Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Have a 2015 RT Limited. Received the recall notice.
    Bike was in the shop to check on the clanging noise when slowing to a stop.
    It was determined that the front pulley was already showing wear and damage and that it should not be driven and if driven that it is at my risk.
    They will not do the interim fix and I just have to wait till the permanent fix is available. This could be a very long wait.
    Pulley was replaced in June 2019 by the dealer and BRP furnished the parts and I paid the installation cost.
    Called BRP and they will cover my costs for that fix.
    Very bad news as I basically have nothing at this point.

does anyone have a timeline as to how long or miles from the first knowledge of the problem till total failure?
    The noise on mine is about 3 weeks and 400 miles so is it subject to immediate failure or can it last 500 miles more or just what to expect.

BRP may replace the damaged pulley with a new one as the interim fix. Will still need the final fix at a later date.
    This is good news as I should then be able to use the bike this season.
    I did get reimbursed for the labor charges for the new pulley 3 years ago. Although this came as a dealer credit.
    A BRP representative did state that on a case by case basis they would consider some form of compensation for loss of useage.
    Last edited by cwgibb; 07-17-2022 at 03:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

thumbnail worn pully.jpg This sprocket was still in service with no red dust

Spyder Garage

Ok but what's that red/brown stuff inside the 6 holes?
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Just called can am to notify them I am new owner of the my 2015 RTS Special Series and got that taken care of and they confirmed my RTS is on recall and that I have to call my dealer for m area and let them know and get scheduled etc so guess that I will do tomorrow when they open to see when they want it in etc and BRP did say they will pay the temp fix and the final fix per customer support so at least good news there and parts should be arriving to dealerships end of June as they told me a few weeks ago that the service rep confirmed too so good luck all ride safe
    New Owner of
    2015 Spyder RT-S Special Series
    Black/Silver w Burgundy Seat
    Bought only had 3,660 miles
    1st time on Spyder and 1st ride was 2 hour trip home after purchase
    No Regrets and each day always a good day to ride…
    2015 RTS Special Series , Black/Silver w Burgundy Seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Thanks for posting this Joshua.

I wonder how they will handle those of us that have already bit the bullet and replaced it on our own?

I guess now that the NTSB is involved they may have to come up with a true fix for the problem. One can only hope

The notice said that even if you have already replaced it you should be able to be reimbursed, AND have the mandatory replacement done as well.
    Last edited by Ghoster; 06-27-2022 at 01:34 PM.

Just my first trip with the Spyder.
    Jeff

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Yeah, but they tell us 'the Fix' will only take an hour once the parts start dribbling in, some time after August 30 - and that's not the Interim Fix, which will also only take an hour, but is available from 30 June... And even if you get the Interim Fix, ALL Spyders afflicted will still need the Final Fix to satisfy the recall!!!

So I doubt that either fix involves replacing the shaft?!?
    Actually it says the interim fix will only take about an hour

Just my first trip with the Spyder.
    Jeff

Spyder Garage

When it fails, everything kind of falls apart in there and you really lose propulsion. We got lucky that both of our failures were at spots where there was a place to pull over. If you drive a lot of interstates and choose the left lanes with lots of traffic, you may want to rethink that until you have the fix. Don's went while we were headed downhill in the mountains, so he was able to coast to a pull-off where we changed out his backseat for my storage and we rode 2 up to go get the trailer and self-rescue. Mine happened on a slight uphill with no place to pull off without going into the grassy ditch. I turned my flashers on and pulled over as far as I could so that cars could still get around me; luckily we happened to be riding together that day (usually I ride alone, so that was pure luck) so then we both pushed it up the hill to a wider pull off and then we rode 2 up to get the trailer. Don's went before mine, and I knew I had red dust so it was only a matter of time for mine -- I started riding more carefully, considering "if my sprocket went now, what would happen?" For me that meant less passing in the mountains and if on the highway, choosing the slower lanes. etc.

20210901_140603 Small.jpeg 20210901_140612 Small.jpeg 20210901_140658 Small.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2022 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Yeah, but they tell us 'the Fix' will only take an hour once the parts start dribbling in, some time after August 30 - and that's not the Interim Fix, which will also only take an hour, but is available from 30 June... And even if you get the Interim Fix, ALL Spyders afflicted will still need the Final Fix to satisfy the recall!!!

So I doubt that either fix involves replacing the shaft?!?
    Actually it says the interim fix will only take about an hour
    Errm, no..... It says BOTH fixes will only take about an hour!

• BRP will be offering an interim repair procedure. The procedure will act as a temporary solution until the front sprocket replacement is available as all front sprockets will need to be replaced. The procedure will be available at your dealer starting on June 30 and should take less than an hour.

• The parts for the final repair will gradually be available in a very limited quantity over an extended period, due to supply chain limitations. The replacement procedure should be available at your dealer starting on August 30 and should take less than an hour.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    When it fails, everything kind of falls apart in there and you really lose propulsion. We got lucky that both of our failures were at spots where there was a place to pull over. If you drive a lot of interstates and choose the left lanes with lots of traffic, you may want to rethink that until you have the fix. Don's went while we were headed downhill in the mountains, so he was able to coast to a pull-off where we changed out his backseat for my storage and we rode 2 up to go get the trailer and self-rescue. Mine happened on a slight uphill with no place to pull off without going into the grassy ditch. I turned my flashers on and pulled over as far as I could so that cars could still get around me; luckily we happened to be riding together that day (usually I ride alone, so that was pure luck) so then we both pushed it up the hill to a wider pull off and then we rode 2 up to get the trailer. Don's went before mine, and I knew I had red dust so it was only a matter of time for mine -- I started riding more carefully, considering "if my sprocket went now, what would happen?" For me that meant less passing in the mountains and if on the highway, choosing the slower lanes. etc.

20210901_140603 Small.jpeg 20210901_140612 Small.jpeg 20210901_140658 Small.jpeg
    I can't believe how red, dusty, crusty those things look!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I got lucky (?) that it held on for about 55K miles? I had visible red dust as soon as we checked it way back in 2015/2016 (can't remember when the red dust threads started). The dealerships kept telling me that if mine was going to happen it would have done so already so I must be one of the lucky ones who avoided the issue (yes, even though I had red dust). so yep, that's years and miles worth of dust -- I got the spyder in Feb of 2015 and the sprocket went in September of 2021.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I've been following this problem since we bought our 2016 RTS last year and am very happy to see that BRP is doing the right thing here. My odometer is only at 6200 miles, so I am confident that I will survive the wait for the final fix ... fingers crossed that is.

Spyder Garage

So do does anyone know how many failures there has been? I am/was planning on going to the Deadwood 3 Wheeler Rally. Should I take the gamble? What are the odds that I would have the failure on the trip?

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    So do does anyone know how many failures there has been? I am/was planning on going to the Deadwood 3 Wheeler Rally. Should I take the gamble? What are the odds that I would have the failure on the trip?
    I got a message from a friend locally with a 2018 RTL with around 13k miles. He was worried when he got the recall letter and was afraid to ride. Since it wasn't as easy to look at as the F3 series, I had him come over and we pulled the bike up on my ramps. He did have a small amount of red dust, but nothing too crazy (kinda like my 2016 F3T had at 25k when mine was replaced). Other than that, everything looked fine. I told him I could not tell him what to do, but with the amount that he had, I would notify the local dealership so he could be on the list, but I would still ride. Maybe not on any cross country 4,000 mile treks, but I would not hesitate to do a 500 mile day trip to the mountains on the bike.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I dunno Seaweed, if you hadn't asked & just gone ahead & done it, the odds probably would've been pretty slim to non-existent.... But now that you have asked
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Not sure of the number of outright failures, but I bet most of the ones replaced were done well before it was at problem stage.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Ours was bad and had to be replaced at our SE Ohio Spyder Rally a week ago. You could actually tighten the nut almost 3/4 of a turn. Bike is being ridden on a 4000 mile trip starting this Friday.
    BRP has agreed to cover the cost. The reimbursement is not exactly what most people are thinking. They issue you a letter with the case number on it and cost. You can take it to a dealer and good for credit against any type of parts or service. At least its something.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

got my letter last week. 2015 RTL, hadn't looked up VIN, but letter confirms it. i have looked at last year, no red dust, but will put on ramps and look closer. 36,000 without a problem. i will get new pulley after the rush is over
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Sprocket inspection Ref Safety Recall

See this video at about 3min 40secs
    Shawn Smoke gives details on the inspection issued by BRP on 30th June

https://youtu.be/JzHOVtNTogQ
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Default Recall information

Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Smoaks on You Tube just posted on the Front Drive Pulley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzHOVtNTogQ
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I just received the recall last week. I called BRP and they said, park it until further notice. Hmmmmmmmm

BRP RECALL 2022 edit.jpg
    2019 RT LIMITED , Intstalled Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by luminavanman View Post
    I just received the recall last week. I called BRP and they said, park it until further notice. Hmmmmmmmm
    Yes, it appears BRP’s left hand doesn’t know what its right hand is doing, Lumina

According to Shawn Smoaks, who received his “update to dealers” from BRP on 30 June, there is NO “interim fix” per se. If you are unwilling/unable to check your sprocket regularly for red dust, are concerned about your sprocket, and have received a recall notice, you can schedule a visit to your dealer and they will check it against tolerances and re torque the bolt, while awaiting the official “fix” available from end of August. If your sprocket fails tolerances, they will replace the sprocket with the same model, while you await the “fix”.

Smoaks went to great lengths to say that the number of Spyders he sees (and he sees a huge number) with the red dust issue really is miniscule, with the best option for an owner being to visually check the sprocket on a regular basis until such time as the “fix” is available over an extended period from end August due to supply chain issues.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

We should now have all the information we need for the recall in this thread! yesterday 3 posters in a row, posted the same Smoaks video 3 times.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    We should now have all the information we need for the recall in this thread! yesterday 3 posters in a row, posted the same Smoaks video 3 times.
    T.P.
    Sure, but there is a real upside to that, T.P.…. A good many people don’t read every Spyderlovers post in detail, so the more times people post the “real” story in the short term, the less posts and confusion there will be in the longer term.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Maybe I missed the explanation in the earlier parts of this thread, but why aren't the 2014 RTs included?? Not that I want to be left out of the party, but what changed between the early 2014 models and the rest of the afflicted ones?? Curious minds, and all of that!!
    2014 RTL , Gray