Spyder Garage

Default My first "Oh Crap" moment, got off cheap!

I had to go to a customer site that is only 10 minutes from my house, so of course, take the Spyder they said. It'll be fun they said.

When my work was done, I went out to the parking lot to start her up. Turn the key, everything wakes up, all is normal, until click....and the instruments go dark, and I have no parking brake. I was on a gentle incline, so I finagled a way to chock a wheel while still on the brake.

So a loss of power that sudden and complete signaled to me that I had a fuse go out, or worse, an electronic module of some sort, with the wallet damage going up exponentially. Now as the regulars here know, I have only had this thing a month, a 2017 RTL with some miles on her. The guy I bought it from drove it 13 hours to deliver it to me. He had just bought a battery, and gave me the receipt for the warranty.

So I called the wife to bring the jumper cables. A brand new battery giving up the ghost suddenly is not likely, but I'm sure it happens. In the mean time, I started checking fuses, and all were good. When I clipped the jumper cable to the positive lead of my battery, everything came back to life! So I decided to remove the cable and everything was still alive!

So there was a connection that they didn't get tight enough when they replaced the battery. When I crammed my backpack with my laptop and tools in the frunk, I no doubt put enough pressure on the battery to loosen that connection just enough to disconnect everything. With that much current, just a small increase in resistance could be all it takes to shut her down.

I'm sure I tied a bunch of others for the cheapest fix in Spyder history! $0! Just passing this along for others to store in memory if anything like this happens to them. If it ever happens to me again, I know the first place I'm checking!
    2017 SPYDER RT LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Clean post, star washers and a good tightening, can keep the gremlins away!! But new battery's can go south, keep that in mind!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yup, clean, and put starwashers on... Nice learning curve.... if all goes south, try the west or north
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Clean post, star washers and a good tightening, can keep the gremlins away!! But new battery's can go south, keep that in mind!
    and good advice on the STAR washers .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dmiles View Post
    When I crammed my backpack with my laptop and tools in the frunk, I no doubt put enough pressure on the battery to loosen that connection just enough to disconnect everything.
    :
    Shouldn't a 2017 have a cover over the battery to keep things from pushing up against it?
    2022 RT Limited Deep Marsala/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Couple months ago, bought a 7900 mile "used" 2020RT LTD-C from a dealer. In conversation I must said something about getting a trickle charger pig tale. Next day when I picked her up, she was electrically dead. The tech that added the wire forgot and only finger tightened the battery bolts. 20 seconds later all was well.
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdawg View Post
    Shouldn't a 2017 have a cover over the battery to keep things from pushing up against it?
    Yes. it does, but there is only so much a thin piece of plastic can do to guard against some moron cramming his backpack into the frunk. Ok, maybe a bit harsh. Maybe I just left my thinking cap at home that day.
    2017 SPYDER RT LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    Couple months ago, bought a 7900 mile "used" 2020RT LTD-C from a dealer. In conversation I must said something about getting a trickle charger pig tale. Next day when I picked her up, she was electrically dead. The tech that added the wire forgot and only finger tightened the battery bolts. 20 seconds later all was well.
    Previous owner added a pigtail, and USB ports with a 12v plug at the center of the handlebars. So things are getting a little crowded on the terminals. I will be doing something way overkill today to get things squared away.
    2017 SPYDER RT LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Many folks pull accessory power off the battery to a power distribution block, like the Black Box or Fuzeblocks that SlingMods and others have on their websites.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020