Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Will the 1330 engine adjust based on gas octane changes?

Wondering if the 1330 engine adjusts based on the octane you use like cars do. Think car engines will retard or advance based on the Octane it senses. Something like that. I am not an expert on this, just what I have heard. I don't think motorcycles do in general. Could be wrong on this as well.

Willie
    Last edited by Fjrwillie; 06-11-2022 at 04:22 PM.
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

I made the change to 87 octane over five years ago. I have noticed no difference in performance or mpg.

I live in AR where ethonal is part of the picture. Been using 87/10% since July of 2019.

I think the EFI system compensates for whatever octane you are using at the time and makes the engine run like it should. You should be ok to go with whatever grade you put in the tank.

Stay away from 15% ethanol. The manual says it will damage your Spyder.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-12-2022 at 02:03 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I made the switch after Premium Prices went over $6.00/gal here in Md.

No Issues yet but I am looking for a station that has the no ethanol gas so as to minimize chances from ethanol damage.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

In season I run E10 in my toys. When end of season comes around, I start running E0 to avoid issues. Sleds and the F3 will run on 87 just fine but my HD specs 91 minimum.
    I can get 90 E0, HD has not complained yet so fall fill ups of E0 are my SOP. Cooler temps reduce octane sensitivity also. My small engines only get E0 as well as the boat.
    NO E15 unless it means having to walk then only enough of that to get some E10 or E0
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

The ECM does the thinking based on the octane one uses.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The ECM does the thinking based on the octane one uses.
    ..... also have been using 87 w/ethyl since 09 ( and recommending it ).... IF - If there is a decrease in performance, I think it would need to be measured using a Dyno .... I have not noticed a difference ..... jmho .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-05-2023 at 01:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Based from Can Am Brp website in owner zone they state https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...otorcycle.html
    Summary copied from link:
    For Spyder models, your machine will perform to its highest potential and best performance on 91-octane fuel with no ethanol. That said, you will not damage anything if you use 87-octane fuel with no more than 10% ethanol, it just won’t perform top its full potential. Ryker models perform well on 87-octane fuels. Do NOT use E15 or any fuel with more that 10% ethanol in any recreational vehicle as this will damage the engine.

Using the E10 ethanol fuel isn’t all that bad, but letting it sit in the fuel tank and the fuel system can lead to long term problems. Typically, you do not want to leave ethanol fuel in your Can-Am Spyder or your Can-Am Ryker for more than 30 days. The reason for this is due to the water-absorbing nature of ethanol fuels and the corrosive nature of the ethanol. So, if you do choose to use fuel with ethanol, try to add a fuel stabilizer if you will be leaving the fuel in the vehicle for longer than 30 days. If the vehicle is going into storage for a longer period of time then it is pretty much mandatory to treat the fuel with the appropriate heavier dosage of stabilizer to prevent problems when you go to start and use the vehicle.
    2015 RTS Special Series , Black/Silver w Burgundy Seats

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pretty timely question considering the price of gas. There is not an octane sensor per se, testing the gas you put in the tank, in order to adjust engine operation. Spyders and passenger vehicles have a knock sensor. So, if you’re running your engine hard, going for that peak performance, and you are using 87 octane gas, you could create the right conditions for detonation. The purpose in life of the knock sensor is to “listen” for this, tell the ECU what’s happening, and the ECU will make the timing adjustment - retard the timing - in order to eliminate the condition. That’s the point where you may not be getting your peak performance. Otherwise, there is no difference in engine operation and you don’t notice a thing. The energy content between 87 octane and higher octane fuel is the same. The knock sensor handles this at just the slightest hint of detonation, long before you would hear it.

And if you're lucky enough to live in NY, you can go to Stewart’s and get 91 octane, ethanol free gas. Wonder what the price of that is these days.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 06-13-2022 at 05:54 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Yes. And any modern motorcycle (with fuel injection) does as well.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

AT 5:19 on this Smoaks video, you can hear a newer Spyder having some pre-detonation issues. However, the rest of the ride is good except for the warped rotor.

https://youtu.be/hTCHQkHHuMc

I put 91 octane in my motorcycle. It's 6.9 cents per liter more than 87 and I usually put 20 liters per fill-up in my 25 liter tank. 20X6.9cents=1.38. If I 'm willing to fork-out $35K on a new toy, it's not a $1.38 more per fill-up that will break my bank account. But that's just me.

For reference: 1 US gallon = 3.79 liters

NS Gas Prices.png
    Last edited by GFrog; 06-17-2022 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Lets try this again without diesel price
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    Wondering if the 1330 engine adjusts based on the octane you use like cars do. Think car engines will retard or advance based on the Octane it senses. Something like that. I am not an expert on this, just what I have heard. I don't think motorcycles do in general. Could be wrong on this as well.

Willie
    Yes! 24/7 at every stroke.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Default Octane Curiosity - just run 87; add Octane booster; or is 91 OK?

Howdy do, to all,

Here in Arizona, the best we can get is 91 octane, AFAIK.

So the questions:

1. Anyone ever run 87 octane? What do you notice?
    2. Those who can't get 93 octane -- anyone ever use an octane booster?
    3. Am I ok on a straight diet of 91 octane?

P.S. Prices in the greater Phoenix are ALWAYS spike in late March/Early April. We have no refineries here, and the Phoenix supply comes from California, where they do the maintenance changeover for the Summer mix. Awful.
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by linguine View Post
    Howdy do, to all,

So the questions:

P.S. Prices in the greater Phoenix are ALWAYS spike in late March/Early April. We have no refineries here, and the Phoenix supply comes from California, where they do the maintenance changeover for the Summer mix. Awful.
    If you enter 'Octane' into the Search field up in the top right of the page; click the 'Search Titles Only' box in the drop down list; & submit the Search, you'll see there's already a whole heap of info on the Forum and IIRC, there's even answers to each of those questions you've asked.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    AT 5:19 on this Smoaks video, you can hear a newer Spyder having some pre-detonation issues. However, the rest of the ride is good except for the warped rotor.

https://youtu.be/hTCHQkHHuMc

I put 91 octane in my motorcycle. It's 6.9 cents per liter more than 87 and I usually put 20 liters per fill-up in my 25 liter tank. 20X6.9cents=1.38. If I 'm willing to fork-out $35K on a new toy, it's not a $1.38 more per fill-up that will break my bank account. But that's just me.

For reference: 1 US gallon = 3.79 liters

NS Gas Prices.png
    That's great for you .... currently in Vermont the difference is .55 cents, not so great for me .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Howdy do, to all,

So the questions:

I've used 87 oct. ( w/ethyl ) in my three Spyders all the time ( except for testing or drag racing ). I have not noticed any loss in power ( although there is going to be ). I also know how to downshift and do so as needed, my 1330 engine gives me 38 mpg's consistently, unless I'm really pushing it ..... Never had any engine issues ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thx. Quite useful.

Since this bike has a Stage 2 ECU tune by WickIt [by original owner], it should then just adjust fine, I think.

best,
    linguine

Spyder Garage

I'm so tempted to fill up with the 110 octane offered at the gas station a mile from the drag strip, but at $9.52 a gallon .

So until I find $70- dollars laying in the street I'll pass, but still tempted

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thx. Quite useful.

Since this bike has a Stage 2 ECU tune by WickIt [by original owner], it should then just adjust fine, I think.
    I run stage 2 also. WickIt recommends 91. Check it out. You can't always hear it pinging, but it's your choice. I carry BOOSTane in case I'm out in the middle of nowhere and can't find 91. I consider it cheap insurance.
    As BK refers to, DON"T lug stage 2.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 04-05-2023 at 02:51 PM.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I went a few tankfuls with 87 octane and did not notice any difference. Then my reasoning kicked in as I’m getting older.... I’ll be 80 in 2 weeks, my eyesight is getting worse, as is my hearing as well as my general health. It started thinking am I missing something? For the original price we pay for the privilege of riding these things, am I going to start two bit-ing for the few extra bucks for the recommended fuel? Right now it’s costing me 12 cents to 13 cents per km for this pleasurable experience. I can afford a few dollars extra for the fuel, but I can’t afford the few thousand $ for an engine replacement, can you? just my own reasoning, take it or ignore it.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    I'm so tempted to fill up with the 110 octane offered at the gas station a mile from the drag strip, but at $9.52 a gallon .

So until I find $70- dollars laying in the street I'll pass, but still tempted
    110 or 1010 oct .... it's your money ..... neither one will give you any more Power ..... JMHO ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    110 or 1010 oct .... it's your money ..... neither one will give you any more Power ..... JMHO ..... Mike
    But it will clean out the carbon,,, if there is any.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I run stage 2 also. WickIt recommends 91. Check it out. You can't always hear it pinging, but it's your choice. I carry BOOSTane in case I'm out in the middle of nowhere and can't find 91. I consider it cheap insurance.
    As BK refers to, DON"T lug stage 2.
    Hmmm....
    Thx

best,
    linguine

Spyder Garage

Thx. Quite useful.

Wick-It states 91 octane
    1330cc Flash

Ultra smooth throttle transitions
    +15% torque increase, up to +20% horsepower
    Roll-on power is improved 1000-5000 rpm.
    New Ultra wide power band gives vast power gains 5000 rpm to redline
    91 Octane Tune (can use 93 to promote best power output)
    Works with every combination of stock exhaust, cat delete or free flow muffler
    Retains factory mapping, feedback systems and fuel mileage under half throttle
    Stock 8100 or 8600 rpm limiter choice (or anywhere 8800-9200 at user’s discretion)

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Its not about power, but more about engine damage with lower octane fuel. Too much octane can actually make an engine lose power and burn too cool.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-06-2023 at 09:02 AM. Reason: to - too ;-)
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Its not about power, but more about engine damage with lower octane fuel. Too much octane can actually make an engine lose power and burn too cool.
    Far better than a lean condition and running HOT.

Heat kills.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-06-2023 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)