Spyder Garage

Default What is MotoBatt 12V AGM Battery like for my F3?

Went through SlingMods this morning, since it's Memorial Day and the wife told me to pick something out for myself... I went through and picked up a few goodies (Neutrino Aurora Plus will be back the first week of June!), and also made a short list of things that look interesting. I just wanted to get the forum's take on these - pro/con/meh
    I decided to post each item as a separate listing for a number of reasons.

MotoBatt 12V AGM Battery - I've never been a fan of 'factory supplied' batteries on motorcycles (except possibly Honda). I've always pulled them and bought higher end Yuasa or some similar sealed battery that, while it costs more money (like $100 more than an OEM unit) it also has the reliability to back it up. And I've already had my F3 battery take a dive after only 10 days of inactivity. Yeah, I get that it's "separation anxiety" on the part of the Can Am, but I'm curious about this battery, since it has a number of reviews that rave about it. Does it live up to its claims? Are there issues? Does it leech like any other battery? *I do keep mine on a BatteryTender+ now, but if I can get a better quality unit, I will. Thanks for your valuable input!
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

AGM, is not quite suiteable for the spyder, due to high energy need at startup, you'd be better of with an oldskool yuasa, (this is also the oe.m. BRP Battery, only rebranded). Yuasa is a good brand, but even they have some that skip to qc... like every other brand, do not buy from alie express, they get the ones that are thrown out via QC...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    AGM, is not quite suiteable for the spyder, due to high energy need at startup, you'd be better of with an oldskool yuasa, (this is also the oe.m. BRP Battery, only rebranded). Yuasa is a good brand, but even they have some that skip to qc... like every other brand, do not buy from alie express, they get the ones that are thrown out via QC...
    Pirate - Wow. I didn't know that BRP supplied Yuasa! Mine certainly didn't have one in it. But the first time I got the 'separation anxiety' groan on trying to start Estelle, I yanked that junk box out and went straight up to Battery Mart and got a much higher quality unit (Yuasa). Starts on one push of the button every time (knock wood). I'm guessing the dealer made a little switcheroo... But I know the managers at Battery Mart, and they give a very good warranty of products they sell, even over and above the factory. In all the batteries I've purchased from them, I've only had 1 bad one. Even though it was over a week later, they had me return it and replaced it, no questions asked.
    Thanks for the input!

Spyder Garage

This is gonna start a flame war for sure and prob several other wars.... I am a HUGE fan of LiFePo batteries! I yanked my OE unit after a couple of years when it started having inconsistent starting (ALWAYS on a Battery Tender) and replaced it with a Shorai LFX36 unit... Where I used to hear the engine make 3-4 revolutions before firing when cold, it now does 2 and only 1 when warmed up.... I know, way more power than is needed right? BUT, what most don't think about is the bad things that can happen when voltage drops a certain amount during cranking and that it can actually damage components over time. This goes beyond just the starter and battery themselves. I could write a book about the things I have experienced in this manner.... And now for the FUN part! The WEIGHT savings is HUGE! 4.55lbs (less if you don't get the 36 series like I did) vs the OE at 14lbs(IIRC)... And yes, you CAN actually feel it in how the byke turns! ;-)

No acid to cause problems either!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    ...I am a HUGE fan of LiFePo batteries!... I yanked my OE unit after a couple of years when it started having inconsistent starting (ALWAYS on a Battery Tender) and replaced it with a Shorai LFX36 unit...The WEIGHT savings is HUGE! 4.55lbs (less if you don't get the 36 series like I did) vs the OE at 14lbs(IIRC)...
    Hypurone - SOME LOVE THE BEACH! That's a pricey battery! I went from crap units to a $189 YUASA. The Shorai LFX36A3 lists for $319USD! The weight savings is great, as is the power level (what is the CCA of this unit?) but what kind of lifespan is it? If I'm throwing down 3+ bills for it I have to expect it to last longer than my run-of-the-mill upgraded batteries (3 minimum, max I've seen one of mine go is around 5 years).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    The Yuasa OEM battery IS an AGM. It has virtually NO difference in electrical properties to a wet-acid battery.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The Yuasa OEM battery IS an AGM. It has virtually NO difference in electrical properties to a wet-acid battery.
    Pete - I think Pirate meant to say a 'non-AGM' series YUASA (YTZ type)...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is gonna start a flame war for sure and prob several other wars.... I am a HUGE fan of LiFePo batteries! I yanked my OE unit after a couple of years when it started having inconsistent starting (ALWAYS on a Battery Tender) and replaced it with a Shorai LFX36 unit... Where I used to hear the engine make 3-4 revolutions before firing when cold, it now does 2 and only 1 when warmed up.... I know, way more power than is needed right? BUT, what most don't think about is the bad things that can happen when voltage drops a certain amount during cranking and that it can actually damage components over time. This goes beyond just the starter and battery themselves. I could write a book about the things I have experienced in this manner.... And now for the FUN part! The WEIGHT savings is HUGE! 4.55lbs (less if you don't get the 36 series like I did) vs the OE at 14lbs(IIRC)... And yes, you CAN actually feel it in how the byke turns! ;-) No acid to cause problems either!
    If I was experiencing electrical problems with my bike, or durability issues with my AGM lead-acid batteries, I would definitely give LiFePO4 batteries a try, for all the reasons you listed. That has never been an issue for me so far, with either Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chunkmonk View Post
    Went through SlingMods this morning, since it's Memorial Day and the wife told me to pick something out for myself... I went through and picked up a few goodies (Neutrino Aurora Plus will be back the first week of June!), and also made a short list of things that look interesting. I just wanted to get the forum's take on these - pro/con/meh
    I decided to post each item as a separate listing for a number of reasons.

MotoBatt 12V AGM Battery - I've never been a fan of 'factory supplied' batteries on motorcycles (except possibly Honda). I've always pulled them and bought higher end Yuasa or some similar sealed battery that, while it costs more money (like $100 more than an OEM unit) it also has the reliability to back it up. And I've already had my F3 battery take a dive after only 10 days of inactivity. Yeah, I get that it's "separation anxiety" on the part of the Can Am, but I'm curious about this battery, since it has a number of reviews that rave about it. Does it live up to its claims? Are there issues? Does it leech like any other battery? *I do keep mine on a BatteryTender+ now, but if I can get a better quality unit, I will. Thanks for your valuable input!
    I have both the MotoBatt and the Yuasa OEM in my Spyders. I don't notice any difference in performance between them.

I typically get 7 years out of the Yuasas.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-30-2022 at 03:38 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since my OEM original battery is in its 9th season and still working , I recently bought a Batteries Plus AGM battery. (extreme) It had a 1Year warranty and had the same specs as the Yuasa battery. So I went and picked it up and had them test it.

Over 13 VDC and 400 Cranking amps. Now keep in mind it will go down the more it gets used , but when I do install it I am good to go.

Will see how far I can push the Original battery Yuasa this season.

I would just stick with the original if you can. Myself just wanted something that I could get before I started riding for the season.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chunkmonk View Post
    Hypurone - SOME LOVE THE BEACH! That's a pricey battery! I went from crap units to a $189 YUASA. The Shorai LFX36A3 lists for $319USD! The weight savings is great, as is the power level (what is the CCA of this unit?) but what kind of lifespan is it? If I'm throwing down 3+ bills for it I have to expect it to last longer than my run-of-the-mill upgraded batteries (3 minimum, max I've seen one of mine go is around 5 years).
    CCA is 540. I am on my 5th year with it and there have been ZERO issues. Wife accidentally unplugged the Tender and I didn't catch it for a 2 weeks (Winter), no problems and no "fallout" so far 2 years later.... I have some gnarly injuries, this makes my ryde stints short, so I do a LOT of "starts" on a typical day ryde.... It gets USED a lot more than most would.... A side note, I have used this brand exclusively for 15 years now (starting on my 2 wheelers before the Spyder) and NONE have ever failed me!

Chuck

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Batteries

On this forum I have read way more issues from Lithium Ion Batteries used in spyders than any other Brand ..... JMHO .... MIke

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    On this forum I have read way more issues from Lithium Ion Batteries used in spyders than any other Brand ..... JMHO .... MIke
    If you look closely, I didn't write Lithium Ion, I wrote LiFePo = Lithium Iron Phosphate... BIG difference... Not that I am against L-Ion, they come standard in McLarens and the one in my 650S is still going strong from 6/2014! They are just even more pricey and not always lighter....

Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... A side note, I have used this brand exclusively for 15 years now (starting on my 2 wheelers before the Spyder) and NONE have ever failed me!
    Which brand?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Which brand?
    Shorai

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Just some food for thought. Spyder charging system is programmed for AGM batteries. Flooded and Li On or other types have different charging requirements.
    I'd stick with what works. I get 10 yrs. out of the Yuasa batteries in my Ski Doo's, on maintainers when garaged, and they see way more abuse than in bikes. Plus, those AGMs are mounted on their sides.
    Most Yuasa are made in PA, I think it's same plant that makes Deka. East Penn manufacturing.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Went to Cycle Gear, armed with the part number for the the Motobatt, to see if they could do better than Slingmods. They didn't have a crossover. The batteries they did have were three times more expensive!! They kept pushing a Lithium Ion - I don't care for them.
    Slingmods Motobatt on next month's budget.
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Spyder Garage

In my poor, old, slow V-Max I 've had a Shoria Li battery for at least 5 years without incident. Mr Max is a heavy bike and the amazingly light lithum batt helps with the power to wt ratio. BUT----- I'll stick with the OEM batt for my .

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Not a fan of the made in China Motobatt. Have seen too many fail in short term on our customers bikes. Stick with a made in USA Yuasa or if you do want to persue and upgrade, move up to the Odyssey which is also made in USA and built for a bit more longevity.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame