Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Solo to Alaska

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scott for the comprehensive information. Regarding the ArriveCan app and vaccines, I am a Canadian who recently returned from the NW Spyder rally in Diamond Lake, OR. I uploaded my information on our last day in Washington, and crossed the border about 90 minutes later. The customs guy didn't ask for my vaccine proof, only my Passport. I have concluded that my vaccine history was linked to my Passport.

Cool thing about the bike is no delay at both US and Canadian customs, as little area to search

I have a US dollar credit card and bank account from my Canadian bank, thus use this card for purchasing goods in the US and likewise pay my credit card from the account.

Really enjoyed about your trip.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

Gravel Roads???? Years ago, when we went to Alaska, we ended up driving our truck on a lot of roads under repair, for many miles at a time. One section of road under repair was 30 miles long!!! I've always wanted to do the trip on my Spyder but gravel roads concern me. Is that only a concern in my head or issue when driving a Spyder with the belt drive.
    Last edited by HagermanSpyder; 07-21-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

The gravel roads were a concern but since there was no belt guard available for the 2020+ RTL model, I had to take the risk. I don't know the level of risk, but I would have put a belt guard on if one was available. Same for the bump skid.

Spyder Garage

2016 was my 65th year and like you I said better do it now or I may never be able to do it. So I planned and executed a 7 week trip from Raleigh, NC to Alaska and back on my 2013 BMW R1200 GSA. Your report brought back many memories and was excellently done. Afterwards I said to myself I might be doing this again in a few years and a buddy and I planned a 2019 trip...his broken ankle a few months before departure nixed that and our plans for 2020 and 2021 were foiled by Covid. Now 71 and my wife having health issues that keep me close to home, it looks less likely an adventure of this nature will take place again. Lesson for all, do it now.

And for those planning a trip to Alaska, the Cassier Highway with a side trip to Stewart/Hyder and the Salmon Glacier is worthwhile.

Spyder Garage

Loved this account of your epic journey. Read it from start to finish in one sitting. Just like a good book that 'ya can't put down. Book? Hmmm...
    Thanks for sharing!

Spyder Garage

I'm glad you enjoyed the ride report. The Canadian Northwest and Alaska are so vast it cannot all be seen and experienced in one trip. I'd love to go back to see things I missed but that will be 2 or 3 years before I can make that happen.

Spyder Garage

Just ran across your trip report. Did it twice. Your report brought back memories. Second trip veered off course to Yellowknife, Dawson City, etc. Did make it to the Arctic Circle. The following year rode across Newfoundland. Keep on riding.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for reviving the thread. It was great to re-read it and to see the great scenery. We lived there for 18 years. Now, a nice place to visit, but I like the Ozarks and Arkansas better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Scott, I just read your ride report (book) and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    2019 RTL , Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. My solo ride to Alaska was an amazing experience and one that was made extra special by having the Spyderlovers community along for the ride. Since it is the middle of winter, I hope reading this report helps stimulate planning for riding adventures for this coming riding season!