Spyder Garage

Default Vibration at steady speeds, 65mph +

Took my first real ride on the Daytona today. Noticed that at several different speeds above about 65mph, there’s a vibration felt throughout the Spyder on steady speeds. Don’t feel it while accelerating or decel. Is this the vibrations folks are talking about caused by too much tension on the drive belt? Should lowering the tension help this? Is this something that can be taken care of through warranty? Bike has 115 miles now, just delivered a few days ago. Selling dealer is out of the picture, as they’re ~1,400 miles away. Thx in advance for any help.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    Took my first real ride on the Daytona today. Noticed that at several different speeds above about 65mph, there’s a vibration felt throughout the Spyder on steady speeds. Don’t feel it while accelerating or decel. Is this the vibrations folks are talking about caused by too much tension on the drive belt? Should lowering the tension help this? Is this something that can be taken care of through warranty? Bike has 115 miles now, just delivered a few days ago. Selling dealer is out of the picture, as they’re ~1,400 miles away. Thx in advance for any help.
    Lowering the Belt tension to 160 lbs. ( wheel on the ground ) stopped or almost stopped the drive vibes.... I can't feel any so it's cured from my perspective ..... good luck .... Mike ..... PS - there have been more than a few folks here who've had their IDLER pulley FAIL and eat their drive belt..... NO one guarantee's that won't happen .....JMHO ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2022 at 12:33 AM. Reason: deriv vibes ;-)

Spyder Garage

I would pick up Krikit and check the tension on the belt. Not really recommended messing with the tension Willy-Nilly.

Krikit index.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFP2NQXnFE
    Last edited by Isopedella; 06-09-2022 at 12:22 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After about 20k miles I could see faint marks on my belt left by my idler. The bearing was still tight and smooth but I zip tied it up and out of the way to prevent damage. When damage occurs it comes on fast. I'd recommend 160 + or - belt tension as mentioned above. Our machines have many harmonic vibrations from tires right back and up through the drive train to the 1330 engine itself. Sometimes when they all get together it's hard to diagnose their origin.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I would pick up Krikit and check the tension on the belt. Not really recommended messing with the tension Willy-Nilly.

Krikit index.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFP2NQXnFE
    I'm guessing we would need the larger poly ribbed belt size yes?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I just grabbed a photo of a Krikit. 160 is what you want in the measurement range, different sizes available. Pick the one that suits. . Poly ribbed size seems to be the one. There is a video I put up in an earlier post on how to use it. A good bit of kit for anyone with a Spyder - essential tool I reckon.

Or you could by some others for 10x the price. I did read somewhere there is an phone ap for ya phone that could do it. But thats not for me. Not really into ap's. More a nut and bolt guy I guess.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 06-09-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

The krikit I have is a krikit 2.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I picked up this one. Krikit 91132.

Description

GATES KRIKIT II V Belt Tensioner Gauge

Designed for tensioning V-ribbed belts on passenger cars, light trucks, heavy trucks and buses.

Bright green pressure pad and indicator arm

Calibrated to measure tension from 100 to 320lbs and 50 to 150kg

Measure belts up to eight ribs in width

KRIKIT 20220610_110534.jpg

If you are in the market for one shop around. 1 supplier wanted 6 x the price I got my one for.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 06-09-2022 at 06:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

BCN, Front tires cupped? Kenda's ?

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Good thought there T.P.

I presume the belt has been inspected and is in good nick, not cracked with bits missing, tracking correctly and set to the correct tension and the vibration is unchanged I too would have a good look at the tyres.

Any tyre can cup, so its not confined to a Kenda tyre. I would also inspect the front pulley for fitment and ensure its torqued up correctly.

Guess we wait out for the OP to update now.

Spyder Garage

T.P. - no cupping on tires ... trike only has 152 TOTAL miles on it now. It’s a brand-new 2017! And, to my surprise, no vibration from tire flat spots. Ordered a Gates 91132 Krikit II this morning from O’Reilly’s, should be here tomorrow. Will check the ‘17 Daytona and my wife’s ‘15 F3-S - hers has no vibes, and I suspect the tension is lower on hers.

Which brings to mind something else ... will the tension go down a bit after a few miles, ie from stretching? Should I wait a bit and put more miles on before making any tension changes?
    Last edited by BCNewell; 06-10-2022 at 02:35 PM.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Onya for sorting the gauge. I would set it to the 160 and just ride it.
    I have only had my F3 since mid March. Its my first Spyder so a steep learning curve.

I have rechecked the tension a few times and it hasn't changed. My Krikit lives in my left saddlebag beside my tyre pressure gauge at the moment so its right there for when I start it up and do my walk around prior to riding. Takes about 30 seconds to check it. Yes I check prior to every ride on all bikes.

Tip. When checking the tension with the Krikit its possible to have a finger make contact with the muffler/exhaust set up. YE HA! Kinda gets your attention. I am a little more careful now.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 06-10-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    Which brings to mind something else ... will the tension go down a bit after a few miles, ie from stretching? Should I wait a bit and put more miles on before making any tension changes?
    go ahead and check / change the tension. this belt will barely stretch, not made to stretch. has kevlar strands in belt. also, those front kenda tires could be leading to some vibration. you should be aware of these spyders for a while, as your wife's spyder was bought earlier i think
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

HEY BCN, It may be worth swapping front wheels with your wife's Spyder for a test ride.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Belt tension is the first and easiest place to look for vibration. But, don't rule out your Kenda tires. I chased vibrations on my former 2014 RTL for most of a year. Finally replaced Kendas with CTs. End of problem. Even though they LOOKED really good, they were crap. Inner tire failure caused my bike to be almost unrideable above 65 MPH. Probably more dangerous than I want to think about. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Wait, do you mean to tell me spyders aren't supposed to vibrate? I feel heavy vibration on my Spyder all of the time...

Spyder Garage

No you shouldn't feel much vibration. My Spyder is smooth as silk except for a little belt vibration sometimes at 74 mph.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Kenda tires are CRAP. Had to have mine replaced within 100 miles of buying the . They shook the front end terribly. With Car Tires all around, my Spyder is SO much smoother.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow