Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I am told that the 2014 RT-S, with the 1330 motor is not subject to 'Red Dust' recall/problem? Sounds odd to me but I think I did read somewhere that the recall is 2015 and newer. I am interested in purchasing a Spider but I would rather not have to worry about inspections and future warrantee work. If the 2014 does not have sprocket concerns that would be a big plus for me. Can any one confirm or debunk? Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Parkland View Post
    I am told that the 2014 RT-S, with the 1330 motor is not subject to 'Red Dust' recall/problem? Sounds odd to me but I think I did read somewhere that the recall is 2015 and newer. I am interested in purchasing a Spider but I would rather not have to worry about inspections and future warrantee work. If the 2014 does not have sprocket concerns that would be a big plus for me. Can any one confirm or debunk? Thanks.
    Historically speaking the " sprocket " wear issue didn't occur in numbers until the 15 F-3's were built ..... There have only been a very few 2014 ( late production date ) RT that have been reported here ..... My 14 has over 67,000 mi. and I check for Red Dust every week or so ( just put a small hand mirror and use a flashlight to look at it from underneath ) ...... I'm not going to cahnge what -to me - isn't broken ..... yet .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTL and I have had the red dust. I have replaced the sprocket with the new white one at 44k. Didn't notice any difference in the fitment compared to the old one. Applied moly paste when installed, I have already pulled it once and cleaned then reapplied paste at 49k. I feel that this is going to be a maintenance item. I'll be very interested to see what the fix is going to be. I'm currently at 53k.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2022 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display
    2014 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ransman View Post
    I have a 2014 RTL and I have had the red dust. I have replaced the sprocket with the new white one at 44k. Didn't notice any difference in the fitment compared to the old one. Applied moly paste when installed, I have already pulled it once and cleaned then reapplied paste at 49k. I feel that this is going to be a maintenance item. I'll be very interested to see what the fix is going to be. I'm currently at 53k.

Interesting ...... When was your 14 ...manufactured ..????? ..... this is important info ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-S sprockets

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting ...... When was your 14 ...manufactured ..????? ..... this is important info ..... Mike
    I do not own this Spyder, yet... I am looking at several. One is a 2014 with 40K-Km on it. The other is a 2015 with about the same. The 2014 owner tells me his dealer tells him his machine is not on the recall list. The 2015 owner tells me pretty much what is stated on this site. I dont have a dealer near by so inspections and future warrantee work would be difficult. It would certainly be a benefit if I didnt have to worry about passing inspections, warrantee Q and part availability. Thanks for your reply..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Parkland View Post
    I do not own this Spyder, yet... I am looking at several. One is a 2014 with 40K-Km on it. The other is a 2015 with about the same. The 2014 owner tells me his dealer tells him his machine is not on the recall list. The 2015 owner tells me pretty much what is stated on this site. I dont have a dealer near by so inspections and future warrantee work would be difficult. It would certainly be a benefit if I didnt have to worry about passing inspections, warrantee Q and part availability. Thanks for your reply..
    I would get the vin# and verify this info for myself on anything. It's very easy to do.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I would get the vin# and verify this info for myself on anything. It's very easy to do.
    ......The Dealer should have no problems with providing this info .... if they balk consider doing business elsewhere .... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I also went to my dealer with the build date (Dec. ‘13) and the dealer immediately said that I’m not part of the recall, but he did one extra step....stuck in my V.I.N. Number and once again informed me that I am not part of the recall. Very easy check for the dealer to do. I agree with Mike...if the dealer balks at the request, thank him for his service and say GOODBYE!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2022 at 10:46 PM. Reason: east - easy ;-)

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I was notified this morning at midnight by email. I assume I will receive the actual mailed version but I received the same message as above. I just Called dealer. There is “NO” remedy or solution yet established but the dealers received the notice also. It is only a notification until the exact procedure is sent to the dealers. Ironically, I just posted this same question on another thread that my dealer wanted to remove my front pulley and grease for prevented maintenance at 28000 miles and this comes out now. This includes RT’s also.
    Heard the same according to the dealer Can Am doesn't have a definitive fix yet. They are scheduling for September for the temp fix of which he says they have not been told what the fix is ????????????????

Spyder Garage

Default Red dust again

Just wanted to put this out there.

1. Just because you have red dust doesn't mean your sprocket is bad.
    2. Just because you don't have red dust doesn't mean your sprocket is good.

My sprocket looked like new. No red dust but it failed inspection. I only have 9700 miles on my F3. A new sprocket was installed on it today. Now we are ready for our trip to Sturgis.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    Just wanted to put this out there.

1. Just because you have red dust doesn't mean your sprocket is bad.
    2. Just because you don't have red dust doesn't mean your sprocket is good.

My sprocket looked like new. No red dust but it failed inspection. I only have 9700 miles on my F3. A new sprocket was installed on it today. Now we are ready for our trip to Sturgis.
    Unfortunately, you have not defined your interpretation of bad. Any indication of red dust is an indication of wear. Granted the interim inspection criteria does not mandate inspecting for wear on cleaned splines, which would indicate an accurate wear dimension. Residual fretted particles are allowed in the spline joint, possibly altering the true wear dimension.

More correctly, some owners having the interim inspection accomplished have had red dust and the tech determined the amount of wear was acceptable at this time, no further action was taken except to reinstall the bolt. Other owners having the interim inspection accomplished also noted red dust, and the tech found the wear beyond limits.

The interim inspection is just that, the pulley is still deemed bad, to use your word, as it will be dealt with again in a short interval (hopefully). Passing the interim inspection does not mean the pulley is good, simply it passed a wear check at this time.

Red dust is an indicator of fretting, fretting is wear, without corrective actions, fretting will continue until complete failure occurs. Fretting, like other corrosion does not self heal.

The interim inspection may prove to be a false sense of security, interpreted as the pulley is good, and the owner fails to return for the true method of correction to the issue.

Sadly, having a pulley pass the interim inspection is worse than having it fail. When failed, the pulley is removed, the hard oxide particles from fretting that abrade the components are cleaned away. A new replacement pulley is installed, hopefully lubricated (at a minimum with the Kluber Paste that is expensive, on backorder, and has no longevity) on reinstallation.

The hard oxide particles produced from the fretting corrosion is the ultimate enemy. Oxides are what grinding discs and sandpaper use for grit. The interim inspection does not remove this. Replacing the pulley does.

Simply sharing. And yes, with a decade of teaching corrosion control on aircraft plus years of experience repairing all forms of corrosion on aircraft, I may not have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do have a solid background on the corrosion topic and decades of experience working with spline drives, including visual inspections, wear inspections, and clean / relube checks. All the best to anyone having a pulley inspection accomplished at the dealer. If capable, I endorse at a minimum, remove the pulley, clean and inspect the splines on the gearbox shaft and pulley bore for wear. Visually, the pulleys outboard end will have virgin splines. This can serve as a visual wear indicator. There has been much discussion regarding which lubricant is best. In 2017 I inspected and reassembled our 2014 using a Bel Ray moly paste.

Again, all the best, however you proceed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ransman View Post

If you plan to discard that pulley, I would like to obtain it from you if possible. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket Recall

I brought my 2015 RT, 14,700 miles, to the dealer yesterday (7/21/22) for the sprocket recall. The explanation that I got that they use to diagnose the severity of the ID gear wear on the sprocket is: After removing the drive belt, the sprocket/pulley is marked for position and rotated. They use an indicator to see how much play is between the sprocket ID and the engine power shaft. Mine fell right at the boarder of excessive wear so they replaced it with a new pulley that is the same as the pulley that was removed because BRP hasn't issued replacements yet. They have a limited number of the old sprockets in stock. The shop that I went to has not heard anything about specific time frames to start receiving new replacement pulley's. They said that I will be getting another letter mailed to me with instructions, possibly in late August. My sprocket didn't have any red dust on it. I asked about using anything like Moly grease that I have seen posted on this forum if a replacement pulley isn't available and they weren't instructed to do that. I also asked them what happens to cause the propulsion loss. The gear teeth on the pulley shear off. That's what I expected to hear. The service took about 2 hours including a state inspection.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Unfortunately, you have not defined your interpretation of bad.
    It is not my interpretation, it is BRP's based on their testing procedure.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

It is not my interpretation, it is BRP's based on their testing procedure.
    As I followed your adventures of getting your original pulley inspected, then found to be worn beyond limits by the dealer, but showed no fretting residue, then if I understand correctly, you obtained and installed a replacement pulley.

Red dust indicates a worn pulley, no red dust indicates no wear. A pulley that failed the dimensional inspection without fretting residue brings forward a curious question. Were the gearbox shafts machined correctly, or is there variances in different batches of pulleys spline dimensions.

Seems that if a pulley is replaced, the dimensional inspection should be complied with on the new pulley before returning the vehicle to the customer. Was your new pulley install inspected for compliance to be within the dimensional check?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Was your new pulley install inspected for compliance to be within the dimensional check?
    I do not know. I took it in and they put the new one on.

Spyder Garage

I do not know. I took it in and they put the new one on.
    Have a great time in Sturgis and post up some pics for us!!

Spyder Garage

My recall notice includes the statement:

“If you continue to drive your vehicle before the sprocket replacement we recommend that you go to your dealer for the interim repair procedure.”

What is the “interim repair procedure”? It isn’t a sprocket replacement based on the above comment. I’ve spoken to three dealers and they indicate the sprocket replacement is the repair procedure.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

My dealer is over 150 miles from me so I decided to do the inspection myself. No red dust on the sprocket. Next I removed the belt and bolt from the sprocket to measure for wear. 0.00” with a dial indicator. I removed the sprocket and there was a small amount of white paste on the splines. I cleaned the shaft and sprocket splines then applied some M-77. I feel like I am good to go until the repair is available. I have just under 5000 miles on my 2019 RTL. Thanks to everyone for so much great information.
    2019 RTL , Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes. They put a new sprocket on (the white one). The permanent repair is not available yet.

Spyder Garage

Question Drive sprocket / pulley does this issue affect the 2014 RS? If not I'll leave mine alone
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CoolSpyder2014 View Post
    Question Drive sprocket / pulley does this issue affect the 2014 RS? If not I'll leave mine alone
    From the History of this issue , it didn't start until 2015 and occurred mostly to the F-3 model ..... Take a small mirror and a flashlight and look at your Sprocket..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Do the sprockets have any markings that can be referenced explaining which ones are in the recall and which are not?

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Do the sprockets have any markings that can be referenced explaining which ones are in the recall and which are not?

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    NO
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Front pulley recall, resolve?

Anybody know the final resolve to the front pulley failure…… the permanent dealer fix?
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue