Spyder Garage

Question Should I Straight pipe my F3S 2016?

Hello!

I am new on this site and have had my F3S for a few months now. I love loud exhaust systems and wondering if I can straight pipe my bike. But I've read in many places that I don’t need to re flash the ECU, and only need to let the bike idle. Some say I need to re flash it. And some say losing back pressure will be problem, some say it won't. I am wondering if I should still try and buy a PV3 to re flash it, but the biggest problem for me is I have no access to a dyno. Most of my bike is stock. So far I’ve only put on a K&N air filter and bought a R888R Toyo tire.

Thank you for all the info you give and ride safe xP
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2022 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Removed spurious characters.... :-/

Spyder Garage

Just let it idle for 10 minutes and you're good to go. Will sound great even with the stock muffler
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2022 at 06:46 AM. Reason: gread...

Spyder Garage

Agree with greg, Oe muffler and straight pipe will do the trick, else an cat- delete, if you worry bout backpressure, the bikes ecu, can cope with the difference without a Tune
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

" Straight pipe " ..... IMHO this will result in a No back-pressure situation and that's not a good thing ...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A ton of engineering and design went into your machine and you can unknowingly diminish the potential of your spyder if you install some aftermarket items. If you want ear splitting sound that the ECU may adjust for, go with unbaffled cat delete and the 2brothers racing muffler. That's about as straight through as you can get. Even with the TailGunner muffler people can hear you coming a mile away. The cops can even hear you before they even see you. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

I run a cat delete from RLS, baffled, with an acropovic endpipe, and this produces a darker more gruntier sound. When measuring with a good Decibel Meter, the acro is more silent than the OEM Muffler with cat delete.
    Straight pipe, is a whole other story - this is just obnoxious.
    Over here in the Netherlands, people have started a petition which states "too loud is out", instead of "Loud Pipes saves Lives"!! Everyone their own, but I want to enjoy the sound of my bike, not to be obnoxiously loud.
    Mine rumbles when downshifting (at higher rpm's). Over here, due too Loud pipes, some beautiful routes are closed for Bikers, and you will get a big fine if caught on those roads!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2022 at 06:29 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

No ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    I run a cat delete from RLS, baffled, with an acropovic endpipe, and this produces a darker more gruntier sound. When measuring with a good Decibel Meter, the acro is more silent than the OEM Muffler with cat delete.
    Over here in the Netherlands, people have started a petition which states "too loud is out", instead of "Loud Pipes saves Lives"!! Everyone their own, but I want to enjoy the sound of my bike, not to be obnoxiously loud.
    Mine rumbles when downshifting (at higher rpm's). Over here, due too Loud pipes, some beautiful routes are closed for Bikers, and you will get a big fine if caught on those roads!
    Straight pipe - obnoxious?? Why, sir, you go too far... (My 55 with a blown 455 olds running tuned headers, hollywoods and straight pipes was like an air raid siren in the next county!! The sheriff used to call my parents when I left the house and tell them to tell me that my ticket was in the mail... LOL!!! Good times.
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

+1 for Pirate - I'm putting my money into a header and cat-delete system from RLS. Likely the punisher. You can reduce the ground-shaking level of those to something nominal if you must (add baffle material in the cat-del-box and exhaust can), but having that system with a modded air box and a tuner will be all you should need (or want) unless you are considering other applications (i.e. racing).
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Agree with greg, Oe muffler and straight pipe will do the trick, else an cat- delete, if you worry bout backpressure, the bikes ecu, can cope with the difference without a Tune
    All im looking for is to get the bike lighter, add some HP and torque and better sound

Spyder Garage

You won't gain any extra power without a tune/ECU flash. Changing your exhaust will help regarding power/weight ratio, but it won't be anything you'd notice. Look at a Two Brothers Racing exhaust as it's a full system (not a muffler only slip on).
    https://www.twobros.com/collections/...3-2015-exhaust

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Louder does not make you faster, it just makes you more noticeable and really obnoxious to some.

Spyder Garage

I put a Two Brothers Racing (TBR) exhaust system on my 2015 Spyder F3-S. It was definitely too loud for me even with the TBR baffle. I put a baffle in the TBR input pipe and the sound is much better with a good low rumble.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Typically, way too loud pipes are an attempt to............er.........ah...........Make up for Short Comings.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-12-2022 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Fixed the too many mm's ;-)
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L