Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Its not about power, but more about engine damage with lower octane fuel. Too much octane can actually make an engine lose power and burn too cool.
    The point of my comment was ...... a few folks here suggested that using Extremely high octane fuel should be waaaaaaaaaaaay better for the Spyder.... I think that is ridicules ...JMHO.. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by linguine View Post
    Thx. Quite useful.

Since this bike has a Stage 2 ECU tune by WickIt [by original owner], it should then just adjust fine, I think.
    Because of the ECU tune I recommend their advice on what Fuel you should use ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Because of the ECU tune I recommend their advice on what Fuel you should use ..... Mike
    So the logical question would be, if an ECU tuner recommends a fuel and you endorse it, why then would you not endorse a fuel recommended by a BRP engineer?
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    So the logical question would be, if an ECU tuner recommends a fuel and you endorse it, why then would you not endorse a fuel recommended by a BRP engineer?
    The OEM ECU tune, milder, softer, not as aggressive ( take your pick ). The Monster & Jase tune's are NOT mild, soft, Non-aggressive. With their Tune a higher octane gas is needed.... if 87 octane was PROHIBITED by BRP, I wouldn't be using it. But that's not the case ---- is it. ..... JMHO ....Mike ..... no further response from you, on this is necessary

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 04-06-2023 at 04:50 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The OEM ECU tune, milder, softer, not as aggressive ( take your pick ). The Monster & Jase tune's are NOT mild, soft, Non-aggressive. With their Tune a higher octane gas is needed.... if 87 octane was PROHIBITED by BRP, I wouldn't be using it. But that's not the case ---- is it. ..... JMHO ....Mike ..... no further response from you, on this is necessary
    Well I guess I am happy you think you can tell me when I can respond and when I can't. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

It is ok for someone to have a different opinion than you do. And I wasn't even offering an opinion. I was simply asking you about yours.

I wasn't being negative at all. I was simply asking for clarification. BRP DOES recommend 91 octane fuel. That is not in question whatsoever. This from pg. 54 of my owners manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

recommended but NOT required.............haven't you seen these similar posts before?
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Well I guess I am happy you think you can tell me when I can respond and when I can't. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

It is ok for someone to have a different opinion than you do. And I wasn't even offering an opinion. I was simply asking you about yours.

I wasn't being negative at all. I was simply asking for clarification. BRP DOES recommend 91 octane fuel. That is not in question whatsoever. This from pg. 54 of my owners manual.
    Your sentences #1 - I didn't tell you when you could or couldn't respond . #2 - I have always welcomed differing opinions, I have a lot of them myself . #3 - " I wasn't being negative at all " ....... I never said you were ..................JMHO ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Spyder

What Type of Fuel?

Can the F3-S run regular fuel (87 octane) without problems? With today's gas prices, I'm trying to save a few cents!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2023 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Removed post title after merge - many can't see them & they mess with Searching... ;-)
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

87 is what I run 90% of the time in my Daytona. 5,300+ miles in 16 months with no problems.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Nothing has changed.
    1.) Minimum 87 octane required ( no 15% ethanol gas)
    2.) 91 octane recommended

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Around where I live I am not aware of anywhere that I can buy ethanol-free gas. I have used 91 octane exclusively since I bought my RT two years ago, but after reading this thread I might try to fill up next time with 87 octane, which is about $1 a gallon cheaper than the 91 or 93 octane. My bigger challenge is finding specific gas pumps that allow me to slowly fill the tank so that I can at least come close to actually filling it. Many pumps seem to be either on or off with no way to regulate flow, shutting off the pump when I know that there is at least 1 to 1.5 gallons short of totally full.

I didn't buy my Spyder to save money on gas, but I guess if 87 works essentially as well as 91, it seems foolish to keep spending the extra dollars on the 91.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Around where I live I am not aware of anywhere that I can buy ethanol-free gas. I have used 91 octane exclusively since I bought my RT two years ago, but after reading this thread I might try to fill up next time with 87 octane, which is about $1 a gallon cheaper than the 91 or 93 octane. My bigger challenge is finding specific gas pumps that allow me to slowly fill the tank so that I can at least come close to actually filling it. Many pumps seem to be either on or off with no way to regulate flow, shutting off the pump when I know that there is at least 1 to 1.5 gallons short of totally full.

I didn't buy my Spyder to save money on gas, but I guess if 87 works essentially as well as 91, it seems foolish to keep spending the extra dollars on the 91.
    Agreed. If it'll run fine on 87 E10, running higher octane is money down the drain. I've got other things to spend my money on, like farkles.

I've been using nothing but premium in mine for a year. I reckon it cost me $252 extra to do so.
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Spyder Garage

I'm using 90 octane 100% gas (ethanol free), and it works fine, even in hot wx. 92 octane premium w/ethanol is also available. I've used both, and cant tell the difference. I usually always go with what the manufacturer suggests, I don't try to out smart the engineers that design the machine, but I think the 90 octane is ok.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post

I agree.......up to a point. BRP did not use these engines to make more money for the gas companies, nor did they recommend 91 octane for the gas companies. Yes, your Spyder seems to run just fine on 87 octane, BUT the recommended octane is 91, so I’m back to using that, but if it is not available at fill up time I’ll use lower. The recommended octane recommendation comes from someone a lot smarter than me, and it was not just a number randomly chosen. A lot of the members on this site will disagree, but that is just their own thinking....are they as smart as the engineers that recommended 91 octane in the first place? And one last thing.....I’m not a wealthy man. I live on a fixed government pension and used my savings to purchase my USED unit for relaxation purposes.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

It is sometimes funny to go back and re-read these threads.

Rule #1....Most of us are older geezers. We have our minds made up. Don't need no steenkeen manuals or advice. Do our best to try to convert everyone on the site to our opinions. No reason to get mad at others. IT IS THE WAY IT IS.

I am on the wrong side with my 87 octane and 10% ethanol. Over a hundred thousand miles on the Spyders since 2014 when I made the change over from premium. Still haven't blown up an engine or had ANY major damage. Right BlueKnight? I listened to BK and it seems to be working for the both of us. We MUST be right.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-21-2023 at 02:18 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We hear ya Bruce, "BUT", Those same engineers are constantly pushing the use of the Kenda (out of round wheel barrow tires) which are a POS! I've got 28K on the diluted 87 octane on my ride and will continue using it until it dies.

Sometimes even the smartest people make a mistake. Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    It is sometimes funny to go back and re-read these threads.

Rule #1....Most of us are older geezers. We have our minds made up. Don't need no steenkeen manuals or advice. Do our best to try to convert everyone on the site to our opinions. No reason to get mad at others. IT IS THE WAY IT IS.

I am on the wrong side with my 87 octane and 10% ethanol. Over a hundred thousand miles on the Spyders since 2014 when I made the change over from premium. Still haven't blown up an engine or had ANY major damage. Right BlueKnight? I listened to BK and it seems to be working for the both of us. We MUST be right.
    You make some very accurate assessments here.

You're not on the wrong side of anything with your 87 octane and ethanol mix. The ECU is designed to compensate for virtually any clean, uncontaminated fuel you are likely to run into. Though it can't compensate for the potential downsides of ethanol.

If not blowing up your engine, or suffering any major damage are your essential parameters. Then there is no question that you're all good. I would add, the same principal applies to which oil you use.

However, the fact remains that having your ECU compensate does have other, less noticable consequences. It is also true that there are several factors which determine how much of a difference fuel octane and mix will make. So, results are not linear.

Still, whether or not a person perceives them, 'Compensation' always has consequences. I think this is what promoters of Premium, straight gasoline are attempting to convey. It's not about being right or wrong. It's about knowing how the machine functions and the facts surrounding your options.

Is premium fuel Required? No. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone try to make this point.

Is premium fuel ideal? The Rotax engineers that made the motor, along with the stated compression ratio, would seem to make a strong case.

No one should feel put-upon regarding the fuel they choose. Nor should anyone attempt to make someone feel bad about their selection. It's your ride. Do it the way you want and be happy!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2023 at 04:53 PM. Reason: liner... ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You make some very accurate assessments here.

You're not on the wrong side of anything with your 87 octane and ethanol mix. The ECU is designed to compensate for virtually any clean, uncontaminated fuel you are likely to run into. Though it can't compensate for the potential downsides of ethanol.

If not blowing up your engine, or suffering any major damage are your essential parameters. Then there is no question that you're all good. I would add, the same principal applies to which oil you use.

However, the fact remains that having your ECU compensate does have other, less noticable consequences. It is also true that there are several factors which determine how much of a difference fuel octane and mix will make. So, results are not liner.

Still, whether or not a person perceives them, 'Compensation' always has consequences. I think this is what promoters of Premium, straight gasoline are attempting to convey. It's not about being right or wrong. It's about knowing how the machine functions and the facts surrounding your options.

Is premium fuel Required? No. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone try to make this point.

Is premium fuel ideal? The Rotax engineers that made the motor, along with the stated compression ratio, would seem to make a strong case.

No one should feel put-upon regarding the fuel they choose. Nor should anyone attempt to make someone feel bad about their selection. It's your ride. Do it the way you want and be happy!
    Thank you for the comments. You also make good points. Us geezers should stick together.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Thank you for the comments. You also make good points. Us geezers should stick together.
    You Got That Right! You'll never hear me say otherwise! You have to be a geezer to understand a geezer! I used to think they were crazy! Now I am one! It's called 'Life'!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My '20 F3 L has about 22,000 miles, runs perfectly and has ALWAYS used regular grade.

Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I used to think they were crazy! Now I am one! It's called 'Life'!
    It's weird to be the same age as old people.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE