Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    1. Governments around the World want to force manufactures to produce EV's and for you to drive them.
    2. EV's were languishing on the shelf because people (with freedom to choose) did not want them.
    3. Governments shut off a huge majority of petroleum resources. (Artificially limiting this option)
    4. Price of petroleum products shoots up. (Econ 101)
    5. EV's and Hybrids are now selling like hotcakes.
    6. Mission accomplished.
    I would agree, except that there's no infrastructure yet for EVs, so people like me who would like to be able to exercise our right to choose EVs still cannot do so.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2022 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    First of all I'm 70, but not brain dead yet.
    every one seems to forget, most electricity comes from col and Nat'l Gas fired plants. There are very few water Hydro electric plants like Niagara, Tenn. Valley Auth, various dams. Windmills let down Texas last year. Nuke Plant seemingly can't be run properly without retired USN Personnel. Break downs and leaks don't often happen on USN ships.

Wake up Washington....electric for the majority of cars is usually made by coal/gas fired plants, not windmills. Electric cars cost way more that their gasoline competitors. No one poor or on Social Security can dream of affording one. And replacing batteries every 2 years is 2-3 grand.

I have a 2012 Mustang, paid for, love it. Rarely drive it these days as it only gets 20-21 mpg in city. My Spyder gets 30-31 in city. As an old widower living alone, I use the 4 cargo bays for weekly grocery runs and visits to various doctors (Main Md, heart, kidney, vascular, DDS, ENT,). When offered a multi bike ride thru country side, I use to say YES 90% of the time...now it's looking at the distance, looking at the bank account, looking at the wallet, looking at the charge card, FIRST.
    I'm 75 and a former USN nuclear power plant operator. The biggest mistake we ever made as a country in the clean energy generation equation was abandoning nuclear power as a solution. Ironic that the ones crying the loudest about our over-reliance on dirty fossil fuels are the same ones who shut down the nuclear power industry as unsafe and detrimental to the environment (remember the nuclear powered commercial ship 'Savannah'? )

There's enough blame to go around for the current sad state of affairs with the environment and global warming. But assigning blame doesnt solve anything. How do we fix it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    1. Governments around the World want to force manufactures to produce EV's and for you to drive them.
    2. EV's were languishing on the shelf because people (with freedom to choose) did not want them.
    3. Governments shut off a huge majority of petroleum resources. (Artificially limiting this option)
    4. Price of petroleum products shoots up. (Econ 101)
    5. EV's and Hybrids are now selling like hotcakes.
    6. Mission accomplished.
    I hate being a "subject" of the government, but we are. I'm keeping my poor, old, slow V-Max and my poor, old, slow Magnum R/T till they" take them out of my cold dead hands".
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I would agree, except that there's no infrastructure yet for EVs, so people like me who would like to be able to exercise our right to choose EVs still cannot do so.
    You mean something like this?

https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

I wonder if the connector is the same for all EV's?

There are a number of them at area malls. Just never seen a vehicle connected.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

It seem to happen Often, however the charging plugs / receptacles maybe an industry Standard size / shape etc...... If not there is going to be heck of an issue .... I do realize there are a couple of different amounts of POWER that can be used for the power .... I'm not familiar enough to say fore sure how that is done .... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I understand it, Tesla is taking the proprietary approach to its products. Much like Apple has always done. Their charging station network is only available in limited, densely populated areas and along major freeways. And, they're unique to Tesla's cars (I believe; this marketplace is constantly evolving, just like personal computers and cell phones back in the day)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I hate being a "subject" of the government, but we are. I'm keeping my poor, old, slow V-Max and my poor, old, slow Magnum R/T till they" take them out of my cold dead hands".
    'Know your place, knave, or I'll have ye drawn and quartered"
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It seem to happen Often, however the charging plugs / receptacles maybe an industry Standard size / shape etc...... If not there is going to be heck of an issue .... I do realize there are a couple of different amounts of POWER that can be used for the power .... I'm not familiar enough to say fore sure how that is done .... JMHO .... Mike
    I think you're on to something, Mike. Currently there doesn't seem to be a universal standard in the fast charging stations. Tesla's network can't be used by non-Tesla EVs, so those EVs are limited in range to within some radius of the owner's home, with overnight charging. Long-haul trucks are currently out of the question without a nationwide network of fast charging stations.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think you're on to something, Mike. Currently there doesn't seem to be a universal standard in the fast charging stations. Tesla's network can't be used by non-Tesla EVs, so those EVs are limited in range to within some radius of the owner's home, with overnight charging. Long-haul trucks are currently out of the question without a nationwide network of fast charging stations.
    Would you believe the connection for charging is the same for Tesla and non-Tesla vehicles? If you want to know more, read this:

https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

What bothers me is, why not have the U.S. as one of the test markets? Do you think now that your statement in bold is incorrect?
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-02-2022 at 07:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe they just need to put the bunny on steroids
    https://images.app.goo.gl/A8hauzHsnziH38nf7
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would you believe the connection for charging is the same for Tesla and non-Tesla vehicles? If you want to know more, read this:

https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

Do you think now that your statement in bold is incorrect?
    No, I think not...just confirms what I said, I think...

Where is the pilot currently live?
    The Non-Tesla Supercharger pilot is currently available for Supercharging stations in the following countries:

France
    The Netherlands
    Norway
    UK
    Spain
    Sweden
    Belgium
    Austria
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-02-2022 at 07:16 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

There's a lot of misinformation out there regarding EV's and hybrids, i.e. true range, battery life, charging availability, etc. Consider the source of the information because many espouse only what supports their agenda.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hut1 View Post
    There's a lot of misinformation out there regarding EV's and hybrids, i.e. true range, battery life, charging availability, etc. Consider the source of the information because many espouse only what supports their agenda.
    I don't understand why there would be private agendas at all. This is a very public issue.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

No, I think not...just confirms what I said, I think...

