the border. Lots of potholes and frost heaves. I slowed down (no traffic to hinder) and stayed alert. If a dark spot appeared on the road, I would change course enough to miss it, even going into the other lane since there would not be an oncoming car. It was tense but I made it to the border. The Spyder did not take any major hits. I know the bad road stories scare some people off this trip. As I said earlier, the bad spots are minimal to the overall number of miles you will travel.

The US Customs building sits right on the border, but the Canadian Customs building is about 20 kilometers down the road. I almost missed the turn-off for the Alaska signs. I stopped on the highway, saw an oncoming car was still distant enough that I could make my U-turn and go back to the Alaska sign. I already had a picture of me with the Welcome to Alaska sign, but this stop had a US/Canada border bench. My foot was in two countries at once!

20220704_091606.jpg 20220704_091702.jpg

The oncoming car also stopped, and I started up a conversation with the gentleman and his late-20’s daughter. Turns out she was a visiting nurse with a 3-month contract in Soldotna, AK. Her dad flew to California from New Hampshire to drive her up to Soldotna. I told them about the sights to see, the Matanuska Glacier, the sights around Turnagain Arm and such. As we were talking, a tour bus showed up and a bus load of people got off to take pictures. We were politely asked to move out of the way of someone’s picture of the boundary marker. I helped my new friends with a couple of pictures and then took off again.

I shortly made it to the Canadian Customs building. A HD Triglide was finishing up. When the bike moved on to a shoulder I was waved on in. She would probably not want to hear it but the Canadian Customs lady I spoke with at the border was very sweet. She only asked for my passport, ran through the customary questions, handed me back my passport and then talked to me about my Spyder. I told her it was assembled in her country in Quebec. She seemed a little surprised. We chatted for about five minutes then I moved on to the same shoulder the Triglide was. We spoke as we both put things away. They knew about the closing of the Alaskan Highway but had no idea what they would do except continue to ride south. They had not found any hotel near or on the Cassiar Highway with available rooms. Not even Watson Lake which for me was still another day out. A lady at a lodge in Iskut where I will be staying on the Cassiar said things are crazy. Her hotel has people in the parking lot sleeping in their cars and sleeping on the ground. I am so thankful that my wife and I were able to secure lodging while we did.

Marshlands and mountains continued to fill the landscape.

20220704_121934.jpg 20220704_122047.jpg

Even the paved roads are a bit rough. They use chip seal which is smashing down pebbles of all shapes and contours into the asphalt. I bet my tires lost as much tread in a day as they do in a week on regular pavement. This picture was at a pullout where I stopped to have lunch. The actual highway is not much better.

20220704_131133.jpg

I was getting close to Destruction Bay. The body of water is Kluane Lake, but I have no idea why the area is referred to as a bay. This was spot number two for a bad stretch of road. I stayed vigilant as I drew nearer. The road had an occasional pothole but nothing to be alarmed about. I filled up at a motel/restaurant/gas stop and had a cup of coffee and rest. Perhaps the bad spot was south of town. I traveled 30 miles south and never did see anything of a concern. At that point, I put my feet up on my pegs, leaned back and relaxed.

20220704_144709.jpg 20220704_144643.jpg

I rolled into my stop for the night, Haines Junction. Another small village crossroads but as I was getting gas, I noticed the scenery around town is not too shabby.

20220704_155100.jpg
    Last edited by Scotts8826; 07-06-2022 at 08:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

July 5, 2022
    Haines Junction to Watson Lake, Yukon

The motels along the Alaskan Highway and many points in Alaska are old mom and pop motels. They are clean and tidy but older furnishings, no AC once your cross into Yukon, and dated décor. I really like the motel I stayed at in Haines Junction. It didn’t cost much more than what I’ve paid for lesser rooms. It only had eight rooms, but it was like I was staying as a true guest, not a customer. Big round of applause for Parkside Inn.

20220704_155843 (1).jpg

Crisp, cool morning with temperatures nearing 80 by the time I’m done riding, so I shed a layer to start. I was cool, not cold in the morning and plenty comfortable for the ride. I mainly wanted to stay away from some rain I could see in the distance.

20220705_080455.jpg

I thought I should take a picture of something besides mountains, lakes or trees. Here is one of the little flowering bushes all along the highway (with trees and mountains in the background).

20220705_081834.jpg

The motorcycle traffic has increased since my last time through this area a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I am heading south now, not north. I’ve seen more motorcycles today than I have the entire trip. I don’t know if the season for riding to Alaska is now in full swing or if the Alaska Highway washout bunched them all together? I stopped for lunch and gas in Teslin where I had a late breakfast on the way up. True, it was lunch time now, but the parking was filled with motorcycles.

20220705_115342.jpg

I wanted to show you what a rest stop looks like on the Alaska Highway. I decided to take a picture at the next one I came across. It was just outside Teslin and the busiest rest stop I have seen the whole trip. Usually, there is just an RV and maybe a truck. I don’t know what was so popular with this one. This was an upscale rest stop because it has a pit toilet. Many are just big parking spaces. The one’s in Canada always have a bear proof trash can.

20220705_132640.jpg

I was about 50 miles from Watson Lake when I saw something in the distance. A FIRE. Since I can’t take pictures while I’m driving, I missed getting one where I could see the flames leaping up. I’ve seen bear, bison, a fox, moose, mountains, trees, rivers and lakes. Now I can add one more thing the great Northwest is known for.

20220705_143823.jpg 20220705_145013.jpg

Tomorrow I’ll be using the detour to get around the Alaska Highway washout. I don’t know how long it is going to take but it is going to be shorter than the extra day or more I would have needed had I take the Cassiar Highway alternate route.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an itinerary set up for each day but I am anticipating it will change once I am on the road due to weather, sights, or additional rest days. The primary path is going north on I-29 where I will travel through Minot, ND and cross the border at Portal, ND. I will continue on to Calgary and ride through Banff and Jasper Parks. Continuing along the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse, Yukon. From there if the weather is good I will leave the Alaska Highway and visit Dawson City, Yukon and ride the Top of the World Highway which leads back to the Alaska Highway. On to Fairbanks, the Arctic Circle, down to Denali, Anchorage, Seward, Homer and then back again but going through Edmonton.
    Planned itinerary;

Kansas City, KS to TOTW Hwy https://goo.gl/maps/5kF4g7CS3TsoZtG68

Dawson Ferry, Denali, etc then home https://goo.gl/maps/otZrsEGDNXgPeRHY7
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actual Itinerary;

As of 7/6/22 Watson Lake to Haines Jct via Tok, Homer, Tok https://goo.gl/maps/96jsmcVvB67VUWcc9
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-07-2022 at 07:17 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

July 6, 2022
    Watson Lake to Fort Nelson, BC

July 7, 2022
    Fort Nelson, rest day

Here is a comparison of motel rooms and it will give you an idea why I liked the Parkside Inn so much. The Yukon is where the old waterbed furniture of the 1980;s disappeared to.

20220705_181309.jpg

I wasn’t outside Watson Lake very far when I ran into a herd of Bison. I was glad none of them were on the road, so I gently but firmly made my way past them.

20220706_081117.jpg

The old saying “Once bitten, twice shy” was rumbling in my head. On the way up the Alaska Highway the Liard Hot Springs gas stop was out of gas, and I had to hold my breath getting to Contact Creek. Even though I had only gone 40 miles I stopped at Contact Creek again and topped off. It is a nice mom-and-pop store run by an elderly couple. I’m not sure what places like this will do once they want to retire or give it up. I don’t envision a young couple wanting to run an isolated, old gas stop but the travelers need them.

20220706_083047.jpg

Just a little further down the highway I came upon the detour for the washed-out highway. As the Alaskan Highway was upgraded and paved over the years, some sections were abandoned, and new pavement placed elsewhere. The Alaskan Highway of today is a bit shorter than the original. There was a connection to an old section of the highway near the washout. So, some heavy equipment and construction workers came in and smoothed and graded the old dirt highway so big rigs and RVs could use it to pass the closed section. It was able to handle one way traffic. It took about ten minutes to wait for the pilot truck and five minutes to ride it. Added a bit of history to the day. While I was waiting for the pilot truck I looked to my right and saw a nice pond. If you can blow up the picture you will see what I think is a beaver dam.

20220706_084025.jpg 20220706_084436.jpg

Speaking of beaver dams, that is what caused the washout. Actually, it was too much rain, but a beaver dam broke, and a torrent of water rushed down stream and did the damage. Here is a picture of the culprit.

Wanted: Bea Ver, for failing to comply with local building codes.

beaver2.jpg

I rode back through Muncho Lake. This is a huge Provincial Park. A third of my day was spent with the maximum speed limit at 50, but it gave me another opportunity to view the wonders of the area.

20220706_104506.jpg 20220706_104514.jpg

The water of Muncho Lake was a vivid aqua color.

20220706_105237.jpg

I was needing gas and thought I would stop at the Northern Rockies Lodge located in Muncho Lake. I had heard they had high gas prices, but it seemed like it would be a good place to stop and have lunch. Well, the gas was $2.79 CD per liter which comes out to $8.38 a gallon US. I parked my bike and went in for coffee which was $4.02 US for a 12 oz cup. After dealing with those prices, I decided the place must be too upscale for me. So, I took my coffee and went back to my Spyder and had a wrap for lunch.

20220706_112306.jpg

Later in the day some rain clouds were forming and looking menacing. They were broken up, so I wasn’t too concerned. It lightly rained on me for about five minutes.

I have mentioned the metal grate bridges that strike fear in many motorcyclists. I came across a bridge that had a pullout close enough for me to run over to the bridge and take a picture of the grate. Thin motorcycle tires can’t decide where to track on this or grip. Even a Spyder will be a little squirrelly.

20220706_131047.jpg

I made it into Fort Nelson. It is a town of only 3,000 people but it seems like a metropolis after staying villages of 400-800 people. It is big enough to start having chain hotels with air-conditioning! It was so nice to walk into my COOL room. I’ve been on the road seven days straight, but it was time for me to take a rest day and I wanted the room to be nice and comfortable. No waterbed furniture!

Rest Day

Caught up with all by chores by noon. The biggest thing I did in the afternoon was go for a walk.

Today was the first day I felt homesick. Every other day I always had a destination, a goal or an activity that was driving me forward. Even yesterday I had to get past the washout that caused so much stress the last few days. With too much time on my hands this afternoon I started thinking about the ride home. That is my goal now, but it is still six days away with many miles to log. No way to hurry it up, I just have to take it day by day.

Spyder Garage

Default Cheese Grater

I lived in Seattle many years and there are MANY grated bridges there. I always thought those bridges were cheese graters and I was the cheese..... Scary. Safe travels..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I lived in Seattle many years and there are MANY grated bridges there. I always thought those bridges were cheese graters and I was the cheese..... Scary. Safe travels..... Jim
    especially on 2 wheels.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

July 8, 2022
    Fort Nelson to Dawson Creek, BC

I didn’t watch any tv last night. Using the remotes was too much for me.

20220707_132340.jpg

It felt good to get on the road this morning. After seven days on the road, I needed the break I took in Fort Nelson but it was gnawing at me that I wasn’t getting any closer to home. The skies were cloudy with dark grey clouds and the threat of rain most of the morning.

The first 140 miles were uneventful. I pulled into a gas stop at Pink Mountain. I had stopped here on the way up to Alaska when it was raining, and I was cold and wet. I pulled into the pump and “What’s this?”

20220708_110025.jpg 20220708_110020.jpg

I had pulled $100 CD from an ATM when I first crossed the border way back at Portal, ND. I reached into my wallet, and I still had $60 left. I pulled out two twenty’s and went inside the store. I pumped in $36.50 and bought a coffee for $3 so my forty dollars was gone but I was happy I had the money to buy the gas. The clerk said it was an outage across his region. My final stop would be in Dawson Creek, so if they had problems, I would try to pull more CD from an ATM.

I had mentioned the work camps in a previous ride report. I came across a big one and snapped a picture. It looked like a permanent site and there were a few industrial/Energy/Factory/Road Construction sites within 20 miles to warrant a full-time location.

20220708_114102.jpg

I pulled over to have lunch and take a break at a typical rest stop. It had a pit toilet but for my purposes the weeds behind the bike worked just fine.

20220708_121316.jpg

I stopped in Fort St. John which is the biggest town in the region and the gas pumps worked fine. Also, in Dawson Creek. You don’t pay at the pump at those isolated pumps, but you go inside, and they run your card. It probably doesn’t take much to knock them offline.

As I hit the edge of Dawson Creek city limits, I saw a Flying J gas stop. Not the big truck stops I’m used to seeing in the States.

20220708_135419.jpg

I got into town a little early, so I stopped back at the Visitors Center to see if there were any last-minute items I needed. The center is next to the Alaska Highway sign which was a busy place this afternoon.

20220708_141117.jpg

I arrived at the hotel about 45 minutes before official check-in but they were able to accommodate me. Tomorrow, I’ll be riding a new road into Edmonton, so I’ll be looking over gas stops this evening.

Spyder Garage

July 9, 2022
    Dawson Creek to Edmonton, Alberta

I left the Alaska Highway this morning. I remember how it was a major point of accomplishment for me when I drove into Dawson Creek a few weeks ago and saw the Mile 0 sign. I had made it to the Alaska Highway but most of my adventure sill lay ahead.

As I left Dawson Creek, I was heading away from the mountains and hills. The landscape became flatter and turned to farming and ranching. Broad swaths of green with a little aroma of cattle thrown in. I’m from Kansas so I’ve seen a thing or two on farms and ranches, but I’ve never seen livestock that looked like this!

20220709_092508.jpg

I rode into Grande Prairie where I had intended to get gas. I was right by a Costco, so I pulled into the gas station and when I was done, I decided to stretch my legs in Costco. I didn’t need anything but grabbed a cart, nonetheless. I have a terrible record of picking the worst cart in any store and this was no exception. Its either pulling or squeaking and sometimes both. Not much storage capacity left on my Spyder so I left empty handed.

I continued to ride on with Highway 43 becoming a four-land divided highway. I could run it up to 70 mph (110 KPH). My next stop was in Valleyview. I pulled into a station for gas, and this is what I saw!

20220709_113921.jpg

So, on this trip I’ve had No Premium, No gas, No credit - cash only, now no regular octane gas! I’ve already become a convert to regular and now I can’t get any. I spoiled my baby with some high-octane gasoline to get back on the road but pushed the regular gas button the next time I filled up.

Before I left Valleyview I saw a rest stop with the town’s visitor center. I pulled in to have my lunch and a Red Bull. There was a picnic area on a hill, so I walked over and saw proper livestock.

20220709_115637.jpg

I stopped in Whitecourt to get a Tim Hortons coffee and a bagel. I am now down to two days riding in Canada and while I hope to stop at Tim Hortons again, I don’t want to take it for granted. Looking at my phone I was still 2 hours from my hotel and the skies were threatening.

The forecast for rain begins at 5:30 pm and my projected time of arrival is 4:30 pm. There were scattered showers around me, but I avoided any direct contact. The rain began in Edmonton at 6 pm. I may not have the same luck tomorrow. The forecast is 75% chance of rain each hour all the way to Saskatoon, my next and last evening in Canada.

Spyder Garage

July 10, 2022
    Edmonton to Saskatoon, SK

A few days ago, the weather report was forecasting rain for today from Lloydminster to Saskatoon at 70% all afternoon. I was expecting to get wet, but I've only had to deal with three hours of rain on my first day on the Alaska Highway. I am fortunate. However, last night and this morning the rain chances had dropped to 35%. I had brought my rain gear into the hotel room in case I needed it but I put it back in my saddlebag. Let's be optimistic.

On the way East out of Edmonton I could see I was riding into clouds in the distance but they were not dark and grey. Nothing to worry about.

20220710_082856.jpg

Being from Kansas I have seen farmland used for corn, soybeans, wheat, etc. But I had never seen anything like this being cultivated in Kansas.

20220710_093947.jpg 20220710_115118.jpg

It was eye-catching to look at the yellow tops of the plant set against the green fields. I texted my farm and ranch expert I have on retainer to ask him what I was seeing. He said it was canola. Canola! I never would have thought of that in a million years! These fields went on for miles and miles. Basically, my whole day. Alberta and Saskatchewan must be the World Capitol of Canola! It was fascinating to look at and helped me pass the day.

20220710_115126.jpg 20220710_115146.jpg

I stopped at Tim Hortons in Battleford for lunch. I’m starting to see why Timmy’s is so popular. I had one of their bowls for lunch and a coffee. I had a bagel yesterday, but I have not tried the donuts or pastries, yet. I may have to deal with the flood of carbohydrates into my body and try one before I leave Canada.

Late afternoon it was still sunny. Some big heavy clouds were hanging around, but the sun brought the temperatures up to mid-seventies. Looks like I dodged the rain again.

20220710_134220.jpg

A scenic river view about thirty miles from Saskatoon.

20220710_140019.jpg 20220710_140208.jpg

This was a short five-hour ride time for me. Originally, I thought it would work out fine since I was going to have rain to deal with, but I arrived in Saskatoon at 3:00 pm. The desk clerk must have reacted to my engaging personality because she offered to upgrade me at no cost. Or, it was really slow at the hotel tonight. Either way, I accepted her offer and she put me in a suite! Oh, Canada, making one more good impression on me.

20220710_145132.jpg

And no waterbed furniture!

Crows and Cannabis - A couple things I had neglected to mention in previous posts.

I have seen more crows in NW Canada then all other birds combined. They congregate along the highways pecking at the carrion from roadkill. And the pecking must be good. The crow should be the official bird of NW Canada.

Alaska is a legal State for recreational cannabis. There was a marijuana dispensary everywhere I looked. There would be a small village of 600-800 people and there would be a dispensary, sometimes two! I bet they have more dispensaries per capita than any other State. I guess they need to pass the long winters somehow.

The last two days have been short, five-hour saddle days. The final three days home I make up for that averaging six and a half hours. Tomorrow, I cross back into the States.
    Last edited by Scotts8826; 07-10-2022 at 05:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanx so much, Scott, for your detailed descriptions of “what you see”. Have been watching this thread since you started. And, as I’ve been stuck on this JD combine for over two weeks straight (and don’t have a chance to ride my new F3-S Daytona), you provide my “fix” by proxy !!! Thoroughly enjoying your trip you’ve taken us on. Safe travels!

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

BCNewell - Thanks to you and all the readers for coming along and being a part of my journey.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BCNewell - Thanks to you and all the readers for coming along and being a part of my journey.
    I lived in Fort St John for 52 years and drove rhe highway ro Whitehorse half a dozen times. Your narration brought back a lot of memories. Thank you!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Another round of thanks for your thread. Having lived in AK from 2001 until 2019 I am familiar with most of the stuff you posted about. I got to re live my trips both to and from Alaska. We made one "side trip" to Whitehorse and Skagway in 2010.

It was great to see that there have hardly been any changes in all those years.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

July 11, 2022
    Saskatoon, SK to Minot, ND

I am getting close to home with only three days left to travel but today will be a long one. A seven-hour road day with another couple hours for lunch, gas and breaks and I’m looking at a nine-hour day. Whew!

It is a gorgeous day and perfect for motorcycle riding. My Spyder is humming along and working like a champ. The left mirror is a little wobbly compared to the right. The saddlebag doors are sticking, too. Both issues I’ve seen addressed on Spyderlovers so I’ll do a little research on them when I get home.

I was north of Moose Jaw when I came across the Buffalo Pound Lake. A nice, picturesque lake.

20220711_094023.jpg 20220711_094056.jpg

I was still seeing canola fields. I was curious about them, so I stopped and had a closeup view of them.

20220711_095441.jpg

I may be fixated on canola at the present but there is still lots of green out there.

20220711_095753.jpg

You need a place to store your harvest, too.

20220711_100653.jpg

I decided to stop in Weyburn for lunch. I still had some Canadian money I needed to spend, and Tim Hortons seemed like a good place. I pulled into the same Tim Hortons that I had first stopped at four weeks ago. In the parking lot I saw another Spyder! I’ve only seen four Spyders the entire four weeks I’ve been on this trip. I don’t remember the couple’s home city, but they were from Ontario heading to see relatives somewhere in Saskatchewan.

20220711_115251.jpg

While I was in Weyburn I decided to stop in at Walmart. There was something outside the front door of Walmart that I have not seen in a loooong time.

20220711_122311.jpg

Perhaps Walmart does have anything you could want.

I finally got to the border. I was behind a camper van, and I could see the Border Agent looking in a couple of motorcycles’ saddlebags. When it was the camper van’s turn, the agent opened the side door and looked inside and then opened the back tailgate door and looked around.

20220711_140935.jpg

I was expecting the search when I pulled up and he asked to see inside my saddlebags and top case. He did not do a deep search, just took a glance inside. I was glad he did not look at one of the side bags off my dry bag because I had a Tim Hortons cinnamon bun hiding in one. I don’t know if a cinnamon bun is considered contraband or not? He didn’t look, I didn’t tell. My bun was safe and so was my breakfast tomorrow morning!

It was still an hour and a half to Minot. After nine hours of travel, I made it to my hotel. There is an Applebee’s across the parking lot and I got an oriental salad to go and crashed in my room for the evening.

Unfortunately, tomorrow is also a long day, but it does bring me another day closer to home. If things continue to go well, I’ll be home late afternoon on July 13th!
    Last edited by Scotts8826; 07-11-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Kudo's to you and thank-you again for sharing. Inspiring!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020