Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone had their Rear shock leak oil??

Has anyone had their rear shock leak oil? I had the bolt come out on the bottom of the shock and now my shock is leaking oil!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2022 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Revised to briefly state the question in the title. ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

You probably have a blown seal! Have you got a lot of oil coming out or is the shaft just got a light film on it?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is leaking pretty bad. I will have to find a dealer it is under warranty. I am concerned they won't be able to get parts right away. Is it a big job to remove the rear shock?[
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2022 at 06:10 PM. Reason: shosk = shock ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Getting to the bolts are the hardest part, getting the shock, I would not think that would be a big deal! Good luck! The stock shocks in these thinks are not that good in my book, be glad you're under warranty.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

it's a bit off fiddeling with the inside fender, on a f3, but not a 5star job
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    it's a bit off fiddeling with the inside fender, on a f3, but not a 5star job
    Yeah, but it’s a bit of a pain on the new RT, Piratezz. You have to take off the Tupperware both sides, then the internal black panels and floorboards both sides, to remove the shock. It is a tight area. It is not a particularly difficult job, but it takes time and the right tools……

Gerald, I would be concerned about associated damage to the frame mounting plates if only the edge of the bolt is holding the shock in. I personally would be getting the dealer to fix this under warranty. You could do what I did and buy a 3rd party shock if the dealer doesn’t have stock.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What do you mean the bolt came out of the shock??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At the factory they must not have tighten the nut on the lower bolt of the rear shock. The bolt had worked out and the shock was just caught by the tip of the bolt. The shock was twisted in the holder. I jacked the Spyder up and was able to get the bolt back through the shock and had a flat washer, lock washer and nut to tighten it back in place. Everything looked fine except oil leaking from the shock. Now I can just bounce the rear of the Spyder to the bottom with one hand and it sets real low to the ground. The shock has very little oil in it. It is a 2021. I have had it about two months and have 1900 miles on it, so it is in warranty. If it wasn't in warranty, I would purchase a Elka rear shock and replace it myself. I am to take it into a dealer Tuesday (May7th) and they will look at it. What I am afraid of is they will not get parts for a month or so. Things I have heard. If is just a shock and they can't get it I will have them order a Elka shock and I will pay for it.

Has anyone on here replace their rear shock with an Elka, they are about 900.00 dollars? Is there anyone else that makes shocks for Spyder's?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post

Has anyone on here replace their rear shock with an Elka, they are about 900.00 dollars? Is there anyone else that makes shocks for Spyder's?
    Without thinking too hard about it, there are quite a few threads on Elka's here on the Forum, some extolling their virtues, others not so much! . There's also quite a few threads on M2 shocks, generally people are happy with them; and more recently, there's a growing number of people who've found (or possibly been pointed towards... ) IKON shocks. So there's a few different shocks to look at & make yuour choice from if you need to go aftermarket; but I'm with the other's here suggesting that you should take this in for a warranty replacement, and only go aftermarket if/when they can't/won't replace it in a timely manner!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a M2 shock that has been working very well so far.

In fact the compressor is still hooked up but system has no air in it and compressor never cycles anymore. So the shock is doing its job..

First I ever heard of the rear shock bolt backing out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Bolt never broke off. The nut came off and the bolt worked its way out.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I have a M2 shock that has been working very well so far.

In fact the compressor is still hooked up but system has no air in it and compressor never cycles anymore. So the shock is doing its job..

First I ever heard of the rear shock bolt backing out.
    I suppose if they haven’t tightened the lower nut (or have forgotten to put it on at all ), the constant up and down movement could allow the bolt to gradually work its way loose each time it hits the “ no resistance” point , Triker.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I suppose if they haven’t tightened the lower nut (or have forgotten to put it on at all ), the constant up and down movement could allow the bolt to gradually work its way loose each time it hits the “ no resistance” point , Triker.

Pete
    Yes I am sure if the nuts fell off or was never installed it would come out or do some damage to the shock and mount.

This is the first I have ever heard of this happening on a spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes the bolt did work out. I have had it on ramps and rear jacked up so I could get under it and got the bolt in with washes and nut. The lower mount looks okay. Everything looks good except the shock leak all the oil out. I don't think it did any other damage. I have a friend that is hauling it to a dealership in the morning. I think I could ride it but it is pretty soft just the air and spring on the shock is carrying it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

+1 for the M2 Shocks, Replaced my factory shock on my '13 and never needed the airbag after, though kept it inflated to about 40lbs.. Marcus custom tuned our M2 shocks to my (excessive) weight plus my diminutive spouse. He sells rear shocks alone or get a whole set and get a much better ride.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took the Spyder to the dealer and they called me the next day. They said they thought the only thing it needed is a rear shock. When they install it they would check everything. They ordered it, now I hope it don't take a long time getting it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I took the Spyder to the dealer and they called me the next day. They said they thought the only thing it needed is a rear shock. When they install it they would check everything. They ordered it, now I hope it don't take a long time getting it.
    Good to hear, Gerald ….except for the possible wait time on a replacement.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Good to hear, Gerald ….except for the possible wait time on a replacement.

Pete
    If they can't get the shock right away I will pay for after market shock.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I picked up my Spyder yesterday. They said all they had to do was replace the rear shock. I rode it home and noticed it rode really rough. I thought they might have a little to much air in the air bag. Got home and check it and it had 90 lbs of air in it. I let it down to 15 lbs. and rode it. It rode great for about 3 or 4 blocks and back rough again. Took it home and checked it and it had 70 lbs of air in it. I tried again did the same thing. I call the dealer and they told me it could be several things. They said they would come and pick it up and take it back at no charge. I am getting disgusted with it. This is my third Spyder and I had no problems with my first two . I have read on the internet of how many problems other people have had. I don't think I would buy another one.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-23-2022 at 07:54 PM. Reason: discussed - disgusted ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Spyders are complex machines. If they run, they work good, but everything with wheels will break at one point. You are just the Lucky guy who has it happen all at once....
    So when all these glitches are solved, you are going to have a wonderful machine, don't step outta the game for a few glitches! You know you wanna ride the thing.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-23-2022 at 07:56 PM. Reason: ' 's + ;-)
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Once they get your air system dialed in you will be a happy man, until the compressor craps the bed! That whole auto ride system is a pain - when it works, it's nice, when it doesn't... well, I don't have to tell you what that is, you're already there!! Good luck anyway, at least you seem to have a good dealer that wants to work with you and make it right!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-23-2022 at 07:57 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes the dealer is trying. Especially I didn't purchase the bike from them. I think they will get it worked out. I just hope they don't have to order parts again.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't they test it, since all you did was drive it home and you had a issue already. Its not the Spyder its the people working on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Didn't they test it, since all you did was drive it home and you had a issue already. Its not the Spyder its the people working on it.
    No, I don't think anyone rode it. Like I said, I noticed it riding a little rough, but I thought they probably put too much air in the air bag.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-23-2022 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I called the dealer today and they haven't found the compressor problem yet. They replaced the shock but have not found why the compressor keeps pumping up the airbag. They have had it 2 1/2 weeks now. I just wish I had my 2019 back.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS