Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    I've heard sprocket and pulley over and over again - depending on who you talk to. I always called it a pulley myself.
    Here's the difference:

A pully is smooth, like a V-belt driver.

A sprocket has teeth (or splines).
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    ^^^^ Possibly figure the ‘20 and up are still in warranty. Just a thought ...
    Not likely... a safety recall means all vehicles with an unsafe condition. The cutoff is when the OEM corrected the problem.

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Stopped at my dealer this afternoon, While they didn't have the updated info on the recall, the Gal started to research it.
    I have an appointment for July 20th after I get back from DW3

T.P.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Here's the difference:

A pully is smooth, like a V-belt driver.

A sprocket has teeth (or splines).
    Sorry, but it is not that clear cut in definitions and nomenclature. A Google search will find many instances where manufacturers and industrial folks refer to the timing or synchronous belt as using toothed pulleys. Here is one such reference in an industrial magazine.
    Positive drive or synchronous belts rely on the engagement of teeth on the belt with grooves on the pulley. There is no slip with this belt except for ratcheting or tooth jumping.
    This is from https://www.plantengineering.com/art...f-belt-drives/

One is equally correct in referring to the drive system on our Spyders as using sprockets or pulleys.

Now, to add to the confusion! The BRP parts catalog for the 2016 RT series lists in the parts diagram the smaller front unit as a "sprocket". But the rear unit is a "pulley assembly". So even BRP hasn't settled on which nomenclature is preferred!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I was unable to find a video on removing the front pulley on the Spyder. Only on the F3. Is there a video instructions for the 2018 Spyder? I'd like to take a look at the splines before I put too many miles on it before the dealer fixes it.

Thanks.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Just checked, it came up with the letter about the recall.
    Will be calling the dealer this coming week.
    There goes couple days for the fix.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Sorry, but it is not that clear cut in definitions and nomenclature. A Google search will find many instances where manufacturers and industrial folks refer to the timing or synchronous belt as using toothed pulleys. Here is one such reference in an industrial magazine.

This is from https://www.plantengineering.com/art...f-belt-drives/

One is equally correct in referring to the drive system on our Spyders as using sprockets or pulleys.

Now, to add to the confusion! The BRP parts catalog for the 2016 RT series lists in the parts diagram the smaller front unit as a "sprocket". But the rear unit is a "pulley assembly". So even BRP hasn't settled on which nomenclature is preferred!
    Well, that's only because all those folks haven't read my post yet! (JK!)

Seriously though, why have two different words if they don't mean something different?

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

https://www.rideapart.com/news/category/recalls/
    The Article above states which models, etc. are affected. I cut and pasted some of of the article below for forum members.

"The problem was first raised by Transport Canada, which began an Issue Assessment in August, 2021 and informed BRP of this action. After further evaluation and discussion between TC and BRP, BRP made the decision to issue a worldwide safety recall in May, 2022. So far, in the U.S., BRP has linked 312 service contacts and 434 warranty claims to this issue. Additionally, a single existing National Highway Traffic Safety Administration claim may be related.

The remedy program differs slightly from most other recall remedy programs due to supply chain issues. BRP does plan to repair affected vehicles at no charge to customers. An estimated 30,389 Can-Am Spyder F3 and RTs are believed to be affected. Broken down, BRP says this includes 13,633 Spyder F3s and 16,756 Spyder RTs sold in North America. Affected vehicles were manufactured between April 15, 2014 and April 15, 2019. The company adds that not all MY 2019 VINs are affected—as those produced after April 15, 2019 are not included in this recall. The recall notice does not list a VIN range.

Some customers have reported noises and vibrations from their Spyders, but not all. This is the only warning that BRP has in its records as possibly occurring for owners whose Spyders have this front sprocket issue."
    2015 RTS Special Series , Black/Silver w Burgundy Seats

Spyder Garage

Seriously though, why have two different words if they don't mean something different?
    It's the American way! Which do you carry, a wallet or a billfold? That is a valid point that often trips up people who are learning American English as a second language.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by L8inLiferider View Post
    https://www.rideapart.com/news/category/recalls/
    The Article above states which models, etc. are affected. I cut and pasted some of the article below for forum members.

"The problem was first raised by Transport Canada, which began an Issue Assessment in August, 2021 and informed BRP of this action. After further evaluation and discussion between TC and BRP, BRP made the decision to issue a worldwide safety recall in May, 2022. So far, in the U.S., BRP has linked 312 service contacts and 434 warranty claims to this issue. Additionally, a single existing National Highway Traffic Safety Administration claim may be related.

The remedy program differs slightly from most other recall remedy programs due to supply chain issues. BRP does plan to repair affected vehicles at no charge to customers. An estimated 30,389 Can-Am Spyder F3 and RTs are believed to be affected. Broken down, BRP says this includes 13,633 Spyder F3s and 16,756 Spyder RTs sold in North America. Affected vehicles were manufactured between April 15, 2014 and April 15, 2019. The company adds that not all MY 2019 VINs are affected—as those produced after April 15, 2019 are not included in this recall. The recall notice does not list a VIN range.

Some customers have reported noises and vibrations from their Spyders, but not all. This is the only warning that BRP has in its records as possibly occurring for owners whose Spyders have this front sprocket issue."
    By those numbers, that is almost 31,000 inspections and interim repairs by dealers. Then a comeback for a new pulley. So 31,000 pulleys.
    Consider too, this only covers into 2019, they have 3 additional model years that pulleys have been failing on.

That will be a lot of pulleys, a lot of warranty paid man hours, incurring a lot of expense.
    Not sure how many dealers BRP has left, here in the USA if there is 100 dealers total, that averages to each dealer working on 310 Spyders twice. Even more if the recall affected numbers increase.

Pretty crazy and mind numbing to think about. Even if only half are USA based, that is still over 15,000 vehicles and not many dealers accomplishing the work.
    Guess it will get done, but costing profits somewhere.

All the best to those owners
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    I was unable to find a video on removing the front pulley on the Spyder. Only on the F3. Is there a video instructions for the 2018 Spyder? I'd like to take a look at the splines before I put too many miles on it before the dealer fixes it.

Thanks.
    I have read here about folks who have checked their Sprocket using a small mirror and strong flashlight ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I just replaced mine about 4 weeks ago. Got recall email. Left email and phone call to dealer here in Surprise az. Waiting for response

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    It's the American way! Which do you carry, a wallet or a billfold? That is a valid point that often trips up people who are learning American English as a second language.
    I carry a billfold.

A wallet was (is) a long thing that carries the bills stretched out flat, and is carried in the inside front pocket of a jacket. Back then, only richer people wore jackets; poor people didn't even have bills to carry, maybe only a few coins. Then along came Mr. Levi Strauss and his great innovation of denim trousers with the small back pockets, which then required another innovation: a smaller "wallet" that would fit in those pockets. Which required folding the bills into a smaller space. Voila! The "billfold" solved the problem! Hence, a new word, a DIFFERENT word to denote the DIFFERENCE in the two products.

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBlevins View Post
    I have a 2018 RTL, can anyone send me a link to the site for the VIN check??

Thanks,
    Gary
    Don't bother looking. ALL 2018 Spyders are included.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My question would be, if not subject to the recall, ie '20 thru '23 models, what is different regarding the toothed sprocket and tranny spline interface between the affected model years and the later models??????
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2022 at 08:36 PM. Reason: sprock - sprocket ;-)
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Haven't checked my production date, but my 2019 F3S is still excluded...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I carry a billfold.
    That's because you live in the South. If you lived Montana you'd be carrying a wallet! A lot of dual terms are region based, like in Louisiana you put groceries in a "buggy", not a grocery cart like most of the country does. Many dual terms have developed the same meaning simply by time and usage. Here's an interesting listing of such terms. https://www.theactivetimes.com/trave...es-us/slide-26. Just this morning as I was driving I had to dodge a bunch of "pot holes". Back in my teen years though, I contended with "chuck holes". For breakfast this morning I used pancake flour to make myself a hotcake!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've ignored my totally logical explanations of pulley/sprocket and wallet/billfold. I'm done.

Peace, friend!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    My question would be, if not subject to the recall, ie '20 thru '23 models, what is different regarding the toothed sprocket and tranny spline interface between the affected model years and the later models??????
    Engineering Change (called EC in mfg industry). They happen all the time... this one solved the problem during the 2019 model run. From an earlier post in this thread: Affected vehicles were manufactured between April 15, 2014 and April 15, 2019. ... not all MY 2019 VINs are affected - as those produced after April 15, 2019 are not included in this recall.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2022 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

You've ignored my totally logical explanations of pulley/sprocket and wallet/billfold. I'm done.

Peace, friend!
    Sorry you feel that way, friend. I've seen this as a somewhat entertaining discussion. I haven't ignored your explanations. I was only jerking your chain a little! They are perfectly logical. I was trying to point out those logical explanations just do not line up with the norm in American language, which is inherently not always logical. You, and I, and all of us, may wish for clear cut definitions for all sorts of words, but it just ain't gonna happen!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

So can anyone lead me to a video on changing the front sprocket/pulley on a Spyder RT? Not an F3.

Please!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

When someone finds out what the interim fix is before the Aug Or later Sprocket please let us know?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    So can anyone lead me to a video on changing the front sprocket/pulley on a Spyder RT? Not an F3.

Please!
    Except for the panel removal the process would be the same.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

How do you find out the manufacture date of your F3
    2019 F3 limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbear View Post
    How do you find out the manufacture date of your F3
    It's included on the VIN sticker ...... good luck .... Mike