Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT With Sun Damaged Plastic/Trim - any fixes?

Hey folks,

Looking for advice on the best way to cosmetically address UV damaged plastic and body panels. The worst of it are the panels by the passenger grips as they are now some ugly shade of gray with lots of white chalk marks. Dash panels are not as bad but do show wear. Man, do they scratch easily. Even a fingernail creates more damage. Rear and side panels are sound, just dull and lifeless.

I have seen auto detailers use dye on bumpers and trim but I wonder how long that stuff lasts or how well it penetrates. Our RT is silver and having a rich matte black finish on these parts would really make it pop. Very DIY and looking to do the restorations myself. BTW, has BRP improved the quality of these panels in later years?

Spyder Garage

I have used Kiwi black shoe DYE. Couple of coats and it looks brand new. But… if the plastic has deteriorated to the point it scratches easily best bet is to replace. Trying to rejuvenate old plastic sometimes can be more problem than worth.

Spyder Garage

We need pictures, but for dull plastics, specially rubber, or matte, a solution that worked for me, is using a hairdryer, this will liven up the matte finish, you can also use a little more heat from a paintstripper, fohn.
    But use caution, not overheating the plastics, use a waving motion, where you go over the panel, to be sure not to put to much heat on one place.

For matte finishes, there aren't that much cleaning solutions, the ones that are out, will make it more look like a wetlook...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Get some BACK TO BLACK at an auto supply store. It works wonders on plastic. Maybe GeorgeXP700 would like to try it on his shoes.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

You could also try the plasti dip sprays. It's a rubberized coating, so I imagine it wont go on too shiny and should stick to the plastic as long as its cleaned and free of any oil or wax.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

I’ve been using the shoe dye for over twenty years. It works and it lasts. Don’t knock it until you have tried it.

Spyder Garage

We go to Fl for a few weeks in the winter to escape the northern cold. I had preordered a new Sea to Sky so we though we would hit a couple dealers just to see what we could see. I was appalled at the sun damage to the plastic on a lot of the bikes. I would assume that would take years and years setting outside to do that kind of damage.

Spyder Garage

Of all the different black plastic restorers I have used, this is the only one that worked and after a year still looks fantastic. https://idscarcare.com/products/solu...%7C%20%2419.99
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2022 at 08:27 PM. Reason: j ?!
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Appreciate all the suggestions. Here are photos of what I'm working with. Thought about replacing the panels but it's more cost effective for me to try dye, paint, or heat.

Right.jpg - Right2.jpg - Left.jpg - Left2.jpg -

Dash.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2022 at 11:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Click here There are a bunch of videos on YouTube of the Lithium Graphene Trim Cubes. They work wonders. But, restoration of plastic that damaged is going to be very difficult.

Plasti-Dip collects dirt very badly and does not hold up. Especially in places where it receives rubbing. Like motorcycle plastic.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2022 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Removed colour on 'click here' so that all can see it!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I hear Skim33 and 303 Aerospace Protectant work well.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I used Wipe-New on my F350 plastic. It looks new and 1 year later looks almost but not quite as good, quite durable. Comes in packets with 6 wet pads. 1 pad will do your whole machine and more, so maybe find a car with some faded trim and get that all ready to coat too. It smells like bug spray for a day or so but looks wet and black instantly, though it is a clear product. Wear gloves, don't get on your paint or chrome. I will definitely use it again. One thing I noticed is that I had some water spots on the bumper plastic when I started, and now those are starting to show. So as a precaution, I would suggest washing the plastic with some CLR, rinse, dry so you know there are no calcium stains under the stuff before you start. Got mine on Amazon. Some other products (like 303) might look great, but start to fade almost the first day. This stuff will last a LONG time.
    2014 RT , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I went with SpyderJerry's suggestion on using Solution Finish and the results have been dramatic. Will have before and after photos when finished.

Spyder Garage

I am thinking of painting the sun damaged fairing around my headlights. Only a few years old and looks horrible. If I can get it off, I am thinking of getting it painted a nice gloss black. Any ideas?

faded 2020.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2023 at 05:44 PM. Reason: ferring... & fixed attach display ;-)
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    I am thinking of painting the sun damaged fairing around my headlights. Only a few years old and looks horrible. If I can get it off, I am thinking of getting it painted a nice gloss black. Any ideas?

faded 2020.jpg
    Just get some Mothers Back to Black. Get it at Amazon, Walmart or any auto parts store.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post

faded 2020.jpg
    I wouldn't!!

Once you paint it, you're stuck with keeping that paint looking good, and that's going to require far more effort than for just about any other finish, AND it'll likely always look tacky anyway!! Most 'paint over black plastic' finishes always do, especially those that are exposed & prone to weathering!

Besides all those other great products mentioned ^^ especially those tried & tested on Spyders by the Owners &/or our Sponsors that are particularly suited to Spyders/Rykers, there are quite a few vids on utube out there showing how you can rejuvenate the weathered surface on most coloured plastic finishes with the judicious application of heat/flame - just a couple of light passes with a blow torch/gas flame & the surface looks brand new again!! In my experience with doing that, you'll probably need to do it again in 5-10 years or so, depending on how exposed to harsh sunlight and weather it is But then, depending upon where you are over there, you lot tend to get juuust a little less harsh sunlight/weathering over in that part of the world than we do here in Oz, so maybe not??

So for my 2 bob's worth, I REALLY wouldn't even consider painting it, not when there's so many better options out there!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I wouldn't!!

Once you paint it, you're stuck with keeping that paint looking good, and that's going to require far more effort than for just about any other finish, AND it'll likely always look tacky anyway!! Most 'paint over black plastic' finishes always do, especially those that are exposed & prone to weathering!

Besides all those other great products mentioned ^^ especially those tried & tested on Spyders by the Owners &/or our Sponsors that are particularly suited to Spyders/Rykers, there are quite a few vids on utube out there showing how you can rejuvenate the weathered surface on most coloured plastic finishes with the judicious application of heat/flame - just a couple of light passes with a blow torch/gas flame & the surface looks brand new again!! In my experience with doing that, you'll probably need to do it again in 5-10 years or so, depending on how exposed to harsh sunlight and weather it is But then, depending upon where you are over there, you lot tend to get juuust a little less harsh sunlight/weathering over in that part of the world than we do here in Oz, so maybe not??

So for my 2 bob's worth, I REALLY wouldn't even consider painting it, not when there's so many better options out there!

Just Sayin'
    Thanks. I tried the Mothers, Cerakote, and a heat gun (and about every black restorative on the market). The heat gun helped the finish temporarily. I agree about the painting, mostly because I have found the part numbers and pricing from BRP. The 4 parts needed come to about $260, much less than I could probably get it removed and painted. I am considering replacing the parts myself if I can find some instructions. The left and right hand console fairings & headlight central fairing seem fairly straight forward, but the upper console fairing looks a little intimidating. The whole replacement will involve taking most of the Tupperware, windshield, and both mirrors off. I've replaced the windshield with a custom one, so that is easy-peazy. That upper console (dash board under the windshield looks a bit more complex.
    Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 6.46.52 PM.jpg
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red