Spyder Garage

Default BRP data useless

Yesterday I went for a group ride, filling up the tank at the gas station where the ride started from. The display showed an initial number of 198 miles worth of fuel, but as the trip started, all at modest speed, the number went up until it stabilized at the point where the miles to go and the miles already traveled totaled around 225. I was fine with that, but suddenly and without warning the number which was now down to 160 (I had ridden about 65 miles so far) suddenly changed to 231. The display was telling me that I could go a total of just under 400 miles on that tankful, or over 40 miles a gallon. Later in the ride it seemed to correct itself and when the ride ended, and I again filled the tank, I had ridden 164 miles and the display said I could have gone another 70 miles. In truth, I never pay that much attention to that display, using the rough guide of filling up anytime it is convenient after doing 150 miles, and trying not to stretch it to over 180. So much about my 2021 RT impresses me with its technology and engineering, but BRP data is not very confidence building.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depends on how fast you’re going. Speeding up then slowing down will cause it to reconfigure the miles. It’s how any gas mile indicator works. Just don’t rely on it as it’s giving you an estimate.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I believe the range indicator is telling you how far you can go (approx.) considering how you are driving at that exact moment. I get the same bad info. in my Buick. If I drive economically, I can watch my range INCREASE.... at least for a little while. Never pay any attention to it because it doesn't know how I will drive in the future. I usually just have my MPG displayed instead.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

It is on the over sensitive side. Mine does the same. As long as the fuel gauge is correct on the low side is really all that matters. My last tank read like 35 miles to empty and the gauge had one small red bar showing leaving work. I got half way home and went to no readings. Talk about a pucker moment. Got to a station and filled. Took 5.6gal to fill. And now the punch line… It doesn’t hurt to run a tank down until zero gauge reading so you’ll know when to really start sweating.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its just a estimate. Just like in the cars.

Spyder Garage

Gas Gauge? hmmmmm. wait until you try to activate the Blue tooth for the music already stored in Android phone. worked for about an hour on my first try. BP HQ had me disconnect and then try again. Service Mgr pissed that his salesman didn't go get the token Blue tooth expert to pair my phone before sales was started. He & expert tried,gave up and called BRP central service. Figured out that the BT chip was shot or the whole speedo was shot. New parts under warranty due in late July.
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting