Spyder Garage

Default Is Windshield mounting on 2021 RT Ltd the same as 2017 RT?

Hello, are the mounting points on a 2021 RTL different from a 2017 RTL? Looking at a 7Jurock shield, but web site only lists the ones for the 2017 RTL! Have a call into them, waiting, so thought I’d ask on the site. Thanks
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Spyder Garage

Same mounting.

Spyder Garage

Yes the same but the holes are different size so it will require different grommets and the vents are lower.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

FrogmanDave; have you changed your windshield? If so, where did you find the right size grommets?
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    FrogmanDave; have you changed your windshield? If so, where did you find the right size grommets?
    Yes. I bought a 7Jurock here on the forum. I have a box of grommets I got at Harbor freight or Amazon in the garage. Some guys just use plastic washers from any hardware store. It won't be hard to come up with something to make it work.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information. 7Jurock we’re great to deal with, they took the extra effort and are sending me a drawing/measurement of the mounting holes. Great price on a 27 inch shield, 2 inches wider (each side) medium tint and a flip at the top to help with the wind at highway speeds. I was told by 7Jurock that it has the same vent holes as original cut into the front. And since I had bought a windshield from them before, got an additional 15% discount! Look forward to the new shield.
    Last edited by Don60; 06-05-2022 at 12:32 PM.
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

I was able to transfer our windshields from a 2019 RT and a 2016 RT to our new 21 RT's with perfect match mounting. We both had Freedom shields from LaMonster that we wanted on our new 21 RT's
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Yes. I bought a 7Jurock here on the forum. I have a box of grommets I got at Harbor freight or Amazon in the garage. Some guys just use plastic washers from any hardware store. It won't be hard to come up with something to make it work.
    Dave, what height screen did you get from 7jurock? I’m curious whether they have cutouts in the screen like the OEM ‘20+ screens to reduce back pressure. Do you have any photos? I have to ensure I get this right first time, as shipping costs to Oz are incredibly high at present, but my new 2” taller Daylong seat has lifted me into a severe head buffeting scenario using the OEM screen.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Dave, what height screen did you get from 7jurock? I’m curious whether they have cutouts in the screen like the OEM ‘20+ screens to reduce back pressure. Do you have any photos? I have to ensure I get this right first time, as shipping costs to Oz are incredibly high at present, but my new 2” taller Daylong seat has lifted me into a severe head buffeting scenario using the OEM screen.

Pete
    Pete,

I bought my shield off this site used. It is 21" tall and has the lip at the top. I have not actually installed it yet so no pictures. I just held it up to be sure the holes would line up and to check size. It does have cut outs in it. What is weird is, if you reach up under your shield (or just look through the dark shade at the bottom) you will feel cutouts in the aluminum mounting bracket which is where the cutouts were on the pre 2020's. Apparently BRP used the same brackets on the 2020+ as the pre 2020's but moved the cutouts up. I can't tell you how this may affect buffeting but I am unconcerned about it for now. Most of my riding is solo. I wanted a shorter shield I could see over better (knowing I could raise it in inclement weather) and know the top lip will direct air flow up and over better. I guess it is about 4" wider in total but haven't actually measured it. Any extra width will help but I find the factory shield to be sufficient as far as that goes. To be perfectly honest I bought this shield before I even had my Spyder. I got a good deal on it and figured I'd give it a try. Like I said, I wanted a shorter shield with a top lip. I have run similar shields on other motorcycles with good results in the past.

Dave

Spyder Garage

Update on 27 inch 7Jurock windshield. Removed original shield, just had t30 screws with rubber washers. Had to add some 3/8 X 9.5mm grommets to the new shield before installing. (Thanks FrogManDave for heads up) Have not had the chance to drive it out on highway yet, but maybe tomorrow! Would post picture, but not smart enough to figure that out! Shield fits and looks great! Great customer service and product at 7Jurock! Had the shield within a week. Half the price of other shields!
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

Update on 27 inch 7Jurock windshield. Removed original shield, just had t30 screws with rubber washers. Had to add some 3/8 X 9.5mm grommets to the new shield before installing. (Thanks FrogManDave for heads up) Have not had the chance to drive it out on highway yet, but maybe tomorrow! Would post picture, but not smart enough to figure that out! Shield fits and looks great! Great customer service and product at 7Jurock! Had the shield within a week. Half the price of other shields!
    Don, does your 27” shield have the two cutouts to reduce buffeting just under halfway up the screen?. I really need to make sure of that before I buy, as it makes a huge difference to buffeting reduction.
    I did ask 7jurock via email, and their response was that I needed to make sure I had the OEM mounting hardware to ensure I could mount their screens. That was obviously a “form” response and was absolutely useless to me.

Regards,
    Pere
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, has the two cut outs at bottom just like original. You will need some rubber grommets to fill the mounting holes on new shield. I used 3/8 X 9.5mm. I ordered 27 inch high, two inches wider on each side with a “flip” at the top, medium tint. I have the same bike you do, So you should have no problem. F4 shields are over $400.00, 7Jurock is half that! Not sure on your cost there! Good luck.
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

Yes, has the two cut outs at bottom just like original.
    Pete,

To add to what Don said, here is a quote from my previous post. To be clear I am referring to the stock shield that is currently on your Spyder.

If you reach up under your shield (or just look through the dark shade at the bottom) you will feel cutouts in the aluminum mounting bracket which is where the cutouts were on the pre 2020's. Apparently BRP used the same brackets on the 2020+ as the pre 2020's but moved the cutouts up.

Spyder Garage

Yes, has the two cut outs at bottom just like original. You will need some rubber grommets to fill the mounting holes on new shield. I used 3/8 X 9.5mm. I ordered 27 inch high, two inches wider on each side with a “flip” at the top, medium tint. I have the same bike you do, So you should have no problem. F4 shields are over $400.00, 7Jurock is half that! Not sure on your cost there! Good luck.
    Could you maybe post a pic of the bike with the new shield?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Could you maybe post a pic of the bike with the new shield?
    K80, this picture isn't the same height shield but should give you an idea of what you are wanting. This picture is of the 21" version taken by WilcoJunoHotel of his bike with the shield I bought from him. Top picture in his thread. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...hlight=7jurock

Spyder Garage

Pete,

To add to what Don said, here is a quote from my previous post. To be clear I am referring to the stock shield that is currently on your Spyder.
    Thanks Dave and Don…..the reason I have asked this question again, is because the stock ‘20+ RT has cutouts halfway up the screen, see photo below. The answers I am getting appear to be relating to holes at the very bottom of the screen. Having looked at the photo you posted for K80, Dave, those extra vents halfway up the screen (about 4” above the top of the mirrors) are not there on the 7Jurock. They are key for me. I have tried riding with those stock holes taped over, and the buffeting behind the screen has increased significantly, which is why I am being so pedantic.
    2828E926-022D-4B63-889F-4F9CED52875F.jpg

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 06-15-2022 at 09:20 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Thanks Dave and Don…..the reason I have asked this question again, is because the stock ‘20+ RT has cutouts halfway up the screen, see photo below. The answers I am getting appear to be relating to holes at the very bottom of the screen. Having looked at the photo you posted for K80, Dave, those extra vents halfway up the screen (about 4” above the top of the mirrors) are not there on the 7Jurock. They are key for me. I have tried riding with those stock holes taped over, and the buffeting behind the screen has increased significantly, which Is why I am behing pedantic.
    2828E926-022D-4B63-889F-4F9CED52875F.jpg

Pete
    The cutouts you are referring to Pete are up higher on the 2020+. Like you say, about 4" above the mirrors. The 7Jurock shield does have similar cutouts, but they are lower. They are placed where the aluminum mount bracket on your bike has holes in it. They are designed to prevent buffeting and backflow toward your back. How effective they are or aren't based on where they are placed I can't answer as to the effectiveness since I haven't installed my shield yet. I would think the higher placement must be an improvement on the 2020+'s because BRP did it that way. I can tell you cutouts make a big difference as to turbulence behind the shield. Some I have ridden are better than others. That's all I know. Hopefully someone who has actually mounted the 7Jurock with lower cutouts will chime in here.

Spyder Garage

Thanks FrogmanDave for the link with pics.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Ahhhhh. Thanks Dave, that confirms it. I have an F4 screen from my F3-L that I have “reholed” to sit like a 27”, just for testing. It has the centre Goldwing vent, but I can notice no difference between the vent open and closed in regard to behind the screen turbulence. It is certainly more turbulent than the 25” stock screen. I’m going to remove the vent completely, just for comparison sake….

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Ok, took Spyder out today with new 27 inch shield with the lower vents that FrogmanDave described. The original 25 inch shield had the vents higher in the shield, but found that the lower vents did the same job, no turbulence behind the shield! Rode a variety of roads, highway speeds (75mph) and side roads (55mph) facing the wind and with wind at my back. Road about 150 miles and Shield worked great in each situation. Pete, I hope that this helps with your decision.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-15-2022 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Road - Rode.... bleedin autocorrect! ;-/
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much Don, that’s brilliant .
    But it begs the question - why the heck did BRP change the positioning if it already works a treat? Just to keep us guessing, I suppose …..for as we all know - “BRP works in mysterious ways”

Now, if 7Jurock will respond to my question on shipping cost to Aus, they will probably have an order.

Just by way of general info……the 27” F4 screen produced a bit of buffeting whether the Goldwing vent was in the open or closed position, but once I removed the vent completely, the buffeting disappeared……and the F4 opening is in roughly the same place as the new RT vents. Like the OEM ‘21 RT screen, you can feel the air coming through the opening(s) up at a 45 degree angle, but the air dissipates by the time it is about a foot in front of your eyes.

Thanks again,
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.