Spyder Garage

Default ST2 Brake Light Modulator & TrikLED Fender LEDs - need connection under hood?

Picked up an ST2 brake light modulator recently. For those not familiar with the item, it's a GPS adapter that when hooked up to the brake circuit, will cause the lights to flash then go steady on any deceleration. Same concept as the BackOff! and it's clones, but you don't have to touch the brake pedal to activate it. Once you hit the brake pedal, it immediately goes steady. Nice concept - especially on the Ryker. How much of your braking is just backing off the throttle? Kind of a safety issue IMHO with a CVT transmission that does a LOT of engine braking.

Anyway - I also picked up the TrikLED front fender kit. Way kool for upping your visibility. I like them as running lights, but am hoping to hook the ST2 up to those so they flash along with the OEM brake lights.

Short version - no luck finding a brake circuit connection under the hood. Any ideas? I can always tap the line at the master cylinder, but that's a whole lot more teardown ...

Hep me! Please!

PS - the ST2 can be set up to either do the flashing, or just go steady. I'm thinking that the flashing would be way annoying on the fender lights, but it's a pretty easy fix either way.
    Last edited by sKiZo; 05-28-2022 at 08:57 PM.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    Short version - no luck finding a brake circuit connection under the hood. Any ideas? I can always tap the line at the master cylinder, but that's a whole lot more teardown .......
    A while back I added a 4" (maybe it's 6") red led *brake light up under the upper fender. I can't remember which color wires I connected to AT the rear tail lights, but I did no cutting or splicing on any Ryker wires. I cut the *brake wire insulation back and spread the strands out flat. Then I fed them in to the disconnected "connector" Then reconnected the male/female. It's been working fine with brake pedal but wasn't meant for deceleration....hmmm. BTW I think what did to figure out which wires to hook up to is I found a Slingmod brake hookup video and went from there.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2022 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You’d be surprised what you’ll find on YouTube. “GPS adapter”???

https://youtu.be/IPyuYvkTEbc
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    Picked up an ST2 brake light modulator recently. For those not familiar with the item, it's a GPS adapter that when hooked up to the brake circuit, will cause the lights to flash then go steady on any deceleration. Same concept as the BackOff! and it's clones, but you don't have to touch the brake pedal to activate it. Once you hit the brake pedal, it immediately goes steady. Nice concept - especially on the Ryker. How much of your braking is just backing off the throttle? Kind of a safety issue IMHO with a CVT transmission that does a LOT of engine braking.

Anyway - I also picked up the TrikLED front fender kit. Way kool for upping your visibility. I like them as running lights, but am hoping to hook the ST2 up to those so they flash along with the OEM brake lights.

Short version - no luck finding a brake circuit connection under the hood. Any ideas? I can always tap the line at the master cylinder, but that's a whole lot more teardown ...

Hep me! Please!

PS - the ST2 can be set up to either do the flashing, or just go steady. I'm thinking that the flashing would be way annoying on the fender lights, but it's a pretty easy fix either way.
    You want brake lights on front fenders??

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    You want brake lights on front fenders??
    Back side of the front fenders so they're visible to people behind you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Back side of the front fenders so they're visible to people behind you.
    sKIZo, Seems like a poor idea to me. You want flashing brake lights to warn drivers behind you of deceleration, great idea! BUT you also want drivers to be drawn in closer to you by mounting brake lights on the rear of the front fenders. Think "POOR DEPTH PERCEPTION"

Spyder Garage

Operative word there being "rear" ... No different to me than the third eye brake lights on a pickup. We're talking equal or greater difference than the Ryker ...

(Ditto for the "smart" helmet lights. With those, add "bobbing about like a bobble head" to the list of possible distractions.) <G>

I figure easiest would be to use the hot and ground from the accessory plug under the left color panel. I'm already using that for the TrikLED lights anyway. Running a signal wire from the brake light switch to that location should be easy enough. Got that on my to do too done list today.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    A while back I added a 4" (maybe it's 6") red led *brake light up under the upper fender.
    Yup ... also plan to add a third eye out back, probably up under the tail end of the max mount. Main thing is to have all the brake lights synchronize to get their attention without minimum "dUH WTF" factor ...