Spyder Garage

Default Trying To Understand the way BRP is allocating parts for incomplete bikes?

Can anyone shed some light on the way BRP is sending out parts for the 2022's that are sitting at the dealers? There seems to be no organized way the parts are sent so the dealer can deliver these bikes. My bike has been at the dealer for a month and a half and he can't tell me anything.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

The majority of the parts on our Spyders come from companies all around the world. BRP has little control over any of it. This is what outsourcing has done for this and many other industries. When everything is manufactured and shipped in a timely manner BRP gets Spyders built and to the dealers in a timely manner. When supply chain interruptions happen we get the situations we have now. I am sure the dealer is just as frustrated as you are. This isn't his fault or the fault of BRP. Outsourcing is the way things are done these days with little to no inventory kept on hand much of anywhere. The company I retired from used JIT (Just In Time) delivery with many parts arriving just before they were needed on the assembly line. Works like a well oiled machine until it doesn't and then we have this mess. We jokingly called JIT Just Isn't There.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I'm also retired from a manufacturer as well. I understand what you are saying. But I find it interesting that BRP would keep producing these machines and delivering them to dealers when they can't be sold. You loose the confidence of the dealer and the end user.
    Frank Ferrante
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default On Time Parts Delivery

....Well about 20 years ago USA manufacturers decided to stop stocking parts and went with 'On Time Delivery'.

SOoooooooo, now we are seeing what we should have seen many years ago.

I will let you figure out 'the rest of the story'.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    I'm also retired from a manufacturer as well. I understand what you are saying. But I find it interesting that BRP would keep producing these machines and delivering them to dealers when they can't be sold. You loose the confidence of the dealer and the end user.
    Not specifically aiming this at you ff73, more so pointed at everyone who's questioning the usefullness of BRP & other manufacturers doing this sort of thing....

But taking BRP's 'incomplete Spyder' roll-out on first, as I understand it they're not producing too much in the way of 'floor stock' for anyone; if you look closely at it, almost everything being sent to dealers incomplete is either already ordered/sold or very close too it, because demand right now is so high but supply is so limited - which is why they can get away with charging what they do atm!? So they're sending those 'substantially complete but missing some unavailable/in short supply components that are easy to install later' orders out in order to allow their production line to keep operating at all, even if some components will need to be fitted down track/when available. Not doing that would mean their holding yards would fill, closing down their production line again, and ultimately result in an even LONGER wait & likely higher demand, more competition, and so higher prices for those who are only now or soon will be looking at buying new Spyders/Rykers!

Besides, I believe that like many others, BRP closed their production line during the peak of COVID in order to help minimise the damage a rampant pandemic disease could cause; and arguably it did that, at least to some degree (not going into that here tho! ) but they couldn't stay shut down/closed forever & remain a viable business - that doesn't help anyone! Remaining closed leaves them effectively out of business &/or going bankrupt because they'd probably be servicing loans without any income; plus it leaves all their employees in a really hard place, without work &/or income; and it leaves suppliers of parts all around the World in the same situatuation; all their employees in a really hard place; & if none of all those people can buy anything, it'll impact on the livelihood of those working in the supply & production of foodstuffs & all the other commodities, services, etc that people need & ultimately, a significant drop in all that isn't going to be good for ANYONE!

So by re-starting their production line when they did, BRP have at least minimised the impact on all of those people, their employees & suppliers directly, plus all the other businesses & employees down the food chain indirectly; but if BRP now stopped producing Spyders again just because they can't get a few parts instead of continuing with producing Spyders as people order them & sending them out to dealers almost complete, it'd not only push their business right to the edge if not over, it'd be taking along for the ride all their employees; all their supporting suppliers & their businesses, all their employees; all the next level of supporting businesses & employees etc etc yad yada yada, right into the deep end of that pond full of brown smelly stuff we all know is down there waiting; and if you imagine enough similar companies doing the same sort of thing & extrapolate the impact that'd have far enough, I imagine that all of that could ultimately have similar 'unable to eat/live' ramifications for the ENTIRE World! .

So like many other responsible businesses, BRP have instead chosen to re-open their production line, keeping their business going, even if at less than peak capacity & without some parts; but it keeps their employees in a job & so able to eat/live; keeps their Supplier's businesses going & their employees in a job & so able to eat/live; and in turn keeps all their supporting businesses and the suppliers of the foodstuffs, services, & commodities that all these employees at every step down the line use still working and so able to continue to eat/live.... and if you follow the chain far enough, all of this eventually comes right back to benefiting YOU and allowing you to continue to live in the manner you currently do, even if you're left waiting for what is, at it's most basic level, a non-essential commodity.

Sure, it's probably not ideal for anyone, and I bet the dealers don't really like having all these 'not quite complete' Spyders &/or Rykers stacked up in their yards awaiting parts that are held up somewhere in that loooong 'Just Isn't There (yet!)' supply chain, but hey, it's keeping (most of??) them still in business, which in turn keeps their employees paid & able to eat/live; and the producers of all the goods & commodities that they need/use to do that in business so that they in turn can keep the next level of employees employed & able to eat/live; and ultimately, keeps the system & society that keeps YOU going & living comfortably all still functioning, even if not at the level you desire or at it's best! But it's FAAARRR BETTER than the alternative!!

OK, I'll climb down off my hobby horse for a bit now.... but what's a little wait when it means so much to so many??

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2022 at 07:58 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter, COVID was something that no business was prepared for. There was no business plan. So I agree with everything you are saying. But since BRP is producing bikes and shipping them to dealers (minus parts), there should be plan to keep your dealers in the loop. Telling your dealers you will get the parts when we send them is not a good way to treat a customer. We are all being patient. Luckily for me I have two other bikes I can ride while I'm waiting.
    Frank Ferrante
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

Telling your dealers you will get the parts when we send them is not a good way to treat a customer. We are all being patient. Luckily for me I have two other bikes I can ride while I'm waiting.
    The trouble is, Frank, that BRP simply do not know when the manufacturers will be shipping their components, which makes it very hard to inform the dealers and therefore their customers .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I ordered my 2022 RT L back in August of 2021. As of this moment my unit is sitting at the dealer minus the windshield control module. I am hoping that the part arrives this month (June 2022) and I'll soon be on my way. While supply chain issues are not any one individual's or company's fault the ability to communicate is something that the dealer and BRP can control. If any of you watched President & CEO José Boisjoli's Delivery Update posted April/May timeframe he does tell us that the dealer is the best source for current information. If that is not the case those words should never have been spoken. I don't know of too many large companies that don't utilize some sort of inventory control/production status system where they can, in real time, provide current information to whomever the customer might be and that information should trickle down from supplier to manufacturer to end user. I am fine with waiting as long as it takes to get my unit. Getting angry at the dealer will not help it get into my hands any faster. However, it is my belief that the dealer/BRP company owes us periodic updates which is where not just BRP, but other companies as well, are falling down miserably. Case in point, Ford/my dealer updated me twice during a 5 month wait for my special order truck. Unacceptable in my humble opinion. But that's just me. For all of us waiting for our toys to yet be delivered, stay patient. I'm sure in the end it will be worth it. Our riding season is much longer than that of our snowmobiling friends who is some cases took possession of their toys just as the season was ending. Vroom-vroom!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Update[/I]posted .... ;-)
    2022 RTL , Deep Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

@Vermont - I agree - communication is so very important. And unfortunately, neither BRP or my former dealer are not very good at all.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

The reason I started this post is because I see people on this forum and FB taking about receiving their Can Am. Some people seem to wait longer than the others. Why? I agree with Peteoz to a certain extent and I totally agree with Vermont. I'm retired from a major manufacturer. If there was a problem getting materials for our product I was made aware of and I would convey it to the customers. If the problem continued the company would find another source. Why hasn't BRP found additional sources for the materials they need. There is always someone else out there who can fuel their supply issues. Is it money? They would only pass it on to the consumer.
    When I get it this will be my first Can Am. Many of my fiends have them and they are very satisfied with the product. I look forward to being an owner but I'm not impressed with BRP as a company. Their management needs a lesson in customer service.
    Frank Ferrante
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

Their management needs a lesson in customer service.
    You won’t find me, or just about anyone else on this site, disagreeing with you on that point, Frank

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If you think this is bad, I have a friend that owns a 2014 Freightliner truck. He needs an electrical module that let's the automatic transmission talk to the main ecm.
    It has been at Freightliner Greensboro NC for SEVEN MONTHS! And there are thousands of Freightliners all over the country waiting for that module!