Spyder Garage

Default Suction pump for 1330 oil change?

Has anyone used a suction pump to draw the oil out of a 1330 during an oil change? I'm wondering if it could be done through the dipstick port.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
    Has anyone used a suction pump to draw the oil out of a 1330 during an oil change? I'm wondering if it could be done through the dipstick port.
    Yes it has been done ....... However it's not recommended by knowledgeable mechanics ..... sometimes easy is not always best .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Do a search on this forum for "Draining oil vs Sucking up oil". Good information on that thread. Not a good idea.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

It doesn't do the job completely and is a waste of time and money.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

People do this kind of thing in boats because trying to get to the drain plug on some inboards are impossible to reach and get the oil out of the bilge of your boat!! But why would you want to do this to your bike, why do this job half ass when you have your motor and transmission are sharing the same fluid? Do the job right and you'll also be able to check other things out in the process! belt tension and wear, sprockets, shifting linkage, ect!! Good luck, your bike you choose!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The main issue with a boat is the engine is a wet sump system, i.e., an oil pan that holds all the oil less that in the filter. The Spyder is a dry sump system wherein the suction tube goes only into the separate but integral oil tank and cannot reach the oil that drains back into the crankcase or the clutch cover.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

If you are happy just changing 2/3's of your oil during an oil change, go for it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    If you are happy just changing 2/3's of your oil during an oil change, go for it.
    You might get 1/2 to 2/3 of the oil out IF you suck it out within minutes of ending a several mile ride. Once you stop the engine the oil drains down into the crankcase from the reservoir on the side of the engine. The dipstick tube goes into the oil tank, not the crankcase. You cannot reach the crankcase through the dipstick tube. Plus, there is a barrier just below the crankshaft so if you could get the suction tube into the crankcase you still cannot get it to the bottom of the crankcase.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You might get 1/2 to 2/3 of the oil out IF you suck it out within minutes of ending a several mile ride. Once you stop the engine the oil drains down into the crankcase from the reservoir on the side of the engine. The dipstick tube goes into the oil tank, not the crankcase. You cannot reach the crankcase through the dipstick tube. Plus, there is a barrier just below the crankshaft so if you could get the suction tube into the crankcase you still cannot get it to the bottom of the crankcase.
    Yep, only a fool or a dealership service guy lets the oil cool before changing.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I use an extractor on two of my cars, but as noted above you can not get the hose down into the crankcase. I tried it one time immediately after a ride and got 3- 4 quarts outs; I did not measure it precisely. Perhaps the use of an extractor depends on your circumstances; if its not convenient to get to a dealer, or you are like some of us and are not capable of draining the oil, etc., 2/3-3/4 fresh oil is better than none.

A full drain and filter change is obviously the best, if you are able.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I did the extraction last change on my F3. Got 4 quarts out of the warm 1330 and the full amount is 5 so I changed 80% of the oil and filter and I only went 3,000 miles in the year prior to the change. All the four stroke SeaDoos I have had you only extract 2 quarts and the engine holds 3 1/2 quarts so you never do a complete oil change on the jet ski. The first few changes I did by the book but I ain't laying on my back any more at my age.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

One more thought..... Doing an oil suction job DOES NOT meet BRP requirements in order to maintain warranty. (I checked when a slick service writer tried to get me to accept this method)...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I ain't laying on my back any more at my age.

~~~~I hear ya Sarge! I’m struggling with advancing age & I have an idea I’m younger than you. Turned 65 this past November. When I did the 1st oil change on my 2021 Spyder RT recently (month ago?) I was cursing (under my breath) having to get down on the garage floor to remove the oil in this beast, not that Cretin Girl is the only motor on our farm where I have to do this (get on the ground to remove motor oil) but Cretin Girl is the first motorcycle I’ve had to lie on pavement, in a long time. When I turned 40, Mrs. Jake purchased a
    Handy Lift brand hydraulic lift for me on a birthday IIRC, so I could ride my motorcycle up the ramp then use compressed air to lift the whole shebang, just so I didn’t;t have to lie on the ground any longer when servicing any of the bikes & scooters I owned at the time. I still have the lift but I haven’t used it in a while, despite the fact I own and ride two other (two wheeled) motor scooters presently. If I’m not mistaken, Handy Lift offers wings that can be added, one on each side of this air operated hydraulic lift. With a little luck, the wings just might add enough width so this lift can raise my Spyder (Cretin Girl). I’m not certain this can be done but, I do have fingers on both hands crossed so that perhaps by the time the next oil change is required for Cretin Girl, I’ll be able to run her up on the lift

As to the OP & his desire to use a suction device to remove oil, I recall purchasing several small displacement 4 stroke motors outfitted in various contraptions to make life easier on our farm. The last such motor propelled a vacuum on wheels used to suck up leaves. The brand name of this leaf vacuum is Billy Goat and it actually works quite well but, the motor and this rig was sold after the last administration that decided they would legislate any motors used on garden type devices, would no longer utilize a drain plug on the bottom of the crankcase. This idiotic idea came about so as to cut down on oil leakage into the ground water. Yes, supposedly we are so stupid that we can’t be trusted to tighten an oil drain plug so the powers that be eliminated the drain plug, forcing the removal of the crankcase oil through the same orifice used to fill the crankcase. And if this exercise wasn’t idiotic enough, the public is told to use a crankcase suction device (like the one you are considering using to remove oil on a 1330 Can Am motor) to accomplish oil removal. Up to this point, I have refused to use a suction device for that purpose, rather i have simply run the fuel tank dry and with the motor hot, flipped the entire machines upside down to let the crankcase oil drain through the oil fill opening. Gravity works well in these situations though I don't advise following suit with your Spyder or F3

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not Recommended

Quote Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
    Not with my Spyder. Remove the Oil Drain Plugs is the only way to go.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The main issue with a boat is the engine is a wet sump system, i.e., an oil pan that holds all the oil less that in the filter. The Spyder is a dry sump system wherein the suction tube goes only into the separate but integral oil tank and cannot reach the oil that drains back into the crankcase or the clutch cover.
    I think we said the same thing, it's not a good idea!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

HEY CLOCKER,
    Make sure that you have the GOLD PLUG replacements in hand before you start (MP-01 & MP-18)
    https://goldplug.com/shop/mp01/ https://goldplug.com/?s=MP-18

As you're sitting on your Spyder the MP-01 is on the right side and the MP-18 is on your left side

Way better than the OEM plugs

T.P.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2022 at 06:47 PM. Reason: then, relating to a time past or future - than, used with/in comparisons ;-)

Spyder Garage

I just drive the front up on car ramps to change the oil. Easy peasey. Easier than my Ski Doo 1200 Rotax 4 stroke sleds with a dry sump motor and my HD on a center on frame bike jack.
    Getting up and down from the floor is another story, at 67 I'm getting slower and making those ''noises'' getting up LOL
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cravenfun View Post
    I just drive the front up on car ramps to change the oil. Easy peasey. Easier than my Ski Doo 1200 Rotax 4 stroke sleds with a dry sump motor and my HD on a center on frame bike jack.
    Getting up and down from the floor is another story, at 67 I'm getting slower and making those ''noises'' getting up LOL
    Still means you need to get down to the floor, even if not 'on' the floor. We often do make light of the problem of getting up and down, but you know, it really is not a laughing matter.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I totally agree. I just don’t do it anymore. I leave it to the 50 y/o youngsters!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper