Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default My new Utopia Backrest

Well when the promised Sea to Sky matching backrest didn't materialize I started to look at something I can get as a good looking replacement. Several folks from here recommended Utopia Backrest. I looked into all the reasonable options that I could find and settled on Utopia. Here are some pictures. This backrest was cheaper and a lot better looking than the BRP one. I think I will be happy.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2022 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

I rgus

On my 2014 RT spyder I opted for a Utopia, it is very well designed, and for several adjustments that the BRP does not have..

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rgus View Post
    Well when the promised Sea to Sky matching backrest didn't materialize I started to look at something I can get as a good looking replacement. Several folks from here recommended Utopia Backrest. I looked into all the reasonable options that I could find and settled on Utopia. Here are some pictures. This backrest was cheaper and a lot better looking than the BRP one. I think I will be happy.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg
    I have been using Utopia backrests for decades ...... They are very adjustable except for one thing ..... LUMBAR SUPPORT ... However it's easy to get some .... get a few different thickness wedges ( wood, cardboard etc. ) and tape it to the seat post where the bottom edge of the backrest touches the post ..... this will tilt the backrest and give as much or as little extra support as needed ..... good luck .... Mike I thought of threading another hole and using a bolt to make it adjustable , but decided it was waaaay to much work , if you just use blk tape no one can see it anyway .... jmho ....M

Spyder Garage

Is that backrest easily removable?

Spyder Garage

Yep it slides right out of the mounting bracket.

Spyder Garage

You will really like it. I have had that back rest on 3 different bikes and liked every one of them.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I replaced the one I bought (see pic) 2 years ago with a Utopia. What a huge difference. My back no longer hurts like it did with the Show Chrome one in the pic. (new pics coming soon)
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Does the Utopia backrest fold forward if so does it lay flat sort of?

Anyone have a picture of it folded forward?
    Last edited by al0vely; 05-08-2023 at 12:02 PM.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

99A3FCB3-C2ED-4A39-94A9-36630116C4D6.jpg

I have set my Utopia pad such that it is in the lowest setting as I wanted the pad to be more in my lower back.
    Probably the higher the setting the more flat lie it would achieve.. i.e. .. the pad would stand up further from the back edge of the driver seat.
    As it is, the bottom of my pad nudges into the driver seat back edge when laid forward.. still makes for good clearance for me swinging the leg over.
    Just before I settle into the driver seat I reach around and straighten the backrest up. I have done it this way for years on all my bikes.

P.s… i also tie-wrapped a door wedge, with the fat end pointing down, between the back of the pad and the main support. It gives a little more support to my back with the pad being at a slight angle. Got this great tip from BlueKnight911 here on the forum. I believe he made his own wedge. I don't have any tools to do that but found the door wedge works great for me.
    Last edited by Pooch; 05-08-2023 at 03:07 PM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    99A3FCB3-C2ED-4A39-94A9-36630116C4D6.jpg

I have set my Utopia pad such that it is in the lowest setting as I wanted the pad to be more in my lower back.
    Probably the higher the setting the more flat lie it would achieve.. i.e. .. the pad would stand up further from the back edge of the driver seat.
    As it is, the bottom of my pad nudges into the driver seat back edge when laid forward.. still makes for good clearance for me swinging the leg over.
    Just before I settle into the driver seat I reach around and straighten the backrest up. I have done it this way for years on all my bikes.

P.s… i also tie-wrapped a door wedge, with the fat end pointing down, between the back of the pad and the main support. It gives a little more support to my back with the pad being at a slight angle. Got this great tip from BlueKnight911 here on the forum. I believe he made his own wedge. I don't have any tools to do that but found the door wedge works great for me.
    I ended up cutting the length of the back rest to 3 inches. Back rest now sits lower to seat and right up next to back of drivers seat. Before it was pushing to close to the front. now gets lower back and and im further back from front
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

It looks to me like it's a lot bigger than a lot of other backrests I've seen. I like that. It should cover more back area.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2023 at 06:42 PM. Reason: then (time) - than (comparison) ;-)
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    It looks to me like its a lot bigger then a lot of other backrests I've seen. I like that. It should cover more back area.
    From others I have seen it is the largest.
    I bought a Show Chrome driver back rest first for my ‘21 RTL because I needed one ASAP and could not get my usual Utopia as quickly as I wanted.. they were closed for a winter’s rest.
    What a disappointment! The Show Chrome felt like a tiny little fist poking into my back.
    Just as soon as the Utopia came in the Show Chrome was a gonner.
    I let a fellow Spyder ryder try it.. he couldn’t stand it either.. gave it back.. and I was not asking any money for it.
    Not knocking the Show Chrome for quality or its general design level… maybe if the pad had been a lot larger… it just wasn’t for me.
    Guess it all depends on what you get used to.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

It looks to me like it's a lot bigger than a lot of other backrests I've seen. I like that. It should cover more back area.
    ... it's larger in size ie. square inches of support, however it's really quite THIN, which is a Plus if your passengers are " portly " . and it has enough padding to keep it comfortable .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm just wondering. If you fold that backrest down for mounting the bike, does it stay down on it's own or do you have to hold it down?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I'm just wondering. If you fold that backrest down for mounting the bike, does it stay down on it's own or do you have to hold it down?
    There arn't any Springs on the Utopia .... mine just lays flat .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Look at my picture above, it stays down like that until I move it back up.

Click on the picture and it will get larger.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It does, it's also thinner than the others I have seen. .... This is a plus if your passenger is a bit portly ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2023 at 09:56 PM. Reason: iot's... ; ig... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Here's a pic of my Utopia.

20230508_173347.jpg
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

If my wife rides with me, the Utopia comes off, and I use her for a very comfy backrest. Did the same on our '06 GL1800.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    If my wife rides with me, the Utopia comes off, and I use her for a very comfy backrest. Did the same on our '06 GL1800.
    If I did that all I'd get is a shoulder massage and no lumbar support! IYKWIM...

Spyder Garage

My Utopia backrest shipped today. Looking forward to getting it on
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I got my Utopia backrest installed yesterday after having it for a week. We went for a 200 mile ride today and I was very comfortable with the stock settings - eliminated my discomfort. I had the BRP backrest on my F3L and am glad I didn’t get it again for my RTL.

Thanks all that recommended the Utopia.

IMG_5624.jpg
    Last edited by al0vely; 05-24-2023 at 05:57 PM.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue