Spyder Garage

Default 2014 - 17 RT limited or 2018 RT base which to choose? And why? Help appreciated

Been looking at several and have been leaning toward an older Limited, but 2018 RT has a few changes. Do they make a big difference? Besides heated passenger grips and not sure about shock adjustment, but can anyone provide their two cents to help me get more information from experienced Spyder riders. Thanks, any help is appreciated - Dwayne
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 04:24 AM. Reason: 1 sentence?? :-/
    2015 RTS Special Series , Black/Silver w Burgundy Seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 1st Spyder was a 2018 RT Limited. I wasn't even aware 2018 offered a base model RT.
    2021 Honda HRV
    2245 Constitution class starship (refitted 2270-2271) (for sale)
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT (gone)
    2019 Honda CR-V (gone)
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited (gone)
    2014 Kawasaki Nomad (gone)

Spyder Garage

Yeah. I actually found one! Was surprised too. It doesn’t have fog lights, heated passenger grips, and a few other things; but I had to ask the dealer who is out west while I am in Alabama to find out about the shock adjustment since the rocker switch is not there on the RT and the RT Limited self adjusts. But the 2018's did away with the RTS version and only the RT's and RT Limited's are available is what I understand; but not sure what else is different from the previous 2014 - 17's. If the 2018 RT base is like the RTS of earlier models and the RT Limited has the added perks, other colors, etc, I was hoping someone might enlighten me? I've been digging but found a 2018 RT cheaper than some earlier RTS and RT Limiteds; it has low miles & is at a dealer, so it made me think.... What am I missing on this; or would it be a good deal etc?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 04:33 AM. Reason: 1 sentence, no caps.... :-/

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rt limited

....I have a 2016 RT LIMITED. I am retired and it is totally paid off. The '14 - '17 RTL are nice. The '18 & '19 have the digital gages.
    I like the analog gages on the '14 - '17 better.

Spyders are all good looking bikes, but I enjoy my style and the color is my favorite.
    The prices are subject to change and your personal choice is the deal breaker.

Do your Homework and get Your Best Deal. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks. Yeah, I've been leaning toward the 14-17 RT Limiteds due to those gauges and simply not as much tech to go wrong I guess, but I am a tech enthusiast. Still, I am looking at this for the ride, lol, so I guess you are right; do my homework! You guys on the SpyderLovers Forum are awesome, great group to know and learn from, and I have convinced the wife to maybe try two-up, so I hope to find one that we like and I think she will be happy when my search is over, lol! I think she doesn’t want to talk about it as much anymore, just wants me to decide lol! I guess once I know I'll know, lol... I almost pulled trigger on one Monday, but it sold, so I am taking my time and doing more research, and I came across a 2018 RT base and suddenly that threw up another aspect to the search! Thanks again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 04:38 AM. Reason: 1 sentence.... :-/

Spyder Garage

Btw nice Blue Spyder….

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RTS that I’m trying to sell, with low miles. Also an RT622 trailer...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 04:39 AM. Reason: RT 6222 ?? 8-/

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 RTL I bought as a 1 owner used Spyder in July 2020 with 5300 miles on it . I now have over 20200 miles on the Spyder and have not had 1 problem with it .
    I too like the analog guages on my 17 RTL over the digital dash they started in 2018. I can plug in my iPhone directly to the radio on the Spyder in the trunk. It will charge my phone and I can listen to the music on my iPhone or Pandora on my iPhone and control the music from the left handle controls. Easy peasy!
    I think you couldn't go wrong with the 14 to 17 RTL model all good machines. Good luck with your search.
    Let us know what you decide and know we are here for you when you do buy the Spyder of your choice.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Thanks. Means a lot to know one has a group that I can turn to for help, and I appreciate the Forum for this opportunity to learn and grow. Even at 55, I never stop learning and hope to find my ride and enjoy it as all of you do here. Thanks again, all feedback is greatly appreciated. Dwayne
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 04:41 AM. Reason: 1 sentence... :-/

