Spyder Garage

Default How to get the belt off my Spyder to install new one? Anyone??

Been searching for answers but no luck for me. All the belt threads seem to involve tire changing. Getting the belt off the pully is easy what I can't find is how to get the belt off the machine. Looks like the pass. board mount needs to come off but I can't see how to remove or at least get enough slack in the black panel that covers the whole side of the bike to access the bolts. 2020 RTLT
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

Gidday mate. Have a sticky beak at these.
    1st video shows how to remove the belt.
    2nd shows how to adjust.

Pick up a Krikit belt tension gauge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTn6cR6q1Js

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Ewxr7qwqo

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the links friend. The adjustment one will come in handy. Got the krikit. Again tho, the first vid only shows how to get the belt off the pulley & not off the machine. It doesn't just drop out, there is stuff in the way. Need to get it outboard of the rear foot board support.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-07-2022 at 12:04 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

Ah . ok.

I have an F3 . From memory I removed the front pulley cover and chain guard. Came right off. Sorry I cant help further.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the try! Think I'm just going to have to keep pulling and poking till I can see what's holding what.
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

FB835DAA-E20E-411A-B32D-A13FFD4E27FB.jpg

I haven’t had to change mine yet so I’m just throwing out an idea. If you remove the bolts I circled can you pass the belt under the frame rails and remove?

Spyder Garage

Yep looks like the right direction. That tensioner, the frame rail and probably the black cover as well.

Hew Woods can you put up a photo of whats in the way at all?

Spyder Garage

That looks like the answer George! How did you get that big piece of black plastic that the side panels clip into off? That's my problem,I can't see how to get to the view you have pictured!
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

3746BD86-842B-4D18-A6E8-0D8D3A04EC77.jpg

Once you have all the pretty parts removed along with the front foot rest, just remove the fasteners. I believe I watched a video by Lamonster on installing his belt tensioner.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-07-2022 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

Will check his site and then back to the garage! Just having trouble finding those pesky fastners!
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

Start by raising the seat. See that “pull” on the trim panel, start by removing it. Remove the screws holding the painted panels. Note what screw went where. Pull the painted trim running along the black body side. Then remove the front side trim. Pop the frunk and remove the push rivets along the edge. The “fang” panel sides forward to release from the framework. That should expose the screws retaining the black body side. There is one screw that underneath that has to be removed. Remove the front running board. With a little twisting around the saddlebag the panel is removed. It has been a couple months since I removed the panels. The order might be off. It’s actually easy to do. I installed the belt tensioner and handlebar riser in about 2hrs.

Spyder Garage

Got er done. Yup, remove all painted parts and boards left side. Then the inset panel that kinda looks like the side of engine? Then follow around to remove multiple rivets and a bolt under saddle bag aaand the back seat because there are 2 rivets under there. Taking off front board was key, for me, to see fasteners. Yup again, about 2hrs. Oddly, I think, alignment is not the same on front pulley with new belt. Have too hit the store tmrrw to buy 36mm wrench and make adjustment. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-07-2022 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Spaces after punctuation so text to voice s/ware can read ;-)
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

Cool. You’re welcome

Spyder Garage

Good work.

Spyder Garage

Also, once all the plastic was off I removed the 2 bolts on the top frame, and was able to pry it up easily enough to slip the old belt out and the new belt in. Re-secured it and did the same for the bottom frame member. I did them one at a time out of caution, I don't know if it was necessary.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-07-2022 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Spaces after punctuation so text to voice s/ware can read ;-)
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

And no, I didn't change the sprockets. There's only 7000mi on the bike. The belt was damaged by a pea sized stone taking a small chunk out. Inspected the sprocket and it look's fine.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-07-2022 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Spaces after punctuation so text to voice s/ware can read ;-)
    2020RTL