Spyder Garage

Default Any reviews of Aftermarket brake pads? EBC, Bikemaster, Others?

Ive grown tired of my squeeky brakes on my ryker and ive decided to try some new pads. Besides oem, i know there are ebc and bikemaster. Anyone have reviews of either of these? Any other options?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    Ive grown tired of my squeeky brakes on my ryker and ive decided to try some new pads. Besides oem, i know there are ebc and bikemaster. Anyone have reviews of either of these? Any other options?
    Well BajaRon ( a sponsor here ) sells " EBC " brand ... I'\ve purchased numerous sets ... and I think they are Excellent .... waay better than OEM .... jmho ... Mike

Spyder Garage

We carry both the EBC and Bikemaster. I like the look of the Bikemaster better than the EBC. Though frankly doesn't mean all that much. We've sold both to customers who have been very happy with them. There are some things that you can do to mitigate squealing.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I went EBC green sintered. Excellent grip from the git go, and major improvement over the stock pads. No noise, but from past experience, they can throw a lot of dust, so expect to do some additional cleanup.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Squeaking pads is usually the result of being too easy on your brakes. Chances are, the pads are now glazed. This will happen to any pad that's "babied." Try doing a series of very hard stops starting at 50 miles an hour down to 20, one after another. There are other things that can be done to mitigate the squeaking, as Ron said, but why not just go ahead and get the EBC HH pads and have better ones? Of course, you'll be getting them from Ron, won't you?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had done that several times as it says in the operating manual but there was no getting rid of those squeaky brakes until I ordered some EBC's and swapped them out.

And as with everything else on the spyder the oem brakes are something to be pretty much changed out after getting to know your Spyder after the first six months of consistent riding along with the sway bar and tires.

I changed my pads when I had the tires off to put on the Quatrac's

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

EBC pad and a good cleaning. Squeaky brakes aren't always the fault of the pads. The Squeaking you hear is a result of vibrations between the caliper and the pads not the pads and the disc. Install the new pads and be sure to apply some brake pad grease to the rear of the pads where they contact the caliper. If your current pads aren't worn you can remove and clean things well and apply the grease to the back of them upon reassembly. Any auto parts store will have small tubes of this grease. It only take a small amount.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the responses.. I have tried many of the recommendations for curing the “squeek” i have washed the bike/rotors etc, i have sprayed some brake quiet, i have tried hard braking going from 40-20 then 60-20 without ever coming to a complete stop. Most of those work for a little while but the brakes always start to squeek again. I have also notice that it doesnt quite brake as firmly as it once did almost as if the pad have gotten some glaze on them. I do have a 2019 rally and have taken it on some dirt/gravel roads from time to time. So maybe thats the issue.

No matter what, changing the pads isnt that difficult or that expensive and will likely result in better braking. I have attached a pic of the brakes from bajaron and the bikemaster seem to have a slit in the middle. Ron has told me that the braking performance is similar on both but do you think the slit on the middle of the bikemaster pads would be better for use on occasional dirt gravel roads?

Spyder Garage

The slit on brake pads is normally used to gauge wear on the pads.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

What about EBC Smi-Sintered pads? I see talk of the HH but not the Semi.

Spyder Garage

I put Vredesteins on today. While I had my tires off I put new EBC pads and EBC rotors on this morning. Can't give a full review yet as I just drove it a mile to test it out. I can say pad and rotor changes on the spyders are a breeze! Got the General put on last week and also changed the pads on rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

The EBC fully sintered pads and EBC rotors combo will stop you like the hand of God!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

To my knowledge the only options for brake pads for the ryker are the OEM, one style of EBC and one style of Bike-Masters