Spyder Garage

Default Anyone know what the Torque Specs are for the engine oil drain plugs?

On a 2014 1330 , does anyone know what the toque specs are on the engine oil drain plugs, and which one is considered the transmission plug? The one on the left side as you are sitting on bike?
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    On a 2014 1330 , does anyone know what the toque specs are on the engine oil drain plugs, and which one is considered the transmission plug? The one on the left side as you are sitting on bike?
    Hi Steve,
    Torque specs are for DRY bolts. 15 Ft lbs; having said this I have heard of others stripping when torqueing oil pan drain bolts. Use a 3/8's drive socket, place the head of the ratchet in the palm of your hand, using two fingers on the shaft of the wrench to tighten. Do NOT apply tightening force at the end of the ratchet handle.

And yes I believe that the one on the left when seated is the transmission plug.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    ...And yes I believe that the one on the left when seated is the transmission plug.
    NO! The plug on the left is the Oil Sump, aka crankcase plug, and is a Torx T45 bit; the plug on the right is the Clutch Cover, aka transmission plug, is a 6mm Allen if the engine has OEM plugs. The torque specs, whether one uses them or not are Oil Sump 21 lbft, +/- 1 lbft; Clutch Cover 15 lbft +/- 1 lbft.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    NO! The plug on the left is the Oil Sump, aka crankcase plug, and is a Torx T45 bit; the plug on the right is the Clutch Cover, aka transmission plug, is a 6mm Allen if the engine has OEM plugs. The torque specs, whether one uses them or not are Oil Sump 21 lbft, +/- 1 lbft; Clutch Cover 15 lbft +/- 1 lbft.
    Thanks guys. I remember that I have a shop manual on DVD, and it is what you said 21 sump, and 15 trans side.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Snugged up, then one more bump of the heel of your hand. LOL.....Sorry, couldn't resist. I've never used a torque wrench on anything, but then again I've been wrenching on stuff for 50 yrs.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White