Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What car tire size should I fit - 225/60 or 215/60R15?

Hi everyone, I am a fairly new Spyder rider, bought my 2021 RT Limited last fall. This is my first post. I have about 8,700 miles on the Spyder now and am looking for a new rear tire. After reading extensively on this forum about using a car tire, brands, sizes and air pressures I have narrowed it down to the General Altimax RT43. My questions is about what size. I had originally decided on a 225/60R15 because it was closest to the OEM tire size, 225/55R15, but I see a lot of people using the 215/60R15. I like the idea of the 225/60/R15 because of the extra width but is there a reason I should go with the 215/60R15? We ride 2 up 90% of the time.

We are really enjoying the new ride and appreciate all the information here on the forum.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkBob View Post
    Hi everyone, I am a fairly new Spyder rider, bought my 2021 RT Limited last fall. This is my first post. I have about 8,700 miles on the Spyder now and am looking for a new rear tire. After reading extensively on this forum about using a car tire, brands, sizes and air pressures I have narrowed it down to the General Altimax RT43. My questions is about what size. I had originally decided on a 225/60R15 because it was closest to the OEM tire size, 225/55R15, but I see a lot of people using the 215/60R15. I like the idea of the 225/60/R15 because of the extra width but is there a reason I should go with the 215/60R15? We ride 2 up 90% of the time.

We are really enjoying the new ride and appreciate all the information here on the forum.

Bob
    Hi Bob, welcome to posting on the Forum!

There's arguments either way on which tire width to go for, either will bring your Spyder's speedo (& odo too! ) a little closer to 'accurate', but I'd say the biggest/most valuable of the reasons for going for the 215/60R15 over the 225/60 is that the Spyder is somewhat 'over-tired' with the 225, especially if you don't drop your car tire pressure to 18-ish psi, and it's easier to run into hydroplaning problems with the wider tire if you ever end up riding in the wet. . Sure, you can reduce the likelihood of that by reducing the pressure a bit more, down to about 16 psi, but if it starts raining while you're out on a ride, who wants to stop to drop rear tire pressures, even if riding on might be a bit more iffy?!?

Other things may come into play/be of concern too, but without going thru a few of them some in detail, the simple fact is that the 215/60R15 is usually a 'better choice' of a/mkt tire size for the majority of Spyders & Spyder riders, including those who ride heavily laden &/or 2-up most of the time. . But it is your Spyder, and if you prefer the 225/60 for any reason, maybe just like the fat rear tire look more, &/or don't ride in the rain too often (altho maybe that one does mean you should go with the narrower tire to be safer if/when it does rain?!? ) then you should run the tire size/width you prefer - both those sizes will fit!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2022 at 04:01 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob
    225/55-15 rear OEM tire ..... Nope ... it's a 225 .... 50 -15 , and you want to go to 60 ..... I think that size ( on a 260 width ) ... very well may cause fitment issues .... the 215/60-15 is already a much larger tire ( in circumfernce ) than the 225/50-15 .... going even larger 225/60-15 imho is asking for trouble ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-20-2022 at 11:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    225/55-15 rear OEM tire ..... Nope ... it's a 225 .... 50 -15 , and you want to go to 60 ..... I think that size ( on a 255 width ) ... very well may cause fitment issues .... the 215/60-15 is already a much larger tire ( in circumfernce ) than the 225/50-15 .... going even larger 225/60-15 imho is asking for trouble ..... good luck .... Mike
    Thanks BlueKnight911 for catching my mistake Now I understand why the 215/60R15 is the better choice. I'll be ordering one tomorrow.
    I appreciate both your's and Peter's advice. Bob

Spyder Garage

Thanks BlueKnight911 for catching my mistake Now I understand why the 215/60R15 is the better choice. I'll be ordering one tomorrow.
    I appreciate both your's and Peter's advice. Bob
    I hope your read this post BEFORE you buy a REAR tire ..... I don't type well so just look for my NEW thread about a NEW Rear tire I just found...... Mike

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p-am-buying-it
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2022 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added link ;-)

Spyder Garage

I hope your read this post BEFORE you buy a REAR tire ..... I don't type well so just look for my NEW thread about a NEW Rear tire I just found...... Mike
    Thanks Mike. I will look for at. I haven't quite figured out how to navigate around the web site. LOL I have trouble finding the thread I posted in...Bob

Spyder Garage

Mike, which this post were you referring to, What's your latest tire recommendations again?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I just put a link in Mike's post #5 above
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Also - my wife’s recent-purchased ‘15 F3-S came with a new Kumho 225/50R15 on it - same size as OEM.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Mike, which this post were you referring to, What's your latest tire recommendations again?
    There's NOW a LINK to the thread .... see POST #5 above it's in RED ..... and much thanks to Peter who added it to my POST ... makes life easier for those computer challenged folks like me :......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-05-2022 at 08:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have the General 215/60R-15 and it really is perfect. NO fitment problems and the speedo is right on. The 60% aspect ratio gives the correct diameter to make the speedo very accurate. The 215 width is just fine for 2 up riding, which I do a fair amount ( at about 19 to 20 PSI).

Learn from Mike and Peter----------------

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Ok.. my head is swimming with all these tire numbers, year model of Spyder, how much load the Spyder carries..and their associated reasonings.. I have read them all and made handwritten notes. I look back at my notes and find various sizes written down and just throw my hands in the air as it is so confusing to me. I know NOTHING about tires except inflation numbers and I want good tires all the way around that hopefully last a long time. Looking for grip on slick bumpy areas in a curve.
    PLEASE could someone tell me which tires to specifically buy for both front and rear for MY Ride?
    Thank you, thank you gentlemen.

Here are the facts for my ride:

2021 RTL Spyder
    7144 miles
    Total load with driver and stuff in storage areas: 145 lbs
    One-up…. 99% of the time… occasionally 2-up once or twice a year
    Twisty hill country paved/often-bumpy-in-the-curves, side roads, and cattle guards
    Those roads will have a 20-35mph sign but we usually take them at 10mph+/- over the sign.
    Interstate highways 70+mph
    Usually dry weather unless caught out in a rain.
    Current OEM Front: Kenda KR31 165/55R15. Run them at 18 cold
    Current OEM Rear: Kenda KR21A 225/50R15. Run it at 28 cold
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Ok.. my head is swimming with all these tire numbers, year model of Spyder, how much load the Spyder carries..and their associated reasonings.. I have read them all and made handwritten notes. I look back at my notes and find various sizes written down and just throw my hands in the air as it is so confusing to me. I know NOTHING about tires except inflation numbers and I want good tires all the way around that hopefully last a long time. Looking for grip on slick bumpy areas in a curve.
    PLEASE could someone tell me which tires to specifically buy for both front and rear for MY Ride?
    Thank you, thank you gentlemen.

Here are the facts for my ride:

2021 RTL Spyder
    7144 miles
    Total load with driver and stuff in storage areas: 145 lbs
    One-up…. 99% of the time… occasionally 2-up once or twice a year
    Twisty hill country paved/often-bumpy-in-the-curves, side roads, and cattle guards
    Those roads will have a 20-35mph sign but we usually take them at 10mph+/- over the sign.
    Interstate highways 70+mph
    Usually dry weather unless caught out in a rain.
    Current OEM Front: Kenda KR31 165/55R15. Run them at 18 cold
    Current OEM Rear: Kenda KR21A 225/50R15. Run it at 28 cold
    Read my post # 5. & #10 above .... But be advised these are AUTO tires and not all dealers will mount them .... there are other ways to get it mounted tho ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-06-2022 at 08:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Read my post # 5. & #10 above .... But be advised these are AUTO tires and not all dealers will mounty .... there are other ways to get it mounted tho ..... Mike
    Thank you for reply Mike. Believe me I have read your posts.. and did so again just now.
    Will the size you discussed in those posts fit my 2021 Spyder RTL.. since I know the tires you ordered were to fit your 2014 Spyder..?
    I have no idea if the 2021 and the 2014 take the same tire size.
    Thank you for your patience with this clueless person.
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

I have the General 215/60R-15 and it really is perfect. NO fitment problems and the speedo is right on. The 60% aspect ratio gives the correct diameter to make the speedo very accurate. The 215 width is just fine for 2 up riding, which I do a fair amount ( at about 19 to 20 PSI).

Lew L
    So a 60R is not causing any fitment issues. Then post #3 is incorrect.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Lew L
    The post you quoted Ex is referring to running a 215/60, while post #3 is expressing an opinion and a word of caution about running running a 225/60 tire - see below...

225/55-15 rear OEM tire ..... Nope ... it's a 225 .... 50 -15 , and you want to go to 60 ..... I think that size ( on a 255 width ) ... very well may cause fitment issues .... the 215/60-15 is already a much larger tire ( in circumfernce ) than the 225/50-15 .... going even larger 225/60-15 imho is asking for trouble ..... good luck .... Mike

So no, post #3 is fine as it stands.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Aspect ratio is a % of the tire width and it is the side wall height. 60% of 225 mm is 135 side wall height. 60% of 215 is 129 mm. A slight difference in diameter. Again the 215/60/ 15 is a good fit.......
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thank you for reply Mike. Believe me I have read your posts.. and did so again just now.
    Will the size you discussed in those posts fit my 2021 Spyder RTL.. since I know the tires you ordered were to fit your 2014 Spyder..?
    I have no idea if the 2021 and the 2014 take the same tire size.
    Thank you for your patience with this clueless person.
    The wheels and tires of the 14 and 21 are the exact same size ( not the same appearance tho )..... Most folks use 215/60-15 on the rear because it is both available and corrects the speedo / odometer error from the OEM size .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-06-2022 at 08:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

In post #3.- I was referencing the OP thinking a .... 225/ 60 -15 would fit .... I don't think it will, there is very little room at the REAR of the tire..... Mike

Spyder Garage

In post #3.- I was referencing the OP thinking a .... 225/ 60 -15 would fit .... I don't think it will, there is very little room at the REAR of the tire..... Mike
    Thank you ever so much!
    Also.. I appreciate the tip you gave a few months back about placing a wedge on the Utopia backrest to get just the right angle for lumbar support.. prior to that simple tip I had tried some harsh attempts at getting a supportive angle on the backrest..

Spyder Garage

Thank you ever so much!
    Also.. I appreciate the tip you gave a few months back about placing a wedge on the Utopia backrest to get just the right angle for lumbar support.. prior to that simple tip I had tried some harsh attempts at getting a supportive angle on the backrest..
    Thanks for your reply .... My first thoughts about how to add a lumbar support were complicated and difficult to do .... Then I decided SIMPLE was the answer. Easy to change, not permanent and it wasn't visible ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The post you quoted Ex is referring to running a 215/60, while post #3 is expressing an opinion and a word of caution about running running a 225/60 tire - see below...

So no, post #3 is fine as it stands.
    But isn't the OEM width of the rear tire 225???

Spyder Garage

But isn't the OEM width of the rear tire 225???
    The OEM width certainly is 225, but it's not a 225 wide tire with a 60 profile.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-07-2022 at 09:59 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Ok then, has anybody fitted a 225/60R/15 tire on the back of their Spyder with no fitment problems?

Spyder Garage

225/50R15 on mine. car tire.
    2011 RTS Spyder