Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RS-SM5 clutch slippage

Mileage is 34,000km (21,000 miles).
    Last oil/filter change less than 1000km ago, using BRP OEM kit.
    Clutch engages and releases properly, tranny shifts properly. No slippage at lower RPM and gentle throttle.
    But clutch slips badly if I give it more throttle above 4-5000rpm.
    A fellow lister suggested checking the vent on the vacuum assist, saying that if the vent is plugged, vacuum will not release the clutch properly.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I plan to check this before I invest in a replacement clutch kit (PN420281930?), which at $560CAD, must be made of Unobtainium!!!
    I believe EBS makes a replacement kit, but I cant find any reference.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Freddie. No experience but it won't hurt to check, right? I suppose the solenoid vent theory is plausible. Actually, if the solenoid itself is hanging up inside and applying vacuum all the time, could be, too. So, here's a pic. The vent just looks like an open port that somebody forgot to put a hose on. But, no hose goes on there, and it should not be plugged. It's on the right hand side of the engine. So, you said that there is no slippage at lower RPM and gentle throttle. What if you get on it hard at lower RPM? Does it slip then, too. That would be a high load condition for the clutch so I would think it would. When a wet clutch is slipping, there's always the question of whether a wet clutch approved oil is being used. Should meet JASO MA II standard or better. Of course, any damage is not magically reversible.

Unobtainium. Funny!

Good Luck with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments and picture.
    I've discounted the oil so far, as it is BRPs OEM stuff.
    My friend who is a motorcycle mechanic took it out and and confirmed it slips 'badly' under high load.
    The solenoid is probably wired into the clutch lever switch to only activate when the lever in pulled in. If it hangs up, or if the vent is plugged, the vacuum would stay on. would it not cause slippage all the time?
    At any rate, it's easy enough to bypass it and see what happens.
    I was hoping to avoid the cost of replacing the clutch. A local dealership quoted the BRP kit at $760 CAD. Unobtainium indeed.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Agree. I would bypass it and see what happens. Nothing to lose. Check back in afterwards on how that went.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 06-07-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238