Spyder Garage

Question Rear axle bolt is too long after removing BRP trailer hitch - Help?

I removed the BRP trailer hitch from my 2017 F3T. Now my rear axle bolt is over an inch too long. What do I do? Do I need to find a new shorter axle, or get some spacers for the axle bolt? I don't dare ride it until I have a tight axle.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2024 at 09:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Take that long bolt out, and put it with the Hitch!!

That Rod has NOTHING to do with the axle, not unless someone's done some very dodgy changes to your Spyder!!

The long rod is an important part of the HITCH, and it's there to stop the arms of the Hitch from spreading under load such that the Hitch might come off the axle & swing arms! But the Spyder's Axle IS NOT the Rod, it's the TUBE (with big nuts on either side of the swingarm) that the rod goes thru & the sides of the hitch go over - if you do a bit of a search & some reading, there's a fair bit of discussion here on the Forum from those who've had or are still having issues with their AXLES (that is, the tube that goes across between the swingarms!) not having a large enough diameter hole thru the middle to allow the HITCH ROD to go thru it, so they cannot fit their Hitch!!

I do hope you haven't sold the Hitch without the essential Rod, cos if you have, someone's bought a pretty expensive wall ornament or shed clutterer, cos the Hitch is useless without that Rod!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2024 at 09:16 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

McMaster Carr has bolts that will fit.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by djh3 View Post
    McMaster Carr has bolts that will fit.
    Yes I'm sure they can sell you one ..... However in post # 2. Peter explains why that BOLT is only used ....when you have the hitch on the Spyder - - He doesn't have it on .....Mike