Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Washer, loctite/pulley, bolt, 24hour wait, ride.

Just so as everyone knows the loctite is to glue the pulley to the shaft it's not to glue the bolt in place.
    Let the dealer do it to retain your legal status. If they allow you to ride off immediately and it fails any time in the future and kills you, they will be liable because they haven't followed loctite's cure time advice. None of them seem to be following this from what I'm reading here.
    It's a long shot you say, the odds of the replacement sprocket failing would be huge. No one has been able to confirm if the metallurgy has changed or not so, if not, the repair is based solely on the loctite preventing the sprocket from fretting and doing the same thing again. In other words, a complete waste of time and effort by all involved if it doesn't get the required cure time.
    Dealers get paid I think from memory something like 40 minutes labour from BRP to complete the task, they just want it in and out as quickly as possible, BRP just want to meet their legal obligations, you want to do your own research and stop relying on third parties to run your life and start considering bikerchris's approach to things.
    I would hate to be the poor sucker to have to pull that sprocket off after all that has set up! Torches, seals and bearings don't play well together!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would hate to be the poor sucker to have to pull that sprocket off after all that has set up! Torches, seals and bearings don't play well together!
    Mikey,

I believe the point of adding the washer behind the new sprocket is to minimize the heat transfer to the shaft seal and bearing should the new sprocket need to be heated to remove it at a later date! JMHO... Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    In 2019 I had my pulley replaced by a dealer in NV with Loctite. No cure time was mentioned and I rode the Spyder to St George, UT immediately afterward. When I had the pulley replaced a month ago for the recall the pulley was still in good shape with no wear and no dust. After the replacement of the latest pulley and washer with Loctite by my dealer in NC I rode 2 1/2 hours back to my home. Neither dealer mentioned a period of cure time. I am certainly not disputing that cure time is necessary, but I think some dealers are not mentioning it or the Loctite being used requires no cure time. Thoughts?
    Take the time to read the spec sheet that's put out by Loctite on the product.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-24-2023 at 07:52 AM. Reason: ' ;-)
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I wish that BRP would publish which type of loctite is being used, also other details such if an activator is being used (and which type).

I looked at the specs for both LOCTITE 603 and LOCTITE 609. Both show a cure time of at least 6 hours to achieve a 100% full strength on steel.
    603 cure time 603.jpg 609cure time 609.jpg

The gap between the two surfaces also make a difference for curing time.
    603gap 603.jpg 609gap 609.jpg

Also the air temperature (in the shop and parts involved) can effect the cure time. Ideal temperature is above 40 degrees above 40 C.
    603Temperature 603.jpg 609Temperature 609.jpg

The cure time can be shortened by using Activator SF 7649 or Activator SF 7471.
    603activator 603.jpg 609 activator 609.jpg

So if a dealer is allowing the Spyder to be used in less than 6 hours they might be using an activator.
    Last edited by seaweed; 03-24-2023 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    10 ton hydraulic puller has been the weapon of choice for the really stuck sprockets apparently.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    THE NEW REPLACEMENT SPROCKET IS SILVER

I have a copy of the Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
    Required parts, front sprocket kit, (includes washer)219800553 needed 1
    listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
    use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
    No cure time listed.

CHECK THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DEALER PAPERWORK!

Way too much misinformation on this issue since the start of the problem,
    We need everyone on the same page in the same book.

T.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    I wish that BRP would publish which type of loctite is being used, also other details such if an activator is being used (and which type).

I looked at the specs for both LOCTITE 603 and LOCTITE 609. Both show a cure time of at least 6 hours to achieve a 100% full strength on steel.
    603 cure time 603.jpg 609cure time 609.jpg

The gap between the two surfaces also make a difference for curing time.
    603gap 603.jpg 609gap 609.jpg

Also the air temperature (in the shop and parts involved) can effect the cure time. Ideal temperature is above 40 degrees above 40 C.
    603Temperature 603.jpg 609Temperature 609.jpg

The cure time can be shortened by using Activator SF 7649 or Activator SF 7471.
    603activator 603.jpg 609 activator 609.jpg

So if a dealer is allowing the Spyder to be used in less than 6 hours they might be using an activator.
    Nothing in the warranty bulletin about any activator so they wouldn't be following BRP's script if they did use it .

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=34089...MjBwc2ku&ntb=1
    https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=c855b...zNTUxMS4&ntb=1

Cure times highlighted as 24 and 72 hours.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Cure time is also based on the cleanliness of the metal components. The loctite reacts with the metal causing it to set. Also note that it reacts differently with various metals. The three examples shown steel, galvanize and aluminum all have different cure rates.

Hopefully the tech is willing to spend a bit of time cleaning out the grooves in the shaft, I know mine is full of moly paste.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Mikey,

I believe the point of adding the washer behind the new sprocket is to minimize the heat transfer to the shaft seal and bearing should the new sprocket need to be heated to remove it at a later date! JMHO... Bill
    The washer is to act as a solid base on the output shaft to be able to seat the milled sprocket hub, to get rid of the sprocket wobble.
    T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 03-24-2023 at 07:46 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    The washer is to act as a solid base on the output shaft to be able to seat the milled sprocket hub, to get rid of the sprocket wobble.
    T.P.
    What ever the reason for adding the washer, hopefully the center hub of the sprocket will hold-up better with the new formulated loctite! I am wishful as everyone else that this is the "Final Fix", but we all know that only time and abuse will make this a fact. btw, Who came up with calling this the final fix? I don't believe it was BRP! .Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

for those who have done the "Final fix" recall on the sprocket, have you had to pay anything? Even those "shop supplies" line items? Just planning ahead if dealership tries to make me pay even for the line item " shop supplies" I'll know how to react. With this Ridenow dealership my itemized list shows $156.99 and $14.99. Just would think those costs go to BRP along with any "shop supplies" charges
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    for those who have done the "Final fix" recall on the sprocket, have you had to pay anything? Even those "shop supplies" line items? Just planning ahead if dealership tries to make me pay even for the line item " shop supplies" I'll know how to react. With this Ridenow dealership my itemized list shows $156.99 and $14.99. Just would think those costs go to BRP along with any "shop supplies" charges
    RideNow Austin did not charge me anything for the recall. You should not be paying for anything.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    for those who have done the "Final fix" recall on the sprocket, have you had to pay anything?
    For a mandatory recall on any vehicle, you never have to pay anything. It is the law.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

2015 RTL sprocket recall complete loctite 609 shop said no need to cure but took short ride home and will let it sit, took 2 hrs including tech aligning belt which was out of spec no charges
    2015 RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Glennr10805 View Post
    2015 RTL sprocket recall complete loctite 609 shop said no need to cure but took short ride home and will let it sit, took 2 hrs including tech aligning belt which was out of spec no charges
    I wonder if that means that your shop is simply following the BRP guidelines re Loctite curing, where they apparently say nothing, and ignoring the Loctite application guidelines that say that it must cure. You shouldn’t have a problem though, Glennr, as Lamont’s techs have done many swaps and believe that a short trip after replacement, without severe throttle twisting, and then an overnight sit at home (the Spyder, not you ), is quite acceptable

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Finally got the sprockets for the wife and I done. Dealer said drop them off we can do it in 1/2 hour and off you go.But loctite takes 24 hours to cure I said.Chirp chirp crickets.........................but we've done all of them like that he said.But I want mine done correctly I said and how am I supposed to get home (100k's away). Do you have a loaner bike? Yes. There now that wasn't too hard was it.

Like extracting teeth, I swear if these fail someone's going to need loctite of the orifice remediation.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

I had my "final solution" - and yes, it actually says that on the shop ticket - done two weeks ago. Fred Cummings Motorsports here in Bakersfield didn't ask me for any money. Took about 2 hours from arrival to departure.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

"(the Spyder,not you) is quite acceptable". You can sit too, depending on if there's a game on and the state of your "honey do" list

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Had mine done May the 10th. It was ready in about 1 hr, and I rode it home, which is about 1 hr. Then I went for a ride of about 500 km. Hope the glue worked.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2023 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Removed ' 's after words before punctuation... ;-)
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I had the Sprocket Recall done this past Tuesday. An hour and 50 miles later, back at home I inspected the dealer's work. The belt tension was waaay tight and there was no gap between the belt and the driven sprocket's flange. See photos. I called the dealer's service manager and told him of my findings. He offered to make things right no charge. Being a DIYer (who I trust) I readjusted the tension and spacing, and all is well.

My suggestion is to check over what your dealer has done, or not done.

IMG_5276.jpg IMG_5282.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2023 at 08:39 AM. Reason: the the ;-)

Spyder Garage

Well, it took almost 1 year to have the recall done on my Spyder!

Original recall letter is dated 26 May 2022. The new sprocket was done today 23 May 2023. WOW lightning fast "Sarcasm".
    I asked if they changed the setting on the belt (yep, they said, according to specs). I will have to readjust it now down to a lower setting.

When I got the paperwork for the completed job (the rep said that according to BRP the Loctite had to set for 2 hours). I said ok, and walked a short way to a hamburger place and killed some time (1 hour and 50 minutes close enough to 2 hours).

This cycle shop does not have much in the way of Spyders or Rykers. Only 6 new ones on the floor. I hope the tech is trained on Spyders.

I asked for pictures of the sprocket. They are shown below:

20230523_101306.jpg A little chewed up on the lower right side of pic

20230523_101315.jpg Again showing it a little chewed up on the lower right side of pic

20230523_101343.jpg This is interesting, a chunk of the outside of the sprocket is gone. I do not know what happened.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 06:00 AM. Reason: sort way... ;-)

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Called a couple dealers neither had a sprocket in stock had to order said it may be a month. Need more dealers, closest one is a 3-hr ride.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2023 at 06:14 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

I gave up last year on taking the Spyder in for sprocket recall because it sounded like they had no idea what they are doing! My appointment this year was today, for the heck of it I thought I would call first to make sure the new sprocket was in, because I have a long drive. Well, they checked and it wasn't there yet (imagine that!) The dealer said that normally they get a date but since the BRP hack they just have to wait for parts, my question: is this more BRP problems, usual dealer B.S. or both?

Spyder Garage

I checked the previously listed part numbers and verified they're accurate, but the problem is that I can't find anywhere you can purchase them. Plus, the Can Am parts website doesn't list it as available for purchase. So, I'm wondering if it's a dealer only part available as a recall item only.

(My bike is not part of the recall, but I would like to self-install it to ensure the latest and presumably best parts are installed.)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

THE NEW REPLACEMENT SPROCKET IS SILVER

I have a copy of the Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
    Required parts, front sprocket kit, (includes washer)219800553 needed 1
    listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
    use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
    No cure time listed.

CHECK THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DEALER PAPERWORK!

Way too much misinformation on this issue since the start of the problem,
    We need everyone on the same page in the same book.

T.P.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have 39000 on my 21 with no problems wife has 22000 on hers i wouldnt worry so much