Where is the pilot currently live?
    The Non-Tesla Supercharger pilot is currently available for Supercharging stations in the following countries:

France
    The Netherlands
    Norway
    UK
    Spain
    Sweden
    Belgium
    Austria
    You read the article? Can you point out where it states the charging connection is different? I see where it requires an App to be compatible with non-Tesla vehicles, in the countries you listed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You read the article? Can you point out where it states the charging connection is different? I see where it requires an App to be compatible with non-Tesla vehicles, in the countries you listed.
    It doesn't talk about the connections at all that I can see. There's more to universality than the connections.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ev ? ? ?

.... I am Hoping for a Better Solution to the ICE vs EV vehicles. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    .... I am Hoping for a Better Solution to the ICE vs EV vehicles. .....
    I agree. Hydrogen fuel cells look promising.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It doesn't talk about the connections at all that I can see. There's more to universality than the connections.
    You are correct. The other article I read mentioned a second cable in the test areas.

Spyder Garage

I don't understand why there would be private agendas at all. This is a very public issue.
    I was talking more about various industry groups and lobbyists than individuals. Full disclosure: I drive a Tesla (and ICE vehicles), and believe in the future of EV's. However, I recognize the "current" limitations, and support the continued development of the necessary infrastructure to make them more viable. I also support the exploration and development of other sources of energy to supplement electric and fossil fuel vehicles. I also advocate for an expanded passenger rail system.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

That's nice. Now, what are we going to do about it?
    Educate the masses that the climate is being used as a fear, reaction, solution scam to grab power by a bunch of misfits. Anyone swallowing the bait is unwittingly hastening their own freedom losses. Need proof, study Klaus Schwabs plans for humanity, it doesn't involve driving an electric car.How dare he!
    18b454df8a218d9bf3acb1181576e2f9.jpg
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Educate the masses that the climate is being used as a fear, reaction, solution scam to grab power by a bunch of misfits. Anyone swallowing the bait is unwittingly hastening their own freedom losses. Need proof, study Klaus Schwabs plans for humanity, it doesn't involve driving an electric car.How dare he!
    The masses do not want to be educated beause in their minds, the information has already been disseminated and is all that is needed to know. Education after this comes from being inconvenienced. Brown outs, not being able to use electrcity at certain times of the day, air conditioning bans and such is the only way to change this mindset.

Took this clip from an email I read about the UK: "In particular, the latest UK chargers will be pre-set to not function during 9-hours of peak loads, from 8 am to 11 am (3-hours), and 4 pm to 10 pm (6-hours). Unbelievably, the UK technology decides when and if an EV can be charged, and even allows EV batteries to be drained into the UK grid if required. Imagine charging your car all night only to discover in the morning that your battery is flat since the state took the power back. Better keep your gas-powered car as a reliable and immediately available backup! While EV charging will be an attractive source of revenue generation for the government, American citizens will be up in arms."

This is not far fetched. Ontario has smart power meters controlled by Hydro 1. These power meters are programmed for peak loads during the day and non-peak loads from 1900 to approximately 0600 hours Monday to Friday. Weekends and holidays are at the non-peak load rates. The above UK issue is already here, just not every province/state is using these yet. I surmise that Hydro 1 is monitoring this situatio carefully.

I realize there are differences between the US and Canada power generation and how costs are recouped; however, Canada is slowly migrating to the US model, Ontario is a good example of this when the provincial government privatized Ontario Hydro and only kept a 49% share in the new company thinking it would be able to maintain control. The hue and cry regarding this privatization has now died down to the suck it up as there is nothing you can do to reverse the issue scenario. The government does not care.

In the US, the power generating industry has a financial model that is designed to make money for the share holders. When this financial model is being impacted, there will be a significant lobby effort to the powers to be to have change, and the change will be to benefit the power utilities, not the genral public.

This happened in the US private renewable energy sector a few years back. The private renewable energy sector started to broach 1% power generation of the power being generated in the US. The utilities were starting to feel the impact of this greener technology. Utility companies lobbied the powers to be and had legislation passed that limited private renewable energy projects. Utility companies are not part of this legislation when it is enacted and are able to install renewable energy projects as it sees fit.

Tesla charging stations are popping up across Canada as well. You do need an adaptor if you do not have a Tesla, understand this to be true in the US as well. There will never be a standardized charging plug. It will be the same as seatbelts that were to be standardized many years ago, it's close but no cigar. The USB - micro USB connectors, iPhone connectors, and such. Unless it is a government controlled issue, standardization is a myth.

Just a few thoughts from north of the border.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Freedom isn't going to mean what it used to when we're all dying off from heat, hunger, drought, and pollution.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-03-2022 at 11:27 PM. Reason: ...t,' 'a... ;-)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

'Know your place, knave, or I'll have ye drawn and quartered"
    Then be prepared for the fight of your life.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Freedom isn't going to mean what it used to when we're all dying off from heat, hunger, drought and pollution.
    Or plandemics, geo engineering, chemtrails, and great resets.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-03-2022 at 11:26 PM. Reason: ,' 's ;-)
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Freedom isn't going to mean what it used to when we're all dying off from heat, hunger, drought, and pollution.
    Well ... Freedom already doesn't mean what it used to , and it has nothing to do with heat, hunger, drought and or pollution ..... JMHO .... Mike