Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Gerald, my airbag does get up to 90psi when I am riding (but I am 300lbs). It then drops downs to 70 once I get off (I have a FOBO unit connected). It adjusts automatically to the rider, so I’m not sure what you expected to achieve by letting it out to 15psi, as it would automatically re adjust when you turned on the RT and sat on it. I’m not sure the issue is with your airbag.
    Can you confirm that they reconnected your small seat to frame arm on the left side of the RT? You should be able to see it if you get on the ground behind the RT and shine a light alongside the rear seat. It’s about the size of your forefinger and connects the seat to the frame.

Pete
    I only weigh 160 lbs. When I got it I put 15 lbs in it and it rode great. I checked the small arm and it is hooked up ok. When I called the dealer that was the first thing they had me check. I had already checked that. I knew that from previous Spyders. The compressor just doesn't shut off.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-23-2022 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote display + ' 's ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I called the dealer today and they haven't found the compressor problem yet. They replaced the shock but have not found why the compressor keeps pumping up the airbag. They have had it 2 1/2 weeks now. I just wish I had my 2019 back.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Gerald, I wonder if they've gone in BUDS software with your Spyder to check/properly set the ride height (that's what the automated compressor system is supposed to working at). Though you're the second person I've seen post about their '21 riding rougher than their earlier Spyders. I wonder if it's something in the new programming or software settings. Could they try temporarily bypassing the Automatic system and run a straight airline from the inlet valve to the airbag. Solo riders should be more like 45 to 55 pounds in the airbag per the owners manual chart on page 48 pf the manual.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Gerald, I wonder if they've gone in BUDS software with your Spyder to check/properly set the ride height (that's what the automated compressor system is supposed to working at). Though you're the second person I've seen post about their '21 riding rougher than their earlier Spyders. I wonder if it's something in the new programming or software settings. Could they try temporarily bypassing the Automatic system and run a straight airline from the inlet valve to the airbag. Solo riders should be more like 45 to 55 pounds in the airbag per the owners manual chart on page 48 pf the manual.
    I am about to see if they can bypass the automatic system. I do ride alone all the time.I just don't know why they can't fix it. I know they have Buds.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I called the dealer this morning to see what they found out.They said when the shock bolt dropped out it damaged the sensor to the compressor. They have it on order and hope to have it next week.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I called the dealer this morning to see what they found out.They said when the shock bolt dropped out it damaged the sensor to the compressor. They have it on order and hope to have it next week.
    Good to hear they finally found it, Gerald. See, you don’t need your 2019 back at all, just a more switched-on mechanic (which appears to be the primary source of most complaints about faults and fault rectification on the Spyder )

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, I know I shouldn't complain about the Spyder. It is really the factory did not tighten the nut on the shock. Other than that, it seems to be OK. There just seems like on the website there is so many complaints of problems with the Spyder's. I suppose the problems is what we hear about. We never here about the ones with no problems. This is my third Spyder and I never had any problems with my 2015 0r 2019. My 2015 did have the DESS module go out but I was able to replace it myself with help from the site. I am in hopes this 2021 will be like my two others.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-02-2022 at 07:09 PM. Reason: dress modular - DESS module ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

No, I know I shouldn't complain about the Spyder. It is really the factory did not tighten the nut on the shock. Other than that, it seems to be OK. There just seems like on the website there is so many complaints of problems with the Spyder's. I suppose the problems is what we hear about. We never here about the ones with no problems. This is my third Spyder and I never had any problems with my 2015 0r 2019. My 2015 did have the DESS module go out but I was able to replace it myself with help from the site. I am in hopes this 2021 will be like my two others.
    That information regarding the factory not installing the shock bolt tight is incorrect.
    Your Spyder was shipped in the crate with the rear shock bolt removed. This is how all of the newer ones ship.
    The dealer that assembled your Spyder failed to correctly build the Spyder.

On my friends 2021, the dealer called and explained they needed the Spyder back. After talking with a service writer, I learned that the lower shock spacer was not installed, but the nut was tightened.

Very possibly yours did not have the spacer installed. The spacer serves as a crush sleeve to allow correct tightening of the lower shock bolt / nut. Without the spacer, what you described where the bolt falls out can happen. Very possibly this bent your shock shaft and very likely bent the swingarm shock mounts since they are not designed for loads like that.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-02-2022 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did not know the dealer put the shock bolt in. It was missing one of the spacers. I just thought it came out when the bolt came out. You are probably right the dealer left the spacer out which cause the nut to come loose. The dealer that is doing the work is not the dealer I purchased the Spyder from. They are doing it under warranty. Thanks for the information.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got the Spyder back today. They said they replaced the censor that regulates the compressor. Same as before they must not have test rode it. It does the same as before. Ride it a short ways and it will have 90 lbs of air in the air bag. I called them and they said they will call BP Tuesday. I am getting pretty tired of this. It has been over one month and two trips to the dealer. I sure wish I had my 2019 back.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Gerald, do you want to ride it up here to Faribault, MN, or do you want me to ride down there, let's bypass the ACS entirely and set and find your comfortable pressure whilst the dealer tries to figure it out.
    I would ask the dealer, by email (in writing reply please) after their technician replaced the part, did they hook up Buds and check and or adjust the ride height according to the repair manual? Bet the mech just replaced the part and assumed everything else was good. (By the way, you have checked that pressure with more than one gauge right? Here's what my Spyder looked like when I was fixing my ACS on my '13 RTL a couple years back.

Naked Spyder in 2018.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2022 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I got the Spyder back today. They said they replaced the censor that regulates the compressor. Same as before they must not have test rode it. It does the same as before. Ride it a short ways and it will have 90 lbs of air in the air bag. I called them and they said they will call BP Tuesday. I am getting pretty tired of this. It has been over one month and two trips to the dealer. I sure wish I had my 2019 back.
    If it stops pumping air continuously at 90 psi, then THAT's the pressure your ACS needs to maintain the pre-set ride height, and the number itself is completely irrelevant, so you can & should ignore it, cos NOTHING YOU CAN DO to the air bag &/or it's 'pressure' will change that UNLESS you change the pre-set Ride Height!!

So do yourself a favour, FORGET THE PSI NUMBER for now, and take DGoebel up on his very kind offer - or do that bypass yourself! . Then and ONLY THEN will varying the psi in the air bag have any real relationship to your ride!! Unless you do that, the 'number' itself is purely incidental & pretty much completely meaningless!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I finally got the Spyder back and everything working fine. They found a air leak making the compressor to keep pumping. I put 200 miles on it today and it rides great. It is riding just like it did when I got it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

not a good dealership story, but now you can make up time. ride a whole bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

There were two dealerships involved.

One 100-150 miles away who prepared improperly the new Spyder and sold it to Gerald.

One nearby who is very busy with quads and similar vehicles for the local farming community.

And then there's Gerald who, as he said in an early post, does all the service himself and seemed reluctant to pursue the obvious warranty condition in favor of disconnecting the compressor.

So overall it was just one of those things that delayed what hopefully will be a wonderful riding summer and a faithful ride for many years.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike