Spyder Garage

Post Dealer told me there is a 'Stop Sale' recall on 2016+ models - is this true?

I was looking at a few used Spyder RT's and when I checked on a 2018, the dealer in Western US said they can’t sell the two they have, due to a Stop Sale recall for the gearbox and rear tire lock up on models 2016 to present, all trims; and they're not sure when they will get an all clear or solution. There's nothing on the Can Am site that I can find. Anyone else hear or know anything? Would appreciate any feedback as I am shopping around. Any info is helpful. Thanks Dwayne (L8inLiferider) ��
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2022 at 06:54 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2015 RTS Special Series , Black/Silver w Burgundy Seats

Spyder Garage

Thats a new one for me. There is a recall on the front sprocket on RT's and F3's but haven't heard anything about a gearbox issue.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 03:32 AM. Reason: heard ;-)

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I just called Can Am's recall people and there is a safety recall for front sprockets that applies to 2015 thru '19 I think she said, and it just came out last week. Parts are to be sent out to dealers end of June, but gearbox and rear wheel she did not have anything - so unless it is specific VIN related... but to find that out I would have to have the dealer check as I look at buying. So the Stop Sale recall is for the front sprocket issue. Thanks for answering, helped me find out more!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2022 at 06:58 PM. Reason: ,'s & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

That is first time I heard that.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6.

Any recalls on the 2014 spyder models?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I did call BRP today and spoke with their Recall Dept as I am shopping for a Spyder RT Limited or RT-S and that dealer out west told me of a stop sale recall now in effect! So I called and the lady I spoke to said that if the dealer has any of the units in question they are not to sell them until the recall is resolved, and parts are due end of June. As to 2014s, she did not mention any, which I wondered why, as well as it being funny that it is only 2015 to 2019 on some models.... But I'd recommend calling BRP Recall as they were helpful and wished me luck in my Spyder search.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 03:31 AM. Reason: ' 's & caps ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Thats a new one for me. There is a recall on the front sprocket on RT's and F3's but haven't heard anything about a gearbox issue.
    .... and I'm on this site 24 / 7 ...... This sounds very Fishy to me ...... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Call Can Am. They will tell you there is a recall on front sprockets and the dealer told methe rest; I am just passing on what I was told, and there are a few posts to the fact apparently. I wondered about the gearbox the dealer mentioned, so I asked him to double check if it is VIN specific as Can Am couldn’t tell me anything on that issue, but only told me about the front sprocket recall. Otherwise I was sceptical too, so I think it is only front sprocket and the dealer made a mistake...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 03:40 AM. Reason: ' 's & caps

Spyder Garage

Sounds like Catch 22- dealer says something, only way to verify is call BRP that has default policy: “Talk /ask dealer “ So ultimately call & ask as many dealers till, hopefully will find something more substantial. Good luck & thank you for sharing this development.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I was surprised, and wanted this forum to know since it has been such a great help in knowledge and kindness in my search to buy, and I thought maybe some people might be aware of the issue, but I see another thread addressing the 'red death' issue. Great thread, I initially didn’t know what it referenced, but just found out it's the front sprocket issue which that thread is about. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 03:42 AM. Reason: ' 's & caps.... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I call "Bull*****" on that dealer! No such recall. If there was, news would have travelled like wildfire throughout the social media.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by L8inLiferider View Post
    Thanks I was surprised and wanted this forum to know since this forum has been a great help in knowledge and kindness in my search to buy and thought maybe some people might be aware of that issue but I see another thread addressing the red death issue great thread and didn’t know what it referenced but just found out the front sprocket issue is that thread thanks again
    Got my "recall" email from BRP Yesterday for my 2018 RTL that I sold two years ago. They are getting the word out.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow, 2 minutes later? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    I call "Bull*****" on that dealer! No such recall. If there was, news would have travelled like wildfire throughout the social media.
    That's a quick E Mail turn around. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

Got my "recall" email from BRP Yesterday for my 2018 RTL that I sold two years ago. They are getting the word out.
    I guess my E-mail is 'in the mail'. As of this morning, I have not received any response from BRP. I will wait for the 'Letter' and then call my Spyder Dealer. .....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's good to know, since my 2015 makes a funny "chirring" noise (under load) that sounds like the front sprocket area. But I doubt BRP has my current address.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    That's good to know, since my 2015 makes a funny "chirring" noise (under load) that sounds like the front sprocket area. But I doubt BRP has my current address.
    Look for the ''red dust of death'' on the sprocket. They let go without any warning leaving you dead in the water.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by L8inLiferider View Post
    I was looking at a few used Spyder RT's and when I checked on a 2018, the dealer in Western US said they can’t sell the two they have, due to a Stop Sale recall for the gearbox and rear tire lock up on models 2016 to present, all trims; and they're not sure when they will get an all clear or solution. There's nothing on the Can Am site that I can find. Anyone else hear or know anything? Would appreciate any feedback as I am shopping around. Any info is helpful. Thanks Dwayne (L8inLiferider) ��
    Just spoke with my dealer in person today, and he has never heard of a “STOP SALE” order. At least not up here in CANADA!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Well, I spoke to a second dealer, this one in Tn the other was Az, and he also confirmed that the model I was looking at is affected by the recall for Front Sprocket and basically, they can’t release the Spyder for sale until it's fixed, but can take a deposit on the bike still. So that is the Stop Sale. The Safety Recall affects 2015 to 2018 in certain RT and F3 models, and that is how it is supposed to be handled…. If thedealer has the vehicle for sale while that vehicle is under Recall, the sale should not happen until vehicle is fixed… This is what Can Am BRP told me the other day.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-12-2022 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Added some breath's in & between sentences! ;-)

Spyder Garage

https://www.rideapart.com/news/category/recalls/

The Article above states which models, etc. are affected. I cut and pasted some of of the article below for forum members.

"The problem was first raised by Transport Canada, which began an Issue Assessment in August, 2021 and informed BRP of this action. After further evaluation and discussion between TC and BRP, BRP made the decision to issue a worldwide safety recall in May, 2022. So far, in the U.S., BRP has linked 312 service contacts and 434 warranty claims to this issue. Additionally, a single existing National Highway Traffic Safety Administration claim may be related.

The remedy program differs slightly from most other recall remedy programs due to supply chain issues. BRP does plan to repair affected vehicles at no charge to customers. An estimated 30,389 Can-Am Spyder F3 and RTs are believed to be affected. Broken down, BRP says this includes 13,633 Spyder F3s and 16,756 Spyder RTs sold in North America. Affected vehicles were manufactured between April 15, 2014 and April 15, 2019. The company adds that not all MY 2019 VINs are affected—as those produced after April 15, 2019 are not included in this recall. The recall notice does not list a VIN range.

Some customers have reported noises and vibrations from their Spyders, but not all. This is the only warning that BRP has in its records as possibly occurring for owners whose Spyders have this front sprocket issue."
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-12-2022 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Layout....

Spyder Garage

Default Very Interesting

...Sometimes good things must happen. Hopefully everyone will get a good repair and done correctly.
    Bring this fix on and 'get err done'. .....

Spyder Garage

Went to my dealer, who sold me the Spyder, he looked up my VIN number through BRP and the front sprocket showed up.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Vehicles cannot be sold if they are subject to an open recall. This is something we deal with in the automotive business all the time, nothing to do but wait it out. Although the numbers do seem large they are tiny in comparison to the amount of vehicles recalled routinely by the major auto companies. Yes, they have more individual dealerships but the numbers are exponentially larger. I remember the GM ignition recall years ago, 30 MILLION vehicles! I was a technician in a shop of 10 or so and this recall was literally 75 percent of our work for about an entire year. Yes, it only took an hour or so but… customers had to wait in line for months just for their turn to come up. GM would not allow parts to be ordered unless the vehicle remained at the shop with an open work order. The sprocket recall may only take an hour but, if we think we’re going to show up at the dealer, wait a couple of hours and leave with whatever the fix turns out to be I think we’re sadly mistaken. My money is on drop it off, it goes in rotation, parts are ordered when it’s drawn by a tech, then it sits until parts show up. Neither dealerships nor techs make any real money on recalls, trust me. no one will be cranking these out in any manner of efficiency. Just my 2 cents.
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Recall

....Still hoping for the best from BRP. Time will tell.
    Good things must come to those people who are patient.

My Grandmother said that all the Time.
    Wait for the update Fix. It will come together.

Stay Healthy. .....