Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default This is a question on how people are labeled based on their views

Just as an example, if a person is conservative on one issue, is he/she supposed to be conservative on all other issues? That is just one label, I know there are more. Why do there have to be labels? I ask b/c someone mentioned that how could someone who is/was in the military be against a certain amendment. I was in the military for 20 years, and I can have my own opinion without being labeled or following the herd, can't I?

I didn't write this based on any specific amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-06-2022 at 06:30 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My opinions on subjects vary. Don't like labels. And yes you can.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My opinions are my own. Definitely don't go 100% on either side. And what we all need to realize is that they are all just opinions. Some will be right and some will be wrong, but just like a$$ holes, we all have one.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think when labels are used correctly as shorthand in a constructive conversation, they can be useful. But, not when they're used indiscriminately to mischaracterize broad swaths of the population. For instance when talking about human biology, it is both accurate and useful to talk about males vs females. But, when talking about intangibles, such as beliefs, it is neither accurate or helpful to assign broad characterizations about people based on their gender, race, country of origin, social class, voting preferences, public service, body type, level of education, etc.

Scientific surveys for marketing or other legitimate purpose are valid when used and understood by people trained in their use. Even then, remember that statistics don't necessarily lie, but they don't tell the whole story, they have a stated degree of accuracy and they cannot be applied to an individual, only loosely to a group of individuals.

So, assuming that anyone who served in the military, particularly in combat, supports the indiscriminate ownership and use by civilians of assault weapons, is simply wrongheaded. This is a very complex issue and so are people. My view on this issue has actually evolved over the years and my military service doesn't factor into my thinking at all. As for the 2nd amendment itself, everyone is entitled to make their own interpretation of that. American society's own view of that has changed drastically over the past 30 years and is still evolving.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think labeling of people is a way for intellectually lazy people to simplify their world. As such, it is a valid survival mechanism for many, I think.

I am guilty of it sometimes. And, I'm usually pleasantly surprised to subsequently discover I was wrong in my assumptions.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-06-2022 at 09:41 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My label is, "American Citizen". An old piece of paper gives me the right to state my own opinion on all topics and to keep & bear arms - among several others just as important. You are welcome to your personal opinions but I don't have to agree with them.
    In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?".
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It might be useful in this discussion to talk about instances where we were victims of another's prejudices.

I have a number of them, but perhaps the one most germaine to this particular thread was when I tried to cross the border into Canada a few years back. My wife and I and our two terrier mix dogs were doing an extended RV trip towing our travel trailer. We waited in a queue of other vehicles, most of which were waved through after a cursory look at passports, etc. But, when we got to the booth, we were directed to a holding area for an interview and thorough inspection of our vehicles and luggage.

We were held there for two hours, while being scrutinized thoroughly. At one point, after searching and finding nothing suspicious, they asked again if we were carrying any weapons. I responded that I didn't even own any weapons. One agent actually said, incredulously, he found it hard to believe I was from Utah and didn't own weapons. What about for hunting? I don't hunt. Based on his bigoted assumption that everyone in gun-crazy American west had to own and carry guns, we were delayed for two hours.

Here's the kicker, when they finally released us and we drove away, only then did I realize I'd brought with me and presented at the border my old, expired and canceled with holes punched through passport, not my new valid one. They should not have let me cross at all because of that but didn't even notice it because they were so obsessed with proving I had a gun.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The herd stinks. Do your own thinking. We have problems today because too many now follow the herd for one reason or another.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I do not lean in any particular direction. My answers on controversial subjects will vary, depending on the subject at hand. I like to say that I think for myself, and do not let anyone influence me.

I will also say that this appears to a "test" thread to see how the moderators react. The grid thread has been closed. Please see my comment....the very last one at this moment in the thread.

We will and do enforce the rules of the site.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-06-2022 at 03:55 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO , in today's world there is WaaaaaaaaaaY to much labeling which includes accusatory rhetoric etc, I'm a FREE speecher. Which today is often called a White supremacist, Racist, Hate monger etc. ... I really don't think I'm any of those. ... I'm also accused of being a Conservative - which is only partially true. I think I'm really an Independant. Because my vote will be cast to the person ( Male , Female, black, white, gay, straight, even trans.) ... who I consider Sane, Intelligent, & with the similar values to mine. My philosophy is we ALL need to be able to speak our Truth AND we ALL need to LISTEN .... So this a short look into my mind ..... Thank you ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO , in today's world there is WaaaaaaaaaaY to much labeling which includes accusatory rhetoric etc, I'm a FREE speecher. Which today is often called a White supremacist, Racist, Hate monger etc. ... I really don't think I'm any of those. ... I'm also accused of being a Conservative - which is only partially true. I think I'm really an Independant. Because my vote will be cast to the person ( Male , Female, black, white, gay, straight, even trans.) ... who I consider Sane, Intelligent, & with the similar values to mine. My philosophy is we ALL need to be able to speak our Truth AND we ALL need to LISTEN .... So this a short look into my mind ..... Thank you ... Mike
    Thanks Mike,
    I also consider myself to be Independent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like to think of myself as a progressive independent. How's that for a label?

In California, I was considered 'conservative', because I wasn't a knee-jerk liberal. And of course because I was one of those misfit baby-killers returned from Vietnam. And I defended the use of nuclear power for electrical power plants. And opposed draining Lake Powell and the Hetch Hetchy.

In Utah and Arizona I'm a lib-tard snowflake. Oh, and heathen. Same person, same thought process, different hot-button issues.

My views haven't really shifted much in the last 30 years, because I consider each issue on its own merits, not what partisan politics demand. As Pop-eye used to say 'I am what I am'.

Actually all those labels were wrong. I'm just a 'contrarian'
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-06-2022 at 08:23 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ha, I reregistered years ago as a nondeclared, aka: as an independent. I think and feel along the same lines as BK, (well said Mike) and I don't care one way or the other who does or doesn't agree with it. I simply hop on my spyder and go wherever notion takes me. That's the way I live and that's the way I ride. If along the way I see that you need some help, I'll stop and gladly do whatever I can for you whether you are liberal, conservative, black or white, or red or yellow. After that, I'll be on my way.

Spyder Garage

I'm from Mars, proud graduate of the University of Mars.

Marvin the Martian.jpg

I have a Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator” that will put an end to all this earthly discord.

BTW----- I'm joking I have to say this as some here may actually take me seriously.
    Last edited by Lew L; 06-06-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

I'm from Mars, proud graduate of the University of Mars.

Marvin the Martian.jpg

I have a Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator” that will put an end to all this earthly discord.

BTW----- I'm joking I have to say this as some here may actually take me seriously.
    Good one, Lew
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-07-2022 at 10:23 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Dangerous territory. If I'm smart. I would just stick to sway bars! I'm smart today. Tomorrow? Well, I just can't say...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Dangerous territory. If I'm smart. I would just stick to sway bars! I'm smart today. Tomorrow? Well, I just can't say...
    All I can/will say is.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It might be useful in this discussion to talk about instances where we were victims of another's prejudices.

I have a number of them, but perhaps the one most germaine to this particular thread was when I tried to cross the border into Canada a few years back. My wife and I and our two terrier mix dogs were doing an extended RV trip towing our travel trailer. We waited in a queue of other vehicles, most of which were waved through after a cursory look at passports, etc. But, when we got to the booth, we were directed to a holding area for an interview and thorough inspection of our vehicles and luggage.

We were held there for two hours, while being scrutinized thoroughly. At one point, after searching and finding nothing suspicious, they asked again if we were carrying any weapons. I responded that I didn't even own any weapons. One agent actually said, incredulously, he found it hard to believe I was from Utah and didn't own weapons. What about for hunting? I don't hunt. Based on his bigoted assumption that everyone in gun-crazy American west had to own and carry guns, we were delayed for two hours.

Here's the kicker, when they finally released us and we drove away, only then did I realize I'd brought with me and presented at the border my old, expired and canceled with holes punched through passport, not my new valid one. They should not have let me cross at all because of that but didn't even notice it because they were so obsessed with proving I had a gun.
    Pete, I used to work for a expedite company and somethings crossed the border six times a day.
    I can say for a fact that there jerks working both sides of the border.
    Sorry you got one of the idiots.

Spyder Garage

Each to his/her own, opinions are just that, opinions - yours or mine!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2022 at 06:24 PM. Reason: ' 's after punctuation so that text to voice s/ware can read.... :-/
    U.S.Marine Corps
    Vietnam-Veteran 68/69

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been thinking more on this topic. I think labels become toxic when used as epithets to marginalize and denigrate people for political purposes. It seems to me that as a society we had pretty much moved away from openly discriminating against other 'groups' of people until recently. It is now all too common to use demeaning labels to vilify those whose political beliefs don't align with our own, with the result we are a nation divided, not united.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Just as an example, if a person is conservative on one issue, is he/she supposed to be conservative on all other issues? That is just one label, I know there are more. Why do there have to be labels? I ask b/c someone mentioned that how could someone who is/was in the military be against a certain amendment. I was in the military for 20 years, and I can have my own opinion without being labeled or following the herd, can't I?

I didn't write this based on any specific amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
    In regards to the question that person may have certain libertarian feelings, be misinformed, unable to grasp the opinion fully with todays prejudice or could not care less either way. I on the other hand chose to be a strict Constitutionalist and it has served me well as I like to know all the rules of the game I’m playing in and am not afraid of the label as I can argue my point if needed and have something in black and white to back up my opinion that is inarguably concrete.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    In regards to the question that person may have certain libertarian feelings, be misinformed, unable to grasp the opinion fully with todays prejudice or could not care less either way. I on the other hand chose to be a strict Constitutionalist and it has served me well as I like to know all the rules of the game I’m playing in and am not afraid of the label as I can argue my point if needed and have something in black and white to back up my opinion that is inarguably concrete.
    With respect, I don't think there is such as thing as a strict Consitutionalist; I think you mean 'Constructionist.

Constructionist implies that at the time of its writing, the Constitution was a complete and final document guiding the ship of state. That would obviate the need for Amendments and the Supreme Court.

I am a revisionist, meaning that I believe the Constitution needs revision occasionally by the legislative process through the use of Amendments. A strict Constructionist would have to believe that Amendments are unnecessary because the Framers got everything right the first time in perpetuity. As I recall, they were kind of vague as to who qualified as a citizen, entitled to the rights and protections of the Constitution. Hence subsequent Amendments and Supreme court cases.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-09-2022 at 07:50 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz1 View Post
    Each to his/her own, opinions are just that, opinions - yours or mine!
    Agreed. So, what is your opinion about 'labels' applied to people?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2022 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I understand what you’re saying UtahPete but I disagree and will stand by my statement as the Constitution is as written today and I don’t want to get drawn into a chop salad of words having variable meaning.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    I understand what you’re saying UtahPete but I disagree and will stand by my statement as the Constitution is as written today and I don’t want to get drawn into a chop salad of words having variable meaning.
    That's okay. This thread isn't about the Constitution anyway.
    2014 RTL Platinum