Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Electric vehicles and the Grid

What am I missing ? Just read a couple of recent articles, the first subject is basically how we should be switching to electric vehicles and their advantages (I know not immediately).
    The second is how (supposedly due to climate change and or global warming) we will not have enough electricity for the summer during hot times and to expect brown outs and rolling black outs for many. They claim they have not figured this topic into their planning and it is a reason we will be short electricity during high demand times. Probably has nothing to do with taking profits and not reinvesting in the infrastructure.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    What am I missing ? Just read a couple of recent articles, the first subject is basically how we should be switching to electric vehicles and their advantages (I know not immediately).
    The second is how (supposedly due to climate change and or global warming) we will not have enough electricity for the summer during hot times and to expect brown outs and rolling black outs for many. They claim they have not figured this topic into their planning and it is a reason we will be short electricity during high demand times. Probably has nothing to do with taking profits and not reinvesting in the infrastructure.

WOW .... I'm glad someone else besides me gets this FACT......The Sad thing is ... THEY DON'T CARE "......Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-01-2022 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Removed additional/superfluous size cmd ;-)

Spyder Garage

I'm with ya!!!!! One of the (other) absolutely senseless ideas this country is adopting.

People need to ask: a) if EV's are so good, why aren't UPS, FedEx & Amazon using them (their collective fuel consumptiom has to be off the scale!), b) why should we (the US) be reliant on an energy source that can be taken out by a lightening bolt, solar flare, or EPM weapons, c) what is the REAL cost to the environment, and d) why can't the EU sanction Russian oil (hint, cuz they turned green).

P.S. Apologies to the Moderators if I got political; I'll take my whuppin' with my flag in my left hand and the other across my heart.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

There have been a number of articles published by reputable sources about how the grid infrastructure is not equipped to handle the requirement for new charging systems. The requirement also trickles down to individual residences. If one wants/needs a fast, heavy duty charging system, say for two or more vehicles, that requires 440V power to the home. In the case of casa de Bros that would require a major expense, completely new circuit breaker system and my whole house backup generator system would not be able to support it. From what I read, current residential charging systems at 220V means the vehicles are always in charging mode.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

At today's gas prices, it costs me over 25 cents per mile to drive my car. That is just for fuel. Nothing else taken into consideration. My electric golf cart cost me 3.5 cents per mile in electrical recharging costs. Guess which vehicle I am transitioning to for short grocery store runs???? I feel fortunate that no special electrical upgrades are required to keep my little golf cart fully charged. I could not effectively maintain a larger EV with the electrical service currently at my house..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

You folks are right on. I have alluded to this many times when discussing new electric vehicles. It is amazing to me how no one "in the know" or those pushing for the changeover has even mentioned this in public.

Looks like we have just pressed the accelerator on our trip to "heck" in a handbasket.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    You folks are right on. I have alluded to this many times when discussing new electric vehicles. It is amazing to me how no one "in the know" or those pushing for the changeover has even mentioned this in public.

Looks like we have just pressed the accelerator on our trip to "heck" in a handbasket.
    Toyota had it right with its hybrid model and would have been a bit better pill to swallow than the all EV push.
    21 Spyder base F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Toyota had it right with its hybrid model and would have been a bit better pill to swallow than the all EV push.
    There are already several hybrids available. The drawback with all of them is that you still need a fully-functioning ICE and drive-train onboard; that adds to the cost and complexity. It also limits the power it can produce to the wimpy backup engine. Because of space limitations, the batteries are smaller, as are the electric motors. Consumers, by and large, have not embraced this technology, particularly for performance vehicles, trucks, towing, etc.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Globalists never tire of trying to rule our lives with their power grabbing bs. Here's the facts;

Shipping is by far the biggest transport polluter in the world. There are 760 million cars in the world today emitting approx 78,599 tons of Sulphur Oxides (SOx) annually. The world's 90,000 vessels burn approx 370 million tons of fuel per year emitting 20 million tons of Sulphur Oxides. That equates to 260 times more Sulphur Oxides being emitted by ships than the worlds entire car fleet. One large ship alone can generate approx 5,200 tonnes of sulphur oxide pollution in a year, meaning that 15 of the largest ships now emit as much SOx as the worlds 760 million cars.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, have you ever owned a Prius, it seems to work for me & has since 2003. Different strokes for different folks, so say what you will about the Toyota Prius Hybrid with 'no plug in'. Still getting 60 mpg, 87 octane, so beat up on it if you want, I don't care, I'm not selling anything.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2022 at 09:27 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Default electric

First of all I'm 70, but not brain dead yet.
    Everyone seems to forget, most electricity comes from coal and Nat'l Gas fired plants. There are very few water Hydro electric plants like Niagara, Tenn. Valley Auth, various dams. Windmills let down Texas last year. Nuke Plants seemingly can't be run properly without retired USN Personnel. Break downs and leaks don't often happen on USN ships.

Wake up Washington.... electric for the majority of cars is usually made by coal/gas fired plants, not windmills. Electric cars cost way more that their gasoline competitors. No one poor or on Social Security can dream of affording one. And replacing batteries every 2 years is 2-3 grand.

I have a 2012 Mustang, paid for, love it. Rarely drive it these days as it only gets 20-21 mpg in city. My Spyder gets 30-31 in city. As an old widower living alone, I use the 4 cargo bays for weekly grocery runs and visits to various doctors (Main Md, heart, kidney, vascular, DDS, ENT,). When offered a multi bike ride thru country side, I use to say YES 90% of the time...now it's looking at the distance, looking at the bank account, looking at the wallet, looking at the charge card, FIRST.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2022 at 09:29 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post
    I'm with ya!!!!! One of the (other) absolutely senseless ideas this country is adopting.

People need to ask: a) if EV's are so good, why aren't UPS, FedEx & Amazon using them (their collective fuel consumptiom has to be off the scale!), b) why should we (the US) be reliant on an energy source that can be taken out by a lightening bolt, solar flare, or EPM weapons, c) what is the REAL cost to the environment, and d) why can't the EU sanction Russian oil (hint, cuz they turned green).

P.S. Apologies to the Moderators if I got political; I'll take my whuppin' with my flag in my left hand and the other across my heart.
    They are using them, just not their whole fleets use them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2022 at 09:30 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

I would add my 2 cents here. But if I said what I wanted, I'd probably get banned! And, knowing the rules, probably for good reason. But I will say that America was built on independence, self reliance and Liberty. As we trade these values for promises of security and handouts from the Government. We will lose much more than our greatness.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Pete, have you ever owned a Prius, it seems to work for me since 2003. Different strokes for different folks, so say what you will about the Toyota Prius Hybrid with 'no plug in'. Still getting 60 mpg, 87 octane, so beat up on it if you want, I don't care,I'm not selling anything.

I was actually looking at the Toyota RAV4 hybrid. It had better 0-60 times than it's sister or brother (depending on how you look at it) RAV4's. Its 0-60 times reached into the 6's; that was in regards to what Utah said about power. The problem was, although its sticker price was quite a bit lower than the Jeep Cherokee I leased, the monthly payment was much higher. I regret not getting it now b/c of the current gas prices.

Utah,

I do realize there are cars that get into the 4's and 5's.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-02-2022 at 07:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would add my 2 cents here. But if I said what I wanted, I'd probably get banned! And, knowing the rules, probably for good reason. But I will say that America was built on independence, self reliance and Liberty. As we trade these values for promises of security and handouts from the Government. We will lose much more than our greatness.
    I got my hand out, but have yet to receive. That is what you were talking about isn't it?

Baja,

How did you do that trick? I think you just did a switcharoo.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-02-2022 at 07:51 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good one BahaRon, most of us here have, at least I think so, have the same thoughts, just can't express them!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, have you ever owned a Prius, it seems to work for me since 2003. Different strokes for different folks, so say what you will about the Toyota Prius Hybrid with 'no plug in'. Still getting 60 mpg, 87 octane, so beat up on it if you want, I don't care, I'm not selling anything.
    I wasn't denigrating the Prius. At all.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2022 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Globalists never tire of trying to rule our lives with their power grabbing bs. Here's the facts;

Shipping is by far the biggest transport polluter in the world. There are 760 million cars in the world today emitting approx 78,599 tons of Sulphur Oxides (SOx) annually. The world's 90,000 vessels burn approx 370 million tons of fuel per year emitting 20 million tons of Sulphur Oxides. That equates to 260 times more Sulphur Oxides being emitted by ships than the worlds entire car fleet. One large ship alone can generate approx 5,200 tonnes of sulphur oxide pollution in a year, meaning that 15 of the largest ships now emit as much SOx as the worlds 760 million cars.
    That's nice. Now, what are we going to do about it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I was actually looking at the Toyota RAV4 hybrid. It had better 0-60 times than it's sister or brother (depending on how you look at it) RAV4's. Its 0-60 times reached into the 6's; that was in regards to what Utah said about power. The problem was, although its sticker price was quite a bit lower than the Jeep Cherokee I leased, the monthly payment was much higher. I regret not getting it now b/c of the current gas prices.

Utah, I do realize there are cars that get into the 4's and 5's.
    I was speaking in terms of markets, not individual vehicles.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I agree, Ron. I'm not sure how it relates to electric vehicles though.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, just referring to your comment #8, nothing more nothing less. I read it as throwing shade at hybrids, if not, then we are done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, just referring to your comment #8, nothing more nothing less. I read it as throwing shade at hybrids, if not, then we are done.
    No, actually I have been looking long and hard at hybrids, but they just don't meet my needs. So, for now I'll stick with our one vehicle (4-cyl diesel Canyon) and the Spyders.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-02-2022 at 08:38 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I agree, Ron. I'm not sure how it relates to electric vehicles though.
    1. Governments around the World want to force manufactures to produce EV's and for you to drive them.
    2. EV's were languishing on the shelf because people (with freedom to choose) did not want them.
    3. Governments shut off a huge majority of petroleum resources. (Artificially limiting this option)
    4. Price of petroleum products shoots up. (Econ 101)
    5. EV's and Hybrids are now selling like hotcakes.
    6. Mission accomplished.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2022 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Revised political comment
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good one BahaRon, most of us here have, at least I think so, have the same thoughts, just can't express them!
    X's 100 ...... Mike