Spyder Garage

BRP CONNECT on 2018 & up has caused quite a few headaches for many with the Bluetooth connections/interactions/limitations, especially compared to prior years with their stand alone GPS & simple audio connections to the radio. “Infotainment”
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 04:43 AM. Reason: especially ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Wow! Thanks, only heard a little about BRP Connect. Thanks for the info
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 04:44 AM. Reason: 1 sentence.... :-/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by L8inLiferider View Post
    Wow! Thanks, only heard a little about BRP Connect. Thanks for the info
    Please just research, some people have had no trouble with Various Apps, functionality, & what not.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Personally I wouldn't let BRP Connect influence my decision one bit. I find with a helmet on, and cruising down the highway you can't hear the music anyway. Besides that I have my phone blue-toothed to my helmet directly. As far as the apps, I find the Spyder screen too small for me to easily read the maps using BRP Connect. I have added a Garmin to mine that works great and is easy to use and very readable. Bottom line, I have BRP Connect, but never use it. YMMV
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Do Your Homework

....Looking forward to........ Your 'Completed Mission'.
    Remember the Spyder Forum Friends TIPS.

1. Style
    2. Value
    3. Price

PS: Always......... What You Can Afford. ......

.....I see a great day coming....Spyder Ryde.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by L8inLiferider View Post
    Been looking at several and have been leaning toward an older Limited, but 2018 RT has a few changes. Do they make a big difference? Besides heated passenger grips and not sure about shock adjustment, but can anyone provide their two cents to help me get more information from experienced Spyder riders. Thanks, any help is appreciated - Dwayne
    You would be well advised to look at Utah Pete's 2014 Ltd. It's a great low mileage Spyder that is barely broken in. I've 78K+ miles on my '14 RT-S that, with the exception of a parking brake motor that was replaced under warranty a year after purchase, has given me trouble-free service. It's a great MY '14 color too that gets lots of compliments.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The "standard" model doesn't have the "shock" adjust button because it's a manual air bag system vs the automatic system on the RTL. There's a schraeder valve under the seat that you use to adjust the air suspension. Given the trouble the automatic system has, I'd prefer the manual system.

The extra gauges on the RTL don't seem to be as accurate as the digital gauges in the center of the cluster. Many people pull them out and put in volt meters, clocks, oil psi, ...etc.

I'm guessing, but the 2018 probably is a manual vs the semi-automatic on the RTL. That's a judgement call on your part. Personally I'd prefer the manual.

I've heard a lot of issues with BRP Connect, but I wouldn't use it myself - I use a Cardo BT system in the helmet and stream straight from the Android phone.

So if it were me, knowing what I do now, I'd go for the 2018.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2022 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Gived the troubled... ;-)
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Any Update

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Well update I guess after all the advice here and especially Style Value and Price from Little Blue I happened to come across a deal too good to pass up and
    I landed a 2015 RTS Special Series and only had 3660 miles on it. Mint Condition and had service done recently and tires and show room shape and lets just say I did not pay even close NADA Book value and i did not even pay KBB trade value...trust me I got lucky on this deal....
    also the person who sold it to me was willing to drive it half way and a work friend drove me to the meet the person a lady who sold me the bike she couldn't ride no more and decide to sell it and I drove it home all at no cost and I offered to pay their gas and she was so nice and said no. My wife told me I should make this purchase and I am so glad...
    I did my Spyder is in my profile and I already am close to 400 miles in first week lol. All legit and Title clear and is in my name and registered and plates already done. Next step to contact BRP and get in line for Recall for Front Sprocket....but I have to admit I see why you all love the Spyder so much and I am glad I can enjoy the ride as much now and the fun to ride takes away a lot of stress.
    Thanks for all the great advice now I get to decide analog gauge keep or replace and getting Bluetooth to work via back top case as I did all that everyone else does but no sound from Aux as i have bought a 7 din Cable to 3.5mm to a Bluetooth connected yet no sound other that the scratching in speakers as I connect cable from Bluetooth to the 3.5mm may be the dongle or the cable but I do hear thru the speakers the cable when i attach it so I may have to get a different 7 din to 3.5 jack cable.
    You guys inspire one to enjoy the Spyder and make owning one a pleasure with great advice thanks everyone again -
    New Owner of
    2015 Spyder RT-S Special Series
    Black/Silver w Burgundy Seat
    Bought only had 3,660 miles
    1st time on Spyder and 1st ride was 2 hour trip home after purchase
    No Regrets and each day always a good day to ride…