Spyder Garage

Default Having trouble with 2019 RTL seat bolt removal - help? Ideas?

Hello everyone. I am trying to remove the stock seat on our 2019 RTL. Each side has a bolt and a hex nut in a square plastic housing. On one side, I somehow pulled the nut out of the square plastic housing. When I turn the bolt, the hex nut spins with it. I can't seem to access the nut to hold it when removing the bolt. I am wondering if it is cross threaded or something.

Does anyone have an idea on how to remove this bolt and nut? I tried from both above and below the seat. There is not much room to get anything in there to hold the nut when loosening the bolt.

Thanks all!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by casey111 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am trying to remove the stock seat on our 2019 RTL. Each side has a bolt and a hex nut in a square plastic housing. On one side, I somehow pulled the nut out of the square plastic housing. When I turn the bolt, the hex nut spins with it. I can't seem to access the nut to hold it when removing the bolt. I am wondering if it is cross threaded or something.

Does anyone have an idea on how to remove this bolt and nut? I tried from both above and below the seat. There is not much room to get anything in there to hold the nut when loosening the bolt.

Thanks all!
    If you take the back part of the seat off (passenger back rest) you will have more room to work on the nut and bolt on the lower seat that may help if you have not done that.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    If you take the back part of the seat off (passenger back rest) you will have more room to work on the nut and bolt on the lower seat that may help if you have not done that.
    I did remove the passenger back rest. I can access the bolt head this way, but the nut is inside the plastic parts that the seat mounts to. Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2022 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

did you find a way to get the bolt out and if so any pics by chance to show how?

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I did remove the passenger back rest. I can access the bolt head this way, but the nut is inside the plastic parts that the seat mounts to. Thanks!
    Please remember to stuff the holes with rags. A dropped nut may never be recovered. All those under seat bottomless pits are now filled with bits of foam---- the under seat area stays so much cleaner.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 07-14-2022 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

If the nut is spinning in it's little hole, the edges that are meant to hold it still have been ripped out anyway, so you might just want to force a socket of the right size in there to hold it still while you undo... . I'd be using a little mechanic's mirror on a stick (or if you don't mind the image being a bit smaller, a dentist's mirror?!) to check out what's actually going on first tho; but I've worked on a few Spyders with seat mounting points that no longer stopped the nut from spinning, and they've all succumbed to a Sidchrome Deep Socket.... can't remember which size tho, but it shouldn't be too hard to check if you've got a Spyder handy?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Have you tried a flat screwdriver with the tip between the plastic nut and the mount?
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Have you tried a flat screwdriver with the tip between the plastic nut and the mount?
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!