Spyder Garage

Default What are the Zumo XT's capabilities?

Well, my Zumo 396 battery took a crap, and finding a replacement that's reliable seems a little sketchy.... Soooo, I treated myself to a Zumo XT. I'm curious if anyone has ever loaded one with music to be able to listen to navigation prompts and music together from one device to a helmet or earbuds? I've used the MyRoute Navigation and listened to SXM simultaneously on my phone, but I like the idea of having the larger screen and the other benefits of a stand-alone GPS. I know a lot of you have the XT... so why not ask the gurus here?

Rick
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-31-2022 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Title clarification to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Try reading your owner's manual; start at pg. 46
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What “other benefits” does the Garmin have over a smartphone?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Off the top - can ride with it in the rain, can play music from Iphone or SD card, can download aerial view of locations onto SD card, can alert to low fuel, indications like elevation, trip time and distance, the list goes on. I bought mine a few months ago and I have a base F3, so minimal info on the speedo display. I have an Iphone 12, and it is not recommended to ride with phone on handlebars, otherwise risk to phone camera. I am pleased with my purchase.

Rick
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
    Off the top - can ride with it in the rain, can play music from Iphone or SD card, can download aerial view of locations onto SD card, can alert to low fuel, indications like elevation, trip time and distance, the list goes on. I bought mine a few months ago and I have a base F3, so minimal info on the speedo display. I have an Iphone 12, and it is not recommended to ride with phone on handlebars, otherwise risk to phone camera. I am pleased with my purchase.

Rick
    Its also designed to have the screen on full brightness all day. Try keeping a cell phone plugged in, charged, with screen on full brightness and see how quick it fries an egg at the end of the day.

2012 Spyder RT Limited in Lava Bronze Metallic
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My phone does all that and more. It’s t waterproof, music, GPS, - track, satellite view, 2 different Offline GPS apps that work in dash, another Offline GPS app if I need it (TomTom). Tire pressure warning, phone calls, look up info etc etc. I have a gas gauge to tell me I’m running low.

Can mount phone to top of dash or use it in the dash. The joystick makes manipulating it a breeze. Way easier than trying to touch the screen. Won’t get caught distracted driving either.

My point is why spend extra $$$ on something when you have one in your pocket.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Larger screen, better visibility, weather resistance, fewer steps between functions, hard-wired for power to name a few.... I agree, a good smartphone does most of this, but I prefer a stand-alone GPS.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

MOTORCYCLE GPS is purpose-built for the task. It's weatherproof, glove-friendly, and durable and doesn't get shaken to death.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I keep reading “weather proof”. Smartphones are waterproof. The GPS apps work the same way as the Garmin. Too many excuses and not one that says “because I know how to use it and haven’t figured out the new tech yet.” Many gloves have touch sensitive tips. The newer Spyder models have the joystick which is way easier to manipulate things compared to trying to touch the screen. Just takes getting used to it. Much cheaper too!
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Phone vs Garmin.

Firstly background, I'm a Technical Director so do know how to use tech as its my bread and butter.

Modern phones are great all round devices and I use both of mine all the time - iPhone 13 (work) Samsung S22 (not-work:-)) . However the key is in the 'all round' part, its a jack of all trades but a master of none.

I use my iPhone for nav in my ute (pickup) as it has wireless Apple Play and a wireless charger (I don't like connecting cables:-)). It connects the the dashboard screen and has voice control so simple to use and normally I just want to find some somewhere I've not been to before.

I've also used my previous Samsung and iPhones on the Spyder but they lack the useability I wanted. If I was just doing the same single address navigation I would probably stick with a phone. But instead I want to plan complex routes with multiple checkpoints and shape the route onto preferred, normally bendy, roads etc. I also what something that I can use on the move, e.g. when I have to alternative routes planned and want to change to the second one, and I don't want to be distracted trying to touch small onscreen buttons etc while doing so.

The phone screens, even with with 'touch' gloves, are not really suited to changing things when moving with missed or false clicks etc. The interface designs are for general usage not specific to motorbike use. The routing apps available are all limited in some way with functionality so you end up finding nothing quite does the trick. I'd find one that would support the multi-checkpoint routes I wanted to create then but wouldn't let you change the road preferences for example.

This is why I gave up after a couple of years and bought a Garmin 590 (and just upgraded to a XT). Its pretty much a one trick pony but it does that very well. The interface and screen are specifically designed for gloved hands so using it is not distracting. I can setup routes with multiple checkpoints, I can also add shaping points to force it to use certain roads, I can have multiple routes planned and switch between them.

Its the same with taking photos, most of the time the phones are just great and I use mine all the time but still grab my proper camera when I want to get it right.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2022 at 09:24 AM. Reason: phones ;-)

Spyder Garage

Seems to me this thread took a bit of a turn. I think each of us has an opinion on the phone vs. Zumo debate, but I don't believe that's what Mazo was asking exactly. The Zumo XT was already purchased so doubtful he is too concerned about which one is better.

Just my opinion.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Rick,
    To answer your question - yes I have loaded my music on my XT and listen to it (along with navigation prompts, when needed) via Bluetooth to my Sena unit installed in my helmet. No issues whatsoever. In my opinion, the XT is the best Garmin yet and I have owned a bunch of them!

Good luck!
    2020 Spyder RTL

Enjoy life today
    Yesterday is gone
    Tomorrow may never come

Spyder Garage

One of the features I really like is the display showing me how many exits for an approaching town, and which of those exits have food / gas / lodging. Makes planning stops much easier when traveling in unknown territory. Granted I try to avoid major highways, but living in the Southwest it is sometime necessary to use them to get someplace. Last year a did a 14 day trip (13 states) with most of it on roads I had never traveled before. I gave me the information that made the trip much more relaxing without having to worry about where my next gas stop was. I would not be without a good GPS on long trips.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I'll wrap this one up by thanking everyone for the input. Yes, I did buy the XT and was easily able to pair it with a pair of earbuds, my phne, and my helmet-mounted Sena system. I can do everything I need to without any switching or connecting issues. I really like that I can run music from my phone, through the XT, and into either my earbuds OR my Sena system. And I can hear all navigation prompts while listening to the music. YES, I was able to do these things with the Samsung phone, but it was more cumbersome, and certainly much smaller screen, and NOT weatherproof. I'm happy with the setup and learning all of the widgets and features.....Happy riding peeps!!!
    Thanks for all the thoughts and comments, for and against....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very helpful. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum