Spyder Garage

Default Which direction to undo front sprocket bolt?

I even bought the shop manual and it does not say. I have tried the normal counter-clockwise direction and it does not want to budge. Before I try a little harder, I want to be sure that this isn't a left-hand threaded bolt? So counter-clockwise or clockwise to get this darn thing loose?

Also, I have 18,000 miles on mine, there's no hint at all of red rust. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone? I did get the Loctite Moly and was going to lube it up, but maybe I don't need to at this point?

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Without knowing what spyder you have, you are correct, leave it alone.

Spyder Garage

It's a right hand thread and I would examine it, clean the splines and cover the them real good with the Moly Paste. Torque to 110 ft/lbs. I did not like the looks of the lube BRP used - it appeared to be just a white lithium grease. Maybe that's the cause of the failures?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Without knowing what spyder you have, you are correct, leave it alone.
    Sorry, it's a 2017 Spyder RT. I have 18,000 miles on it. There's not a trace of red dust to be found anywhere.

On the one hand I feel like taking it off and cleaning it and putting in new moly paste, but on the other hand, if there's no red dust whatsoever maybe it's best to just not F with it at this point.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
    Sorry, it's a 2017 Spyder RT. I have 18,000 miles on it. There's not a trace of red dust to be found anywhere.

On the one hand I feel like taking it off and cleaning it and putting in new moly paste, but on the other hand, if there's no red dust whatsoever maybe it's best to just not F with it at this point.
    Yep, keep it clean and keep an eye on it. Much luck to you with that issue.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    It's a right hand thread and I would examine it, clean the splines and cover the them real good with the Moly Paste. Torque to 110 ft/lbs. I did not like the looks of the lube BRP used - it appeared to be just a white lithium grease. Maybe that's the cause of the failures?
    " Maybe that's the cause of the failures " .... That's the exact question I raised a long time ago ..... The 2015 F-3 started Started having higher than normal rates of FAILURE at about 18,000 mi..... the front pulley / sprocket system has been used since 08 !!!! .... So WHY are they starting to FAIL ????? ...... Metalurgy, Paste, assembly, I doubt we will ever get answers .... at least not from BRP .......... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I even bought the shop manual and it does not say. I have tried the normal counter-clockwise direction and it does not want to budge. Before I try a little harder, I want to be sure that this isn't a left-hand threaded bolt? So counter-clockwise or clockwise to get this darn thing loose?

Also, I have 18,000 miles on mine, there's no hint at all of red rust. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone? I did get the Loctite Moly and was going to lube it up, but maybe I don't need to at this point?

Thanks!
    Keep checking on it every few thousand miles, but, if it does not exhibit the red rust signs don't touch it. Why cause problems where there are none. At this point I believe that minor sighting of rust staining does not mean that you are facing imminent failure of the splines.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Is your '17 RT included in the front sprocket recall? If so, hang on till dealers get replacements.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

My 14 has a lil dust but 41000 miles ....so if it's the same sprocket from 08' --whaaaats the difference now?
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Lefty loosie righty tighty

Spyder Garage

If it ain't broke.....
    2017 SPYDER RT LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yeah but I don't know if it's broke unless I pull it off and inspect it . Seeing as how I had no trace of red dust at all, I have not fooled wth it yet.