Spyder Garage

Default Misfire on 2015 STS - need new plug wires? Ideas?

Hi everyone,

I have noticed an occasional misfire on my '15 STS SM5, just shy of 13k miles.

Typically, it happens after decelerating, then re-applying throttle, such as slowing down for a turn, then accelerating up to speed. Today, it did it once while downshifting for a turn. It will occasionally misfire at idle at a stoplight, for example.

No check engine light.

A quick search on this site indicates bad plug wires as a likely culprit. Anything else?

How difficult is it to install new plug wires?
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

It could be other than the spark plug wires. Though they are a worthy suspect. Are you sure you're not getting detonation of unburned fuel in the exhaust system? The throttle body vacuum hoses are also notorious little buggers. The thing is. You'll need to pull the air box to get those changed. And once you are that deep. An ignition wire and plug kit are probably in your best interest. Even if they are not the current offenders.

Also check you PCV valve. A less common, but possible player. That can be done without removing much at all.

Good luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

to change plug wires is a bad job, but not difficult.
    2014 STS SE5 , circuit yellow (metallic)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It could be other than the spark plug wires. Though they are a worthy suspect. Are you sure you're not getting detonation of unburned fuel in the exhaust system? The throttle body vacuum hoses are also notorious little buggers. The thing is. You'll need to pull the air box to get those changed. And once you are that deep. An ignition wire and plug kit are probably in your best interest. Even if they are not the current offenders.

Also check you PCV valve. A less common, but possible player. That can be done without removing much at all.

Good luck!
    Thanks. How would I tell if it is detonation in the exhaust vs a misfire?

Based on my experience, it feels like a misfire - applying throttle, it get a quick jerk through the drivetrain when it allegedly misfires.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Thanks. How would I tell if it is detonation in the exhaust vs a misfire?

Based on my experience, it feels like a misfire - applying throttle, it get a quick jerk through the drivetrain when it allegedly misfires.
    The difference is fairly obvious. Sounds like you have a misfire and not exhaust detonation.

Spyder Garage

What’s the labor rate for this site? Since posting this, I have not had a misfire.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5

Spyder Garage

Could have been a fouled plug. Do not lug the 998. It doesn't like it. Keep the RPM above 3,500 after a shift and try to run 5,500 or above most of the time. The 998 likes to rev. It really doesn't even start making HP until 5,500 RPM.

Did you run some good injector cleaner through the system? If not, I would recommend it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Could have been a fouled plug. Do not lug the 998. It doesn't like it. Keep the RPM above 3,500 after a shift and try to run 5,500 or above most of the time. The 998 likes to rev. It really doesn't even start making HP until 5,500 RPM.

Did you run some good injector cleaner through the system? If not, I would recommend it.
    I will do that. I run 90-93 octane in it and average speed on the trip odometers is always 40-45 mph. I run a majority of time at 60+ mph / 4400+ rpm. I shift between 3500-5000 most of the time (manual shift).
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5