Spyder Garage

Default Discovery Trailer - mini review

It’s not a Bushtec. Only had it two weeks and put about 2,000 miles on it and 3 people have asked me that question.

It’s a Discovery by The USA Trailer Store in Greenville, SC. Picked up from them on an east coast swing. Pulls great. Shares a similar if not identical suspension with the Bushtec. Very little movement of items in the trailer. Carpeted on the inside, top and bottom. Has a luggage rack, not sure if I will need it with all the room inside, but never say never.

The folks were great to deal with, sent all the paperwork in the mail to me and I was able to get the title and the tag before I even picked it up. They even mounted the tag for me.

Comes with a small hand operated air pump to adjust the shocks. That took a couple of tries to get comfortable with, but with the small amount of air needed for changes you don’t want to use any type of air compressor. 3 to 5 strokes compensate for a pretty good weight change.

The only downside I have seen is the gelcoat finish. That part is not up to Bushtec standards, but they mention that on their website. Not that it’s bad, just not perfect. If I were to leave it black, a good claybar job and a couple of coats of good wax and I would be happy. It will get painted to match the bike…...end of problem.

The taillights are slightly dim but the light bar mounted in the spoiler is plenty bright. Brake lights are fine.

The only other negative I have found is I will have to raise my rear facing dashcam because now it can’t see enough to be useful mounted down by the RTL’s tag.

Would I buy it again, yes. At $2,999 I think it’s a very good buy.
    Discovery Trailer.jpg
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Few more details to add as I progress with it.

Advertised weight is 125 lbs. Didn't believe the add and I was right, closer to 175. That's with the 34 quart Rubbermaid ice chest mounted on its bracket, empty.

Tongue weight ice chest empty / trailer empty 21 lbs or about 11%

Tongue weight ice chest 3/4 full crushed ice / trailer empty 40 lbs or about 23%

Added 1/4" eye bolts in the corners to use with stretch netting.

Added 2 led battery operated lights I picked up at Harbor Freight. Used the hook part of velcro and it stuck right to the carpet, hope it holds.

Going to get some estimates for paint this week.

Spyder Garage

Post back what the estimate for the paint job is. I know it varies by location and such but also thinking of painting RT-622
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Very nice Ed. I’m still looking for a used close bushtec for another week. If not I’m pulling the trigger too. How is the main hinge and latch? I read elsewhere they added a second strut which was not allowing the latch to lineup because it’s to strong of struts. Only problem I’ve read and it was stated on 2 different sites. Also, is there a fifth wire “not” used in the 4 pin flat plug. Was told there is a separate red brake wire not used but able to be used with 5 pin and third brake light. Since you have the third brake light under rear fin I assume there is. How is that wired? With 4 pin the brake and turn for each side is wired so that third brake light would flash is turn signal is turned on.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Wmoater, will try to answer in order. There are two struts, one on each hinge. I would not say they are overly strong because you still have to lift the hatch past the half way point before the struts take over. I could see where if you were to just release the hatch at this point it could open with enough force to throw something out of alignment ( it opens to vertical ). Mine closes dead on the latch each time.

Not sure about a fifth wire, didn't see it in the loom for the 4 wire connector. All the wiring is under the carpet that is glued down around the edges or I would lift it up to see. The light bar under the spoiler only functions as a running light. Each side on the rear you have a red and amber light. Only the red is on for running lights. Using the turn signals or brakes causes both a brighter red and the amber to come on.

Spyder Garage

Have not been able to break free at work this week to get paint estimates. May just take a vacation day next week and do it.

Washing it last weekend I noticed a couple damp trails and spots inside. Did not happen during rain events. I had angled the water hose up under the rim and it found the week spots in the gasket. Quick trip to Home Depot and some 1/2 thick by 9/16 wide self stick foam rubber should cure that. Lined the bottom edge of the top. Any water getting in will have to navigate past the foam first. Don't think it would have leaked going down the road in a rain event unless it was splashed up at an angle while passing or getting passed.

Spyder Garage

EdMat
    Two questions concerning your trailer. First, which trailer hitch did you go with? Second, did you purchase a “Plug and Play” wiring harness to go from your spyder to the trailer or did you have to do some creative wiring to get the connection correct. I think you may have answered the electrical question earlier but I wasn’t sure if you were just providing technical info. and still used a “P and P” wiring connector.
    Thanks
    Poasttown, 2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    EdMat
    Two questions concerning your trailer. First, which trailer hitch did you go with? Second, did you purchase a “Plug and Play” wiring harness to go from your spyder to the trailer or did you have to do some creative wiring to get the connection correct. I think you may have answered the electrical question earlier but I wasn’t sure if you were just providing technical info. and still used a “P and P” wiring connector.
    Thanks
    Poasttown, 2019 F3L
    Standard ball hitch. I feel there is no need for a swivel hitch on a Spyder. I went the plug and play route from I think it was Lamonster when I added the hitch so it ended in a 4 pin that matched all my trailers.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange