Hybrid View

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterRT View Post
    Thanks all who posted here and this is a good website forum to find out how to do things on the Spyders. I use a Krikit tool when I put the new belt on to make sure the tension is at 160lbs, and I may have to do the belt alignment too,

Regards Peter
    Many here have decided that is the sweet spot ..... However this measurement is used if the tire " IS ON THE GROUND ", if the tire is OFF the ground the measurement is different. Sorry but I don't remember how much that is ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    However this measurement is used if the tire " IS ON THE GROUND ", if the tire is OFF the ground the measurement is different. Mike
    Hi All. Just gotta add my 2 cents worth here.

The way I see it is if the rear of the bike is supported in such a way that the rear suspension is carrying the load, i.e. supported under the shock bolt or the swingarm, the tire can/will be off the ground but the swing arm will have the same angle, w.r.t the frame, resulting in the same belt tension as when the tire is supporting the load, i.e. On the ground.

Thanks for bearing with me. "bearing"
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post

The way I see it is if the rear of the bike is supported in such a way that the rear suspension is carrying the load, i.e. supported under the shock bolt or the swingarm, the tire can/will be off the ground but the swing arm will have the same angle, w.r.t the frame, resulting in the same belt tension as when the tire is supporting the load, i.e. On the ground.

If I understand you to mean " there is No difference in belt tension on the ground or off the ground " I dis-agree, I and others have measured it on & off and the tension is different . .... try it yourself .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Completely different tension on/off ground
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post

Eckhard - You're right that the swing arm will have the same angle wrt the frame if you jack the machine up by the lower shock bolt. Most don’t do that, rather jack it up by the main framework up forward. That’s the BRP guidance. That allows the swing arm to raise and lower. What changes then, is the angle between the swing arm and the front pulley. I guess you could call it an angle. Maybe more accurately, what changes is the straight line distance between the front pulley and the rear pulley center lines. The swing arm pivots aft of the front pulley centerline. So, as the machine is raised and the swing arm pivots downward, it lossens the belt. If the swing arm moves upward the belt gets tighter. BRP belt tension procedure specifies wheel elevated off the ground and thus every tech does it the same way....hopefully.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 06-05-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thank you. That is exactly what I was trying to say.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White