Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo to Alaska

Spyder Garage

Default Solo to Alaska

Yes, you read that right, I am riding to Alaska on my 2020 RTL. I will be leaving my home in the Kansas City area on June 16th. I will be on the road for 32 days. Why alone? It is difficult to find someone you already know that is available for a month, rides a motorcycle or Spyder, and wants to ride this far. A long motorcycle ride is not the time for me to discover another rider’s personality, likes, dislikes or riding preferences so, I am taking this adventure on my own. As usual, there are pros and cons to riding alone.

I have been wanting to take this adventure for almost five years, now. I was envious of the “North to Alaska” group and the trip Yazz took. In the fall of 2017, I began to conceptualize the trip. Summer 2018 came around and since I was still working, I did not have enough vacation time accrued. The summer of 2019 I retired but I had mentally spent the spring deciding to retire, wrapping up my job and arranging my retirement financing. So, I finally had the time, but I had not properly prepared. Summer of 2020 and 2021 knocked us all off our feet with Covid. Now, inflation and gas prices are threatening the trip, but Covid taught me that unforeseen events can derail the best laid plans. I am also 65 years old, and I can tell you I am not getting physically or mentally stronger as the years go by. So, “damn the torpedoes and inflation, full speed ahead”.

I have family and friends that want to follow me on this trip so this forum was the best option I could come up with that would allow them to do so. I also felt that the more people who know I’m on the road the better. While I am hoping for a flawless trip, if a difficult situation arises, people on this forum may be able to assist me in resolving it. I like reading ride reports on this and other websites but I really enjoy the reports that are closer to real time instead of post-ride recaps. So, I am taking everyone along with me to experience the good and the bad. I really don't know what to expect since I've never taken a motorcycle trip this long before. So, I'll be learning along the way. I may not post everyday while on the trip but I do plan to write on a regular basis.

I may post again before I leave on June 16th. Feel free to ask questions during the trip and yes, there will be pictures!

Spyder Garage

Will you be posting your route prior to the start?
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

I have an itinerary set up for each day but I am anticipating it will change once I am on the road due to weather, sights, or additional rest days. The primary path is going north on I-29 where I will travel through Minot, ND and cross the border at Portal, ND. I will continue on to Calgary and ride through Banff and Jasper Parks. Continuing along the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse, Yukon. From there if the weather is good I will leave the Alaska Highway and visit Dawson City, Yukon and ride the Top of the World Highway which leads back to the Alaska Highway. On to Fairbanks, the Arctic Circle, down to Denali, Anchorage, Seward, Homer and then back again but going through Edmonton.

Spyder Garage

Good for you! The Mrs and I have just left Victoria BC for Newfoundland and other points east, and will probably be on the road for some two months - thinking some 20,000 Kms round trip. 2014 Spyder RTL with an N-Line trailer. She and I did the Victoria to Dawson City return in 2019 on my ex-1500 Gold Wing. Met people along the way, but riding by ourselves. We discussed fuel and you are right, can't let these issues stop you from doing what you want, besides, it's not something you do every year. Next year we're heading to Tuktoyaktuk for the solstice around 21 June.

Couple of suggestions for the trip. Cell phone coverage throughout BC can be spotty, or next to zip. We use a Garmin inReach Explorer for our trips, I use this for around home as well. You will always be able to get in touch with someone for emergencies. Has preset and customizable messages that you can send, can send/recieve emails when the cell phone or internet not available.

Has a MapShare aspect where you input contacts, have the unit send out tracking points that are put on a map and you can share this web site with whomever so they can follow your route - works real well.

The inReach mini is a more inexpensive option, gives you a lot of the same features as the Exporer, but not as many. You can buy and take with you, set up en route.

The Garmin units are, IMHO, the best of what is out there. You do need a subscription and there is an activation fee. The Freedom plans are monthly, cancel or change plans at any time. The annual subscription has the same activation fee, but you keep for a year, afterwhich you can cancel the plan. Cancelling the plan before the year is up and you are on the hook for the remainder of the year. The annual monthly subscription for the basic plan is only $15.00 CDN, have upgraded the plan to the next level for the trip we are on to use the unlimited tracking aspect. The basic plan allows for tracking but you pay for every tracking point sent and over a two month cross Canada trip this can be expensive. Same for youself, the basic plan would not be good for a month long trip away. You can use the upgraded plan monthly as well - does not require an annual subscription. The annual plan is less expensive than the month to month.

Check out the Alaska Highway museum in Dawson Creek, very good.

Take a licence plate size sign with your particulars on it for the Sign Post City in Watson Lake. You can buy one in Watson Lake, but then you need to particularize it to suit. There is a good science display in Waston Lake, like an amphitheatre. Had a feature on the Northern Lights.

Have a good road side package, never know when needed. Roads up north are asphalt and chip seal, or under construction. Can be hard on used tires. On the Canadian side, north of Prince George, next stop for a dealer ATV, motorcycle or otherwise is Whitehorse. Watson Lake, maybe, but the businesses there get there inventory from Whitehorse. Dawson Creek is a good place to do a once over of your ride.

A friend told me years ago that to tour you need three things. Do all the maintenance/work you can before you go. If you think of something and say to yourself I'll do this when I get back, do it before - it'll probably surface en route and bite you in the arse if you don't. Have a good road side package, and VISA - then go have a great trip.

Understand the age/health issue, I'm 68 - do it now while you can.

This thread on the ADVrider forum is a good read and very inspirational:

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/1...-much.1562959/

Good luck, & be safe out there.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2022 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Caps; then - than; + ;-)
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Hope you enjoy your trip immensely. Ride safe and have fun!
    Ryker Rally 2022 - customized into a very special one of a kind touring edition .
    H&R swaybar + end links - F4 16" windshield - warning lights - scuff plate - jockey shifter - Commander floorboards - - Big Eye mirrors - BLR overflow - Spyderextras driver backrest - custom build racks - MoskoMoto backcountry panniers & Givi topcase

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your insight, Red. I plan on making my first “rest” day in Dawson Creek so I’ll visit the museum.

I had thought about the satellite phone/tracker but I have not picked one up. I may hear about it again if my wife reads your post.

I understand about the ounce of prevention. I had originally planned to leave on June 15th but I had my 9000 mile service done on June 3rd even though it only had 6000 miles. I still have the crappy Kenda’s and the dealer said I would only last 2,000 more miles. A new Kenda wouldn’t even last my whole trip! So, I needed a new tire and not the Kenda and the nearest place I know of to get that done is Lamonster’s in Springfield and the earliest they could get me in was June 15th. I am either postponing my trip a day or adding an additional day of riding (it is a 6 hour ride time down and back) depending on how you look at it but I’d rather start with a good tire than worry about it a week into the trip.
    Any idea where the northern most Spyder dealer is located? Just in case I need something? I know Whitehorse has a dealer that sells ATV and snowmobiles but don’t know about Spyder mechanics.
    Grabbing a sign for the Signpost Forest is one of those things I keep forgetting. I’ll need to create something in the next couple of days.”

I have spent hours on the ADVrider forum. A great place for long distance motorcycle travel information. I considered blogging there but I didn’t want to get into the “a Spyder is not a motorcycle” debate. Besides, Spyderlovers seemed more appropriate.

Today (Monday) is the last full day I have to prepare since I am spending Tuesday with my 2 year old granddaughter and Wednesday I head to Sprngfield.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Something I have dreamed of doing for years, but like you i do not have enough vacation time ot do it yet. 5 more long years to retirement and then I hope to give it a shot.

Have a safe trip, post lots of pictures!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Let me start by saying I am envious of you and wish you the best on this trip. I too had a plan to take something similar, but I just wanted to ride from the east to the west coast and then return through yellowstone and also see the grand canyon and other sites. But in 2020 Covid hit and made things more difficult. So with the delays, came additional financial situations that had to be taken care of. I have set a time frame, and have 4 years to do this trip. I am looking at taking 6-8 weeks and seems like I also might be doing this alone. Seems that all my riding buddies either are going down in health and do not feel up to the task, or not in a position to take time to do the trip. I had some serous back issues the first of this year and decided that I am not getting any younger or in any better shape. I feel great now, but don't want to be sitting somewhere when I am 70+ saying, "I wish I had done this or that". God speed to you friend, and I will definitely be checking your post.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Solo to Alaska

I too have thought of doing this trip. Wife now has her three wheel license and has said that she wants to go back once more. ( She spent 13 weeks as a locum tenum(sp) in Barrow, Alaska. can't get too much further north than that!!)

I have never been, but want to go before I get too old and feeble to make the trip. Will see how i feel about this after returning from my two lane road trip to California and South Dakota. Am stopping in northern California to get a new Seth Laam seat on my F3-T. That will make the remainder of the current trip more enjoyable!!

Am planning a together trip to Vermont with the spouse for this fall. Just need to put a Vedestein rear tire on her 2021 Rt before we depart.

Would also require new tires just before departure for the time out camper.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

As someone who spent most of two decades running cross-country as a solo 18-wheeler driver, there were very few times when I was genuinely and truly helpless due to a mechanical problem. Even then, it just takes time (sometimes more time than you'd like) to find help. My experience is people in the least populated areas tend to look out for anyone who is out of place and are always willing to lend a hand.

I rode solo from California to Milwaukee WI in 2003 for Harley-Davidson's 100th anniversary. My wife was not too sure, and a lot of people I met along the way seemed to be concerned, but with my driving experience I was not overly worried. It turned out I was right. Granted, HD has a more extensive dealer network than Can-Am, but the only stop I made at a dealer was for an oil change or just to visit. Otherwise, no major problems in riding 5200 miles over two weeks.

So, keep in mind that riding or driving solo does not mean you're entirely on your own. It does mean that sometimes you'll need to bring a little ingenuity to fix things. A basic set of tools, which came with your Spyder, is usually enough. Don't load up on a bunch of stuff you may or may not need, and more than anything, enjoy the trip!

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by RideOn; 06-13-2022 at 11:05 AM.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear of your upcoming trip. Be sure to keep us posted as it progresses.

I lived in AK from 2001 through 2019. I was one of Yazz's contacts way back when. We met up with her again in Hot Springs AR last summer. She visited us and rode with us one day.

I was also involved with the North to Alaska group. They spent a few days with us when their home base was Eagle River. We had a great time. I was Akspyderman in those days.

We met up with Karyl again (the founder of the NtA group), met up with her, and some others in 2019 in Grove OK.

When I left AK (2019) the two dealers for Spyder had both discontinued carrying the product. Meaning...no reliable service. An earlier post mentioned Whitehorse (one of your pass throughs), if you need service that might be the place to go. I have not checked if there is any current service in AK....but they would all be far away from your AK itinerary anyway.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-14-2022 at 11:47 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

+100 on riding with a satellite tracker (Garmin is best). You will be in many areas with no cell service and the tracker lets you send texts and will show where you are along the way to whoever you give the tracking URL to. I've made a couple 5000+ mile trips and wouldn't think to be without the tracker.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Best of luck. Have your VISA with you and enjoy. Lots of places on the road to get what you have not taken. Post lots of pics. Good luck and safe riding.
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Scotts, sounds like a fantastic trip! I live in Saint Albert, a town that borders Edmonton. My schedule is up in the air at the moment but I'll be watching your progress and if I'm home I would love to buy you supper and hear about your trip.

When I retired in 2015 I set out on a bucket list trip through Canada to Newfoundland, with the return starting in Maine and across the U.S. to Montana, then back into Alberta. Unfortunately, while stopped at a light just north of Montreal, a ^&%!! dumb SOB hit me from behind doing 60 KPH. Witnesses said he didn't touch his brakes. Bike was a write-off and the Dr and police said I should be a write-off too. Apparently my head was the first thing to contact the road and the impact literally cracked my fairly new Nolan full-face helmet.

My 2022 RTL is at the dealership but of course missing some components (windshield motor and reverse gear actuator). If I get it by mid August I'm going to ride to Ottawa to see my daughter, then to Virginia to see my sister, then Spyderquest in New York. I don't have any time limitations other than winter so from Ottawa I may finish the bucket list trip (I have a very supportive and understanding wife!!).

Scotts and Rednaxs, good luck and enjoy your trips!
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    Scotts, sounds like a fantastic trip! I live in Saint Albert, a town that borders Edmonton. My schedule is up in the air at the moment but I'll be watching your progress and if I'm home I would love to buy you supper and hear about your trip.

When I retired in 2015 I set out on a bucket list trip through Canada to Newfoundland, with the return starting in Maine and across the U.S. to Montana, then back into Alberta. Unfortunately, while stopped at a light just north of Montreal, a ^&%!! dumb SOB hit me from behind doing 60 KPH. Witnesses said he didn't touch his brakes. Bike was a write-off and the Dr and police said I should be a write-off too. Apparently my head was the first thing to contact the road and the impact literally cracked my fairly new Nolan full-face helmet.

My 2022 RTL is at the dealership but of course missing some components (windshield motor and reverse gear actuator). If I get it by mid August I'm going to ride to Ottawa to see my daughter, then to Virginia to see my sister, then Spyderquest in New York. I don't have any time limitations other than winter so from Ottawa I may finish the bucket list trip (I have a very supportive and understanding wife!!).

Scotts and Rednaxs, good luck and enjoy your trips!
    So glad your still here, sounds like it could have been much worse.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

My pre-trip ride to Springfield is completed. It was about a seven-hour ride down and back with a couple hours in Nixa for lunch and my tire. While I was there, I also had my DESS disabled. I haven’t had any issues with it but no sense in pushing my luck with it in sparsely populated places.

While I was there, I had the pleasure of talking with Joan for a bit. Her sweet dog (a long-haired Chihuahua) even jumped on my lap for some attention.

The ride gave me a couple of additional ideas for my trip. One of them was to take my wife’s sheep skin seat cover. It was toasty out there today and my rear end was a little warm.

Anyway, the real ride starts tomorrow morning. I may not make every night but I will try to post my travel experiences most evenings.
    Last edited by Scotts8826; 07-20-2022 at 05:34 PM. Reason: He - His ;-)

Spyder Garage

June 16th,
    Kansas City to Brooking

I wrote this travel update last night but the budget motel I stayed in had a budget WiFi that couldn’t quite reach the outer rooms. So, I couldn’t get a long enough connection to post it. A day late.

The hardest part of a trip is just getting started. I have been with my wife for nearly 42 years. In that time, I have not been away from her for a longer period than two weeks. I had 8:00 am as my departure time and left at 8:03. Not bad considering I needed one more hug before I left.

IMG_5603(1).jpg

The ride today was uneventful. Temperatures started out at 80 degrees but never rose above 87. One thing I forgot to mention yesterday was that while I was at Lamonster’s Garage, two people rode up, a man on a two-wheeler and his wife on a newer RT. Come to find out they had visited Alaska in 2019. It was a small world moment.

I’ve told myself that everything I brought is replaceable except my Passport and Immunization Card. When I stopped at a truck stop in South Dakota, I placed my helmet on my seat and ran in to grab a Monster drink for my afternoon caffeine shot. After buying my drink, I looked out at my bike and the helmet was gone! I went outside to investigate, and the helmet was on my floorboards. The kind women parked in the car next to me saw the wind blow it off the seat. She picked it up and not wanting the wind to blow it off again she put it on the floorboard. South Dakota is a no helmet required State but I’m glad I still have mine.

The wind in South Dakota is a beast. I’m from Kansas and know something about wind and the wind in SD is impressive!
    My travel day ended in Brooking, South Dakota
    Last edited by Scotts8826; 06-17-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

June 17th,
    Brookings, SD to Minot, ND

It was a great day weather wise to travel. The wind kicked up a bit in North Dakota but nothing like yesterday. Temperatures were mild and the sheep skin seat cover I borrowed from my wife is working great!

I enjoy riding through the Great Plains. Especially, once I pulled off the Interstate and started angling across North Dakota toward Minot mid-day. The plains are beautiful in late spring. Huge swaths of deep green sprouts popping up for the farmers, green lush grasses rippling in the wind, yellow wildflowers blooming along the road, red-wing black birds perched on a reed on the edge of a blue pool. This is why I rarely listen to music on my headset. There is too much I might miss. The people who say there is nothing to see in the plains or that it is just fly over country are not looking very hard.

I had my first “oh crap” moment and I have only been on the road two days. I filled up in Brookings, stopped at a scenic overlook about 45 minutes in. Saw a gas station about another 45 minutes but decided to pass it since I had at least 50 more miles in the tank. Well, fifty miles went by and I had not found a gas station. One previous exit has said there was gas in a town 10 miles away but at the time I didn’t want to take a 20-minute detour. My low gas light was on for about 12-15 miles, and I was sweating it. Fargo was still 20 miles away and I didn’t think I could make it. Finally, a small oil business appeared with a sign that said Fuel 24 hours. I was saved! It was a good reminder for me to diligent about my fuel.

20220617_103226.jpg

While I was on I-94 I saw a semi-truck up ahead that had Can-Am’s familiar yellow packing. Once I got close enough, I saw the SPYDER label. I gave the drive a big thumbs up as I passed him.

20220617_134916.jpg 20220617_134936.jpg

I rode into a small town called Carrington. I had to stop and take a picture of the Chieftain Hotel. It reminds me of something you would see on Route 55.

About 20 miles from Minot the topography changed rather quickly from flat prairie land to rolling hills. It was a nice distraction for me as my rear end was starting to feel a little saddle sore from the days ride.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow as I cross into Canada.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-17-2022 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're on Facebook, check out Bunk-a-Biker, an informal network of folks willing to take in a fellow traveler.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/babusa/?ref=share
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    June 17th,
    Brookings, SD to Minot, ND

It was a great day weather wise to travel. The wind kicked up a bit in North Dakota but nothing like yesterday. Temperatures were mild and the sheep skin seat cover I borrowed from my wife is working great!

I enjoy riding through the Great Plains. Especially, once I pulled off the Interstate and started angling across North Dakota toward Minot mid-day. The plains are beautiful in late spring. Huge swaths of deep green sprouts popping up for the farmers, green lush grasses rippling in the wind, yellow wildflowers blooming along the road, red-wing black birds perched on a reed on the edge of a blue pool. This is why I rarely listen to music on my headset. There is too much I might miss. The people who say there is nothing to see in the plains or that it is just fly over country are not looking very hard.

I had my first “oh crap” moment and I have only been on the road two days. I filled up in Brookings, stopped at a scenic overlook about 45 minutes in. Saw a gas station about another 45 minutes but decided to pass it since I had at least 50 more miles in the tank. Well, fifty miles went by and I had not found a gas station. One previous exit has said there was gas in a town 10 miles away but at the time I didn’t want to take a 20-minute detour. My low gas light was on for about 12-15 miles, and I was sweating it. Fargo was still 20 miles away and I didn’t think I could make it. Finally, a small oil business appeared with a sign that said Fuel 24 hours. I was saved! It was a good reminder for me to diligent about my fuel.

20220617_103226.jpg

While I was on I-94 I saw a semi-truck up ahead that had Can-Am’s familiar yellow packing. Once I got close enough, I saw the SPYDER label. I gave the drive a big thumbs up as I passed him.

20220617_134916.jpg 20220617_134936.jpg

I rode into a small town called Carrington. I had to stop and take a picture of the Chieftain Hotel. It reminds me of something you would see on Route 55.

About 20 miles from Minot the topography changed rather quickly from flat prairie land to rolling hills. It was a nice distraction for me as my rear end was starting to feel a little saddle sore from the days ride.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow as I cross into Canada.
    You figured it out already about the gas. I did exactly the same thing in the 100 miles of no gas stations near Destruction Bay/Whitehorse area. Gas light went on and that was the longest 30 miles I ever rode. After that...I buy gas when I see it. Better to have a half tank to much...than the other way around.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

June 18th
    Minot, ND to Swift Current, SK

I don’t know that I see every roadkill carcass on the road, but I smell most of them.

I went to bed early last night thinking that would give me more time to sleep if my body needed it. Instead, I woke up an hour early at 5 am. I dinked around the hotel then decided I might as well get on the road. So, I left Minot at 7 am. I had a lovely morning to begin riding. It was an easy route, just follow highway 52 for about 95 miles to Portal, ND where I would cross the Canadian border. Nice scenery along the way. I wonder about old buildings and what their history may be?

20220618_073934.jpg

In Portal, I topped off my gas tank one last time with USA prices and proceeded to the border crossing.

20220618_074950.jpg

It was a smooth and easy crossing. I had read I would need my Passport, my immunization card showing two vaccinations and an e-mail receipt showing the completion of the ArriveCan app. The border guard only asked to see my Passport, no mention of the immunizations or app. He asked me several questions and I was on my way.

I could not find the “Welcome to Saskatchewan” sign located somewhere at the border crossing. As I was looking for it, I ended up on a side road back to US border. I didn’t want to end up there, but it was on a one-way only street. I turned around and zipped against the one-way road and on into Canada. In Canada for ten minutes and I’m already breaking laws. Also, I had not thought about Canada NOT being on Daylight Savings Time. I gained an hour. With the hour I gained from leaving Minot early I was now 2 hours ahead of schedule. No wonder the Canadian border was so quiet, it was 7:30 in the morning.
    I made my first stop in Weyburn. Since I missed the welcome sign, I needed my first picture to be something iconic. It didn’t take long for a Tim Hortons to show up. For those unfamiliar with Tim Hortons, they are like a Dunkin Donuts only everywhere like a Starbucks in the States but the Canadians seem to LOVE Timmy’s. It was about 10 am on a Saturday morning and the drive thru was packed.

20220618_093532.jpg

I continued to Moose Jaw, SK. I love original names. I needed gas before I proceeded to Swift Current on the Trans-Canada Highway and found this guy.

20220618_121857.jpg

“Mac” is the largest moose in the world. There has been some competition between Moose Jaw and a town in Norway for the biggest moose but as of today, the honor goes to Moose Jaw.

On Canadian Highway 1 or the Trans-Canada Highway, I was able to open it up to 110 kilometers an hour. That is roughly 70 miles an hour. I’ve kept my Spyder odometer on miles and I refer to my phone’s gps for kilometer equivalent. The temperature had risen during the day. A lady in Moose Jaw lamented that her kid had wanted to see the moose on the hottest day of the year. My motel had early check-in at 3 pm so I flopped on the bed, rested and cooled off for a bit before I went out for dinner. At the bar and grill I was eating at I noticed some young baseball players. I had to go over and say hello since they are the Royals and I’m from the Kansas City area. One of them had visited KC a few years ago and saw the Royals play the Toronto Blue Jays. They are taking the KC Royals poor season in stride as they too, alas, are not doing well.

20220618_174952.jpg

After a double cheeseburger and a tall blonde ale I called day 3 done and headed back to the hotel for the night.

Spyder Garage

June 19th,
    Swift Current to Calgary

Today is my shortest day of the trip so far. Only a 5-hour drive time ride. However, rain started overnight and is forecast to continue throughout the day all the way to Calgary. I went to bed hearing about thunderstorms, so I was a little uneasy about my day. I don’t mind riding in the rain, but torrential downpours are never fun. I had a little more time in my day to adjust my departure time but there were no good windows of opportunity.

I work up early again and saw it was raining at 5 am. It was a steady, gentle rain so I decided to go for it. I looked up the radar and saw spacing between two main systems located in my direction and hoped I could ride in this sweet spot for a while. Turns out, the wettest I got was the first 20 minutes heading out of Swift Current.

Surprisingly, I was able to stay out of the rain most of the day. I would see the highway heading to a rain burst in the distance, but the storm would move northerly and would be off the highway as I approached it. This happened a couple times. The roads would be wet and damp, but I could easily keep my speed at 110 kph.

This was mainly a slab day, so I didn’t have much to take pictures of. I pulled over at a rest stop where the Alberta sign was located. The rest stops I encountered are only pit toilets and not for the faint of heart.

20220619_084728.jpg

Tomorrow, I’ll make up for the lack of pictures as I ride through Banff and Jasper National Parks. It is supposed to be an overcast day, but I’ll keep the camera on my phone snapping!
    Last edited by Scotts8826; 07-20-2022 at 05:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Greta trip report. Keep the updates coming. I'm putting my trip on the Classic GW forum. This is where I have put my trips so far. Will post forum site page for the inmates. Made it across without a problem except that there was a lot of rain and wind. Supposed to get better this week. Safe riding.

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Love the Timmies reference as I'm from near Edmonton. Also, it sounds like you dodged a bullet weather-wise on your trip from Speedy Creek (Swift Current as it often called) to Calgary.
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Spyder Garage

Ye ha! What a trip. Enjoying the write up and the pickies of the journey.