Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A new tire I found & am buying it

Due to inflation, tire shortages I'm buying a tire I like that is $20.00 less than an Altimax RT 43 in 215/60-15. ..... I haven't priced this tire anywhere but at Tire Rack. So it may be cheaper elsewhere .... I compared the RIKEN " Raptor HR " in 215/60-15 ( same as Altimax ) .... The Raptor stats are actually a bit better in three of the four categories that matter ie. Wet, Dry, Comfort, & Wear ..... The RT is 3/10ths better than the Raptor in the wet, but it's WET rating is still better than 85% of all the other 215/60-15 tires sold. I've ordered mine .... PS I have the Riken Raptor ZR model on my Shelby Cobra .... so far I like it ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike. I found your post and will take a look at the new tire...Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkBob View Post
    Thanks Mike. I found your post and will take a look at the new tire...Bob
    To see the RATINGS, pick your tire & size from their list for that BRAND , .... then scroll down the line graph, then compare both ... pick your tire ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike, and your favorite Front tires, still Vredestein? or something I've missed?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Thanks Mike, and your favorite Front tires, still Vredestein? or something I've missed?
    Vredestein Quatrac is still the BEST in Ratings ... however the Michelien " Cross Climate is very, very close .... However it's waaaaaaaaaay more expensive than the " Q " or RT43..... and only comes in limited sizes ...... Mike Because money is tight I bought that NEW Riken Raptor I posted about.... I think it's well worth the money

Spyder Garage

Am currently running a Riken Raptor ZR on my Honda CTX1300, and know at least two others with them. So far - very impressed. Seems to be a good tire.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    Am currently running a Riken Raptor ZR on my Honda CTX1300, and know at least two others with them. So far - very impressed. Seems to be a good tire.
    .... I have found in the past reviewing many brands that although the tire may be a different Model from others in that Brand they all seem to show similar ratings .... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

That’s the tire I was asking about in March. The dealer in Arizona wanted dad to buy it. They put quit a few of them out there. He ended up buying another Alimax since he ran 4 sets on his last rt with 115k. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...R-HR-215-60R15

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    That’s the tire I was asking about in March. The dealer in Arizona wanted dad to buy it. They put quit a few of them out there. He ended up buying another Alimax since he ran 4 sets on his last rt with 115k. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...R-HR-215-60R15
    What tire .... the Riken Raptor ????? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mike. Never hurts to save a buck or few.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Vredestein Quatrac is still the BEST in Ratings ... however the Michelien " Cross Climate is very, very close .... However it's waaaaaaaaaay more expensive than the " Q " or RT43..... and only comes in limited sizes ...... Mike Because money is tight I bought that NEW Riken Raptor I posted about.... I think it's well worth the money
    Hi Mike, based on your posts here I just ordered a Riken from Tire Rack on-line. Then I got a phone call from them stating, "I can't sell you this tire because Can-Am wants you to buy replacement tires only from them... so we're canceling your order."

Did you get your tire from them okay?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Hi Mike, based on your posts here I just ordered a Riken from Tire Rack on-line. Then I got a phone call from them stating, "I can't sell you this tire because Can-Am wants you to buy replacement tires only from them... so we're canceling your order."

Interesting that Tire rack would even know what vehicle they are for. I have never provided vehicle information to them when purchasing tires from them. Of course things may have changed since I last used them. It is also strange that they would even care.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I just ordered a Riken from Tire Rack on-line. Then I got a phone call from them stating, "I can't sell you this tire because Can-Am wants you to buy replacement tires only from them... so we're canceling your order."
    You must have informed them that it was going on a Spyder!

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Reorder online. Don’t state vehicle and click on it matches existing tire rating. I just ordered a new altimax last week with no problems. Ship to you and don’t schedule an appointment with shop

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Remember The Tire

....Do not tell anything about the vehicle the tire(s) are going to be installed.
    Then you should be able to purchase the tire(s).
    Remember the 'don't tell, don't need to know'.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't get the phone call, so they sent me an email. I replied to it, and then got another call with the info posted above. Here's the email I wrote in response to theirs:
    Hello Monty,

I just discovered my phone volume was accidentally turned off.

The tire is not for my Buick, but rather for the 15-inch rear wheel of my 3-wheel Can-Am Spyder, which has J-type car rims. It's to replace my now worn-out Michelin that has 55,000+ miles.

(The website forces me to enter a vehicle in order to proceed, but the Spyder is not listed therein.)

Please ship tire without delay... I didn't experience this hassle when I bought the Michelin.

Thanks,

(signed)

So yeah, I didn't want to say Spyder, but the website I had wouldn't let me bypass that input, so I input my Buick (which has 16-inch wheels).

Why does this happen? Because this country just has too damn many lawyers!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Yes it should be here on Thurs. June 9th ..... I learned a long time ago, when buying tires ... I select the tire I want, in the size I want and I don't ask or answer ANY questions. On the Tire Rack website they give you the option to buy what you want, without giving ANY veh. information. I've posted here at least a dozen times - " DON'T ORDER TIRES FOR SPYDERS AND TELL THEM THAT'S WHAT VEH. THEY ARE GOING ON " ..... Tire sellers are Legally bound NOT to sell you a tire that isn't certified for that veh. - and Auto tires arn't certified for Spyders. .... I just watched a Hilarious video from a Spyder " EXPERT " who claimed it was un-safe to use Auto tires on Spyders because the TIRE BEADS won't match motorcycle WHEELS and therefore would be dangerous. ... I do agree with that statement, HOWEVER Spyders don't have motorcycle style Wheels they Auto ( "J" ) style wheels. Sean Smoke isn't any better and He should know this ...... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Interesting that Tire rack would even know what vehicle they are for. I have never provided vehicle information to them when purchasing tires from them. Of course things may have changed since I last used them. It is also strange that they would even care.
    Tire Rack knew because the OP told them !!!!! .... And Sellers " care " because they can get SUED ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I didn't get the phone call, so they sent me an email. I replied to it, and then got another call with the info posted above. Here's the email I wrote in response to theirs:
    Hello Monty,

I just discovered my phone volume was accidentally turned off.

The tire is not for my Buick, but rather for the 15-inch rear wheel of my 3-wheel Can-Am Spyder, which has J-type car rims. It's to replace my now worn-out Michelin that has 55,000+ miles.

(The website forces me to enter a vehicle in order to proceed, but the Spyder is not listed therein.)

Please ship tire without delay... I didn't experience this hassle when I bought the Michelin.

Thanks,

(signed)

So yeah, I didn't want to say Spyder, but the website I had wouldn't let me bypass that input, so I input my Buick (which has 16-inch wheels).

Why does this happen? Because this country just has too damn many lawyers!
    Well if you told them it was for a BUICK that has 16in. wheels .... and you ordered a 15 inch tire ..... Big RED flag .... Tire Rack followed up because the SIZES didn't match. ..... I just bought my Riken " on-line " and had zero problems doing it ( explained in post # 17.;...... Mike .... wait a week and go back " on-line " and buy without giving any veh. info " .... that's how I did it .... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well if you told them it was for a BUICK that has 16in. wheels .... and you ordered a 15 inch tire ..... Big RED flag .... Tire Rack followed up because the SIZES didn't match. ..... I just bought my Riken " on-line " and had zero problems doing it ( explained in post # 17.;...... Mike .... wait a week and go back " on-line " and buy without giving any veh. info " .... that's how I did it .... good luck .... Mike
    Yes, Mike, I know that. But the website did NOT give me the option to state the tire I wanted without first entering Vehicle information. I couldn't get by that requirement....

Spyder Garage

Yes, Mike, I know that. But the website did NOT give me the option to state the tire I wanted without first entering Vehicle information. I couldn't get by that requirement....
    If I ever hear of anyone having that issue here, I tell them to say it's for an Independently Constructed Kit Vehicle (therefore no brand name ) running 15" 'J' type Auto rims.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

missouriboy, I ordered my tire from tirerack two days ago. The on-line web site gives you the OPTION to identify the vehicle you are going to put it on ....OR .... to DECLINE giving that info....... when I finished filling out the purchase order ...... it actually stated " buyer DECLINED to include vehicle information " ..... I think they add this to limit any responsibility for the Size & Type of tire I bought ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Curious to know how this tire works. Looking to replace my Kumho, got twice the mileage out of it as the factory Kenda, but wasn’t the greatest. Want something between it and the Altimax. The Altimax had too good of grip on grooved roads and wanted to follow them.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Curious to know how this tire works. Looking to replace my Kumho, got twice the mileage out of it as the factory Kenda, but wasn’t the greatest. Want something between it and the Altimax. The Altimax had too good of grip on grooved roads and wanted to follow them.
    Well it arrived last night at 8:30 PM from UPS ( they don't stop delivering until the truck is empty ) ..... I was surprised to discover this tire has ... 5 ... tread ply's ... 2 Poly , 2 Steel & 1 Nylon .... with 2 poly sidewall plies .... The Utog is 520 so I'll see how long it lasts in a few yrs. ../... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike , do you believe the new tire will be sticky enough? 520 seems to be a pretty hard compound.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander