Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tire pressure

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    I share your confusion, but I am used to being confused.

It is obvious that if the tire pressure exceeds 30 psi by 4 to 8 pounds, it will most likely not experience catastrophic failure - too many people are running at 30psi cold and I have not seen one post about exploding tires.

My totally uneducated and fact-less based guess is that the tire does have that margin of safety Scotty mentions and will not fail catastrophically if its PSI hovers above 30. But, above 30 PSI the tire (given its structure and class of materials) may deform and wear at a higher rate. In its design/engineering/manufacture/marketing this was probably a trade-off decision - not an unusual type of business decision for any product.

I really don't know if this is right, and if true, if it is a good or bad thing - and will probably never know. But, I will operate on this assumption and inflate my tires so they seldom go over 30 psi and hope I get more life out of them. That has called for some monitoring of tire pressures and riding conditions, events, style and preferences. My riding probably has a larger swing in temps and altitude than most. For the Summer, I got to 25psi (rear) 17psi (front) being my target. ( I like a firm ride ). With Fall and Winter coming, I will probably change that.

Like most mass consumer products, I am guessing as long as you stay in the specified range, you will be OK. Like I said, maybe by watching this, it will optimize my tire's life. Maybe not. The only things I know are;
    • I hate the idea of replacing tires - especially the rear.
    • I do not like riding on worn tires.
    • I hate getting flats.
    So, I will watch it, maybe it will help. I also have a spare set of front wheels and tires. (yes, I hate those 3 points above enough to have spent the money on having spares ready-to-go)

Tom
    Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis, Tom. So far, I am pretty happy with the Spyder's tire life, especially after years of changing motorcycle tires every 9,000 or 10,000 miles or so.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also do 20 front / 30 rear and it has been working great for me.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I have 11,000 on my tires and have run 18 in the front and 28 in the rear - in Fla in the summer. I have very even wear and am still a good ways off of encountering my first wear bar on the rear tire.

I run at 70-80 on the Interstates. Ambient air temp yesterday was 90 degrees.

I don't do burnouts but I ryde hard.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis, Tom. So far, I am pretty happy with the Spyder's tire life, especially after years of changing motorcycle tires every 9,000 or 10,000 miles or so.

Bruce
    I'd kill for that on my Beemer. Usually only 5,000 to 6,000 on my RT, front and rear.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Scotty, my chain has been yanked so hard and so many times . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    My question, purely conjectural, is that if the 30 psi max is to keep the center from wearing faster at higher pressures, what keeps the outside from wearing faster if the pressure is lower than optimum? And what about loading...a heavy rider vs. a skinny one, or carrying a passenger? Not yanking your chain, just playing the devil's advocate with a little food for thought.
    . . . . it broke off years ago.

My guess-imate is that the answer lies in the engineering and construction of the tire - and what the "optimum" is for the conditions you list. If the tire has "steel belt" reinforcements, how they were organized to distribute stresses would have a lot to do with how well the tire retains its shape or deforms. These "belts" composition, weave, tensile strength, flexibility, and plastic memory under different temperatures, pressures and kinetic forces and their frequency are probably the main factor in tire shape under usage - much like how the construction (weave and embedded kinetic shield plates) allow them to perform their function (protect the wearer) better.

For an everyday kind of item, tires are very complex - at least to my simple mind. I would also guess that the road surface would have a lot to do with the wear of the tire. Chemicals, like Chlorine, oil, gas, tars and other solvents, pavement texture (like different grits in sandpaper), and road debris that cuts, but does not puncture the whole tire probably also degrade the tires "rubber" and can cause them to wear [tread] out faster. I would also guess that that would effect their structural integrity and 'shape' performance.

Given all the variations in how tires can be engineered, the components used, the surfaces they are used on, what they are exposed to, and all the other factors mentioned and all the ones we have not considered (tire size and manufacturing anomalies for example), it would be unlikely we would come up with " The Answer " or "The Best Tire" for everyone.

The simple answer for my simple mind is, "keep it under 30 psi as best you can", as far as the stock tires on the Spyder go.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom in NM; 10-13-2009 at 07:18 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'd kill for that on my Beemer. Usually only 5,000 to 6,000 on my RT, front and rear.
    Best mileage I ever got on a rear tire was 28,000...2000 Yamaha RoyalStar Venture.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    The simple answer for my simple mind is, "keep it under 30 psi as best you can".

Tom
    The answer for me comes to us via Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Newman..."What, me worry?"
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

18 Front; 28 rear. One-up only - she 100lbs, me 165.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black