Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W. View Post
    Maybe I missed the explanation in the earlier parts of this thread, but why aren't the 2014 RTs included?? Not that I want to be left out of the party, but what changed between the early 2014 models and the rest of the afflicted ones?? Curious minds, and all of that!!
    At the other end of the Spyder timeline I have a 2020 that still has the older style black pulley. I don't think the white pulley was installed at the factory until 2021. The 2020 MY is excluded as well so I find that a bit surprising. I did ask Smoak about that in his latest video and he replied that he wasn't sure why the 2020 is not on the recall list. Will be interesting to see what the actual fix entails at the end of August.
    2020 RT Limited - Chalk Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kroache View Post
    At the other end of the Spyder timeline I have a 2020 that still has the older style black pulley. I don't think the white pulley was installed at the factory until 2021. The 2020 MY is excluded as well so I find that a bit surprising. I did ask Smoak about that in his latest video and he replied that he wasn't sure why the 2020 is not on the recall list. Will be interesting to see what the actual fix entails at the end of August.
    There’s a line of thought among the couple of dealers I have spoken to that BRP are looking to get the higher mileage Spyders out of the way before they move on to any ‘20+ models that may require attention.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well Bill W. I don’t know if you’re an engineer or not, but I do know thar I’m NOT. They could feed me any kind of bull and I’d have to accept it as gospel. The only thing that I know is that mine was built December 2013 and it is NOT subject to the recall. Why? I don’t know, nor do I CARE. To quote Peter.....RIDE MORE...WORRY LESS.

As for missing a previous comment....start at #1 and reread them all.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    There’s a line of thought among the couple of dealers I have spoken to that BRP are looking to get the higher mileage Spyders out of the way before they move on to any ‘20+ models that may require attention.

Pete
    Thanks Pete....I was thinking along the same lines as well. Not too concerned at this point but will take a peek from time to time to ensure all looks good.

Have a good one!!
    2020 RT Limited - Chalk Metallic Dark

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Recall Warranty Bulletin

This is the Warranty Bulletin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    This is the Warranty Bulletin
    That is only page 1 of 6. Looking for the other 5 pages.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reading the warranty bulletin said that the warranty recall includes up to a certain '19 model year VIN, I may be wrong, but that tells me that most likely that something was changed in the subsequent built Spyders. Has anyone looked at any discernible differences? Also, are there any differences in, or updated part numbers from the tranny output shaft onward. Are the part numbers for the '20 thru to the '22 available on line or ?????? yet? A simple look up would give a clue to what is on the horizon.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

1st report from a MN rider who got his Spyder in this morning for the sprocket recall (chuck)

(Well interesting, They have to test the sprocket. if in tolerance I get it back Thursday. if not they have to order a sprocket, same as I have and get it back when replaced. Then when new sprockets are available get that one)

SO, if your dealer says your sprocket is out of spec and therefore dangerous, it sits till the new sprocket gets put on.
    arn't the sprockets back ordered right now? And then there will be the final sprocket to be put on.

Both MN guys who took their Spyders in for inspection, got the call this afternoon that they both passed first inspection.

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 07-05-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Pulled the side cover off on my 2018 F3L to check my sprocket. Looks fine. Called my service writer and told him it looks good, but he still recommended that I bring it in for inspection, since we are leaving on a 10 day road trip in a few weeks. He said they will inspect it, and if it needs it they will have to order a sprocket and I will need to bring it back to have it installed. Worst part is they are over 100 miles away, down in Phoenix, where it is hotter than hell. Headed down first thing in the morning. Wish me luck.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    Wish me luck.
    Luck!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Reading the warranty bulletin said that the warranty recall includes up to a certain '19 model year VIN, I may be wrong, but that tells me that most likely that something was changed in the subsequent built Spyders. Has anyone looked at any discernible differences? Also, are there any differences in, or updated part numbers from the tranny output shaft onward. Are the part numbers for the '20 thru to the '22 available on line or ?????? yet? A simple look up would give a clue to what is on the horizon.
    A different sprocket part number would not tell you anything, old timer. They changed to a white sprocket in ‘21 and even it was exactly the same base sprocket, simply painted white, it would have a new part number. From what I understand, after quite a few discussions, the white sprocket was introduced simply to eliminate the whistling that quite a few ‘20+ RT riders were reporting. It is still the same base sprocket. It is quite possible that BRP are simply doing the higher mileage (more at risk) model years first, and will then turn their attention to the ‘20+ models. Perhaps the ‘20+ models have a lower risk factor as BRP started using the new moly paste on them at assembly.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 07-06-2022 at 08:57 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Good Luck! I'm in Payson and it's gonna take a lot of convincing this time of year. Keep us posted. Thanks.
    My sprocket has an infinite amount of play. I can't feel it, but a can hear it. Looks like new. 58 k miles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    A different sprocket part number would not tell you anything, old timer. They changed to a white sprocket in ‘21 and even if was exactly the same base sprocket, simply painted white, it would have a new part number. From what I understand, after quite a few discussions, the white sprocket was introduced simply to eliminate the whistling that quite a few ‘20+ RT riders were reporting. It is still the same base sprocket. It is quite possible that BRP are simply doing the higher mileage (more at risk) model years first, and will then turn their attention to the ‘20+ models. Perhaps the ‘20+ models have a lower risk factor as BRP started using the new moly paste on them at assembly.

Pete
    Sounds like a logical answer Pete especially in light of sparce info.

Thanks.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azprince View Post
    Good Luck! I'm in Payson and it's gonna take a lot of convincing this time of year. Keep us posted. Thanks.
    My sprocket has an infinite amount of play. I can't feel it, but a can hear it. Looks like new. 58 k miles.
    What model? Perhaps you could post it under your signature.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    What model? Perhaps you could post it under your signature.
    I am the proud owner of a 2015 RT SM6, Steel black metallic paint.
    I can't seem to get the info to stay. Says I need to fill in my interests.
    I'll try again later.
    Last edited by azprince; 07-07-2022 at 11:37 AM. Reason: corrections

Spyder Garage

Default Phase 1 of the sprocket recall

Phase 1 of the sprocket recall

Let me first say I am not having any trouble with my sprocket. I pulled the side cover and all looked good. I call my service rep and asked if I still needed to come in for the inspection (that is phase 1 of the recall procedure). He advised me that I should. So I just got back from my trip to Phoenix with a N/C receipt for the inspection. That bad part is it has a big red stamp on it that reads ' Not safe to ride'. Like I said it looks fine, no red dust, or anything else. It turns out the inspection includes a test that measures unusual wear, which mine apparently has. Now I have to wait for the parts to come in. Hopefully real quick since we are scheduled to leave on Aug 4th for the Sturgis Rally. My 2018 F3 Limited only has 9,500 miles on it. To say I am bummed is and understatement.

IMG_7381.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2022 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Moved post title so all can read - some only see thread titles!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I am the proud owner of a 2015 RT SM6, Steel black metallic paint.
    I can't seem to get the info to stay. Says I need to fill in my interests.
    I'll try again later.
    I've just added the '2015 RT SM6' to your Signature line in your User Profile for you, so now after you log out & then log back in again, if you've ticked all the 'display signature' boxes, it should display on every post you make. PLease PM me if it doesn't...

You can always edit your Signature line (sig line) further if you wish via 'My Profile' button up in the top Right of every page, and tick the 'display signature' boxes in 'Settings' just to the Right of that!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2022 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Please PM.....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

galvanic corrosion steel may be?
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Does the inspection require the tech to mess with the belt tension? I have mine where I want it, after the dealer had it messed up badly.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2022 at 08:08 AM. Reason: ' 's & .'s ;-)
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    Does the inspection require the tech to mess with the belt tension? I have mine where I want it, after the dealer had it messed up badly.
    I'm guessing the inspection requires the removal of the front pulley. If they walk it off, maybe all will stay the same.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I've just added the '2015 RT SM6' to your Signature line in your User Profile for you, so now after you log out & then log back in again, if you've ticked all the 'display signature' boxes, it should display on every post you make. PLease PM me if it doesn't...

You can always edit your Signature line (sig line) further if you wish via 'My Profile' button up in the top Right of every page, and tick the 'display signature' boxes in 'Settings' just to the Right of that!
    Peter,
    Thanks, I've attempted several times yesterday and was unsuccessful.
    Dick Prince
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2022 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2015 RT SM6

Spyder Garage

Peter,
    Thanks, I've attempted several times yesterday and was unsuccessful.
    Dick Prince

Looks like you've got it working now!

And with that, let's go back to our scheduled program.... err, topic.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

When the sprocket failed on my wife's used purchased '15 F3S at 25k miles, the dealer showed me the old sprocket. The ''teeth'' or splines on the old one had rounded right out of it. They were gone.
    I suspect when they made the sprockets the centers were not heat treated enough to increase their strength, so the splines were not strong enough to handle the torque loads or quite a few of them got through quality control if they were even hardened.
    Sprocket steel seemed to be a lot ''softer'' than the hardened trans. output shaft.
    Possibly the new white one has a harder metal center section to better match up to the trans. shaft metal hardness.
    That's my take on it.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

I saw this recall notice on the BRP / Can Am website a couple of days ago. The letter said that dealers were doing "temporary" repairs after 06/30/22, and that the "permanent" recall parts would begin arriving at dealers after (I think) 08/30/22. Here's the URL for the Safety Recall page - it's the very first notice 5/26/22.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...y-recalls.html

I looked it up as some of the Spyders I've been looking at would be subject to this recall. The one I'm looking at Monday is at a dealer who already did the temporary repair as of yesterday. I was glad I found this out NOW - hope it'll help someone else.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cravenfun View Post
    When the sprocket failed on my wife's used purchased '15 F3S at 25k miles, the dealer showed me the old sprocket. The ''teeth'' or splines on the old one had rounded right out of it. They were gone.
    I suspect when they made the sprockets the centers were not heat treated enough to increase their strength, so the splines were not strong enough to handle the torque loads or quite a few of them got through quality control if they were even hardened.
    Sprocket steel seemed to be a lot ''softer'' than the hardened trans. output shaft.
    Possibly the new white one has a harder metal center section to better match up to the trans. shaft metal hardness.
    That's my take on it.
    The current white sprocket is not a “fix” for the issue, cravenfun. It was simply released to address the often reported whistling on the ‘20+ RT. The new sprocket to address the failing sprocket issue won’t be available until Aug/Sept.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.