Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Something tells me that this is not the supposed FINAL fix that again is supposedly in work. If it was in fact the ultimate final fix we would hear about it.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

After reading all the entries in this thread since October, that was also my feeling... now I debate whether we should cancel the end of the month appointment for my husband's spyder since it's currently working (on his 2nd sprocket). ugh.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, don't cancel the appointment, have a new sprocket put on for free for piece of mind.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

...I called my local Spyder Dealer. I was told that they would receive 'sprocket' starting in January 2023.
    I will just wait and see.

Stay Healthy. ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 05:56 AM.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Stopped at my local RideNow today to get on the schedule for drive sprocket replacement.
    Based on my years in fab and manufacturing, I have to guess that the current crop of "temporary" drive sprockets that are being installed are essentially of the same alloy and hardness as all of the OEM sprockets installed at the plant over the time period in consideration. I would also venture a guess that the part is a third-party item sub'd by BRP to an outside vendor.
    When the failures started to appear and BRP realized they would need to take corrective action, it's likely that a newer design had to be engineered. That whole process takes time in the corporate setting. While a great many consumers think BRP could just start popping out harder sprockets, that is a far cry from reality.
    Drive sprockets are, by design, softer than the output shafts that carry them. Imagine the results if the reverse were true; sprocket looks great, but my output shaft is shot.
    I would recommend everyone just keep up with current information, and remind your dealers occasionally how badly you need to have this issue resolved. In the mean time, have your unit inspected for excessive lash under the terms of the TSB, and get your temporary sprocket(s) installed until the (anticipated) permanent replacements are to be had.
    Keep your loaded weight to a minimum, and try to keep torque loads on the sprocket to a minimum, i.e., smooth consistent throttle inputs, whether accelerating or decelerating. In other words, baby it along til the new parts show up. You may not like the advice, but the alternative might just be a no-go scenario with the center spun out of your drive sprocket.
    Last edited by FlaTGTpair; 12-16-2022 at 04:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlaTGTpair View Post
    ... the current crop of "temporary" drive sprockets that are being installed ...
    According to my dealer, I had the "Final Fix" drive sprocket installed about 1 month ago. I think that most people are talking about how long until they get their final fix sprocket.

Spyder Garage

Interesting.
    The info I got today was that the "permanent" units would be available Q1 of 2023. That's what I was having them schedule me for - the final part(s).
    Even in the age of instant access, accurate info is hard to come by.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlaTGTpair View Post
    Interesting.
    The info I got today was that the "permanent" units would be available Q1 of 2023. That's what I was having them schedule me for - the final part(s).
    Even in the age of instant access, accurate info is hard to come by.
    I noticed this was your 2nd post - and on the same day... ..... I then saw you joined one year earlier than me. ( 2011 ) .... almost 13 years ago ... I hope you don't wait as long as you did for your first & second posts ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ClayJ View Post
    According to my dealer, I had the "Final Fix" drive sprocket installed about 1 month ago. I think that most people are talking about how long until they get their final fix sprocket.
    The final fix sprocket was first spotted only 2 weeks ago, Clay, so unless your dealer has special contacts, it is unlikely you have the final fix. If your sprocket is black or white, it is NOT the final fix sprocket. The final sprocket is grey/silver with a separate washer.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Noticed that, eh.
    We bought a new RS in 2011. I sucked up a bunch of info here, and posted several times back then. Got the RS set up the way we wanted it, and got busy riding and traveling. You might spy the unusual backrest and luggage rack on the RS. Back in the day, options were really limited. That's an aftermarket aluminum unit for an FJR1300 with a mount I engineered.
    I haven't been back here to the forum for a looong time. We just got a new RT-L, and I came back to read up on the issues of the day.
    I noticed the old post tally started over at '1' the first time I posted. Really don't mind. Makes no difference to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If your sprocket is white, its not the recall fix but an interim repair. Recall fix is silver and unlikely you got one a month ago.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

This is a post I made on another thread. Sorry I don't know how to insert a link to it, so old fashioned copy & paste.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    According to the service department at my dealer - RideNow Austin - they were able to get a large number of sprockets, based on their aggregate BRP sales. I agree with Mikey, ask your dealer to call them to ask RideNow to send your dealer a sprocket, and if they won't (but they should), you should call RideNow @ 512-459-3311 to make an appointment to put the new sprocket. Not sure where in Texas you are, but is a trip to Austin feasible? Also, BRP is full of it when they say that the installation will only take "about an hour" when in reality, it takes closer to 2 1/2 hours. BRP only pays the dealer for .6 - yep you read that right - .6 hours to get the work done. My dealer is not too happy with BRP. So see, BRP not only screws us Spyder Riders, they screw dealers as well. Heck of a way to run a business.
    From this thread:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...RP-s-Logistics
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-17-2022 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display & added link
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    This is a post I made on another thread. Sorry I don't know how to insert a link to it, so old fashioned copy & paste.
    To link the thread, simply Select & Copy the entire address line in your browser's address bar (it's up the top of the page, where you normally type in www.spyderlovers.com or whatever to open a website ) & then when you get to where you want to insert that link in your text, put your cursor in the spot you want it to go; Right Click & then click on Paste from the drop down list - that'll paste the 'www.whatever' address which you copied into the text wherever your cursor is (btw, it helps make it easier for readers if you put each link on its own line! See the example below ) & then when you get around to submitting the post, the Forum platform/software will add the URL commands onto each end to make it work as a link like the one shown below!

[.url]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?152001-Sprocket-Recall-What-s-Wrong-With-BRP-s-Logistics[./url] {I added the .'s to make the bits between the URL delineators appear as plain text, so this one ^ won't work, but if you give it a go as described, I'm sure yours will! )

However, if you want to insert the whole post you made elsewhere as a quote rather than just linking the thread (see the link just above vs the way your post in the 'This is the post I made in another thread...' thread at post #337 above looks now ) then before you start posting here (or if you know how, just open another window ) find the other thread & go to whatever post you want to quote, where you need to click on the 'Reply with Quote' button in the desired Post's bottom right hand corner to get the post & all its embedded commands displayed as text that you can copy; then Right Click followed by Select All from the drop down list; then Right Click followed by Copy from that drop down list before selecting Cancel in the bottom right hand corner of that post in the thread & then either open or go back to the other thread where you want to put that quote into a reply (so that's all clear now??) . Once you're in the thread where you want to post, quoting the stuff you just selected, open the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread text field & put your cursor in the spot where you want the post you just copied to appear as a quote; then Right Click followed by Paste from the drop down list & the import quote job is done! So now, just make sure you don't type anything between the [.QUOTE] & [./QUOTE] delineators or it'll be inserted/appear as part of that quote; finish typing in whatever other text you wanted to go with that quote & then hit Post Quick Reply or Submit to finish the post & add it to the thread!

And while you might think from seeing all this ^^ that it might be too hard to even bother trying, it's really a whole lot easier than it looks! Actually doing it is a lot easier than just reading that ^^ lot!! And believe me when I say doing it's a a whooole lot easier than thinking thru the process step by step and then typing it out & describing like that ^^ so you can learn & improve your posting/Forum experience!!! You simply need do it - just set your mind to it & work thru, taking each step along the way, and do it a few times. So go on, give it a go - you really aren't going to break something here or on your own device (altho maybe don't try it on anything important/legal documents just yet tho! ) And if you need a hand, I'm usually not far, only a PM away - & if you give us a yell, I or any of the other Mods will be happy to help.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    The final fix sprocket was first spotted only 2 weeks ago, Clay, so unless your dealer has special contacts, it is unlikely you have the final fix. If your sprocket is black or white, it is NOT the final fix sprocket. The final sprocket is grey/silver with a separate washer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If your sprocket is white, its not the recall fix but an interim repair. Recall fix is silver and unlikely you got one a month ago.
    I pulled out my endoscope and peeked up under the bike to get a picture of the sprocket. It sure looks white to me (aka not the final fix sprocket). The mechanic "assured" me that I had the final fix and didn't need to schedule a follow up.

Don't get me wrong. I'm ecstatic to have my bike back and riding after 3 months, but I wonder how much of a fight I'm going to have when I try to schedule to get the real part installed.

sprocket.jpg
    Last edited by ClayJ; 12-19-2022 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Clarify what white means

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter! An old dog just learned a new trick!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I pulled out my endoscope and peeked up under the bike to get a picture of the sprocket. It sure looks white to me (aka not the final fix sprocket). The mechanic "assured" me that I had the final fix and didn't need to schedule a follow up.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm ecstatic to have my bike back and riding after 3 months, but I wonder how much of a fight I'm going to have when I try to schedule to get the real part installed.
    Bugger, Clay……mind you, if they have used the right compound Loctite on it, you will probably not have an issue anyway…….at least until they realise that the white sprocket is not actually the final fix. Lamonster have been putting Loctite (not sure of the number….I’ll insert it when I find it) on the sprockets they are replacing for a considerable time and have seen no failures after doing that…….but has your dealer used the “right” compound?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

Is this the correct assembly sequence for the Recall Pulley?

Concerning the Front Pulley Recall:
    Is the assembly sequence: washer, pulley, bolt; or, pulley, washer, bolt?
    I’m of the mindset to perform the recall myself in the future, not really a fan of letting someone else work on my vehicle.
    Belt alignment would give me the answer, but just trying to anticipate the project.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-10-2024 at 05:59 AM. Reason: ' ' ;-)
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

im sure this must be done at dealer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Is the assembly sequence: washer, pulley, bolt……….or…….pulley,washer, bolt?
    I’m of the mindset to perform the recall myself in the future……..not really a fan of letting someone else work on my vehicle.
    Belt alignment would give me the answer, but, just trying to anticipate the project.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    im sure this must be done at dealer
    Yeah, as fatboy has said, if you want the recall to be completed on your Spyder, you'll HAVE to get it done by an Authorised Can-Am On Road Dealer!

Doing anything else will mean your Spyder is never endorsed/registered as having that recall done, and that could have legal & insurance ramifications, as well as possibly reducing any financial consideration you might expect if/when you decide to sell!

If you are truly concerned, get your dealer to do the recall work first, so that your Spyder is officially recorded as having had it done; then either check it yourself or do it again yourself afterwards.

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

i am looking at purchasing a used F3 and the seller gave me the vin... i looked it up and it does have the sprocket recall. I called my local dealer and they said that just because it has a recall does that mean that it will be changed. It has to be inspected and fail the inspection in order to be changed. Is this accurate info? Doesn't quite sit right with me.

Update. I called another local dealer and they said bring it in, we have the sprocket in stock and it takes a few hours to do.
    Last edited by delkhouri; 03-23-2023 at 01:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    i am looking at purchasing a used F3 and the seller gave me the vin... i looked it up and it does have the sprocket recall. I called my local dealer and they said that just because it has a recall does that mean that it will be changed. It has to be inspected and fail the inspection in order to be changed. Is this accurate info? Doesn't quite sit right with me.

Update. I called another local dealer and they said bring it in, we have the sprocket in stock and it takes a few hours to do.

If you have the VIN recall, it HAS to be done, Delkhouri. That “we’ll look at it and decide whether it needs changing” was merely the interim fix, until the new sprockets arrive. I’d be steering clear of that first dealer if I were you. You don’t know what ELSE they don’t know about Spyders

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

THE NEW REPLACEMENT SPROCKET IS SILVER

I have a copy of the Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
    Required parts, front sprocket kit, (includes washer)219800553 needed 1
    listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
    use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
    No cure time listed.

CHECK THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DEALER PAPERWORK!

Way too much misinformation on this issue since the start of the problem,
    We need everyone on the same page in the same book.

T.P.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This guy is my hero.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Is the assembly sequence: washer, pulley, bolt……….or…….pulley,washer, bolt?
    I’m of the mindset to perform the recall myself in the future……..not really a fan of letting someone else work on my vehicle.
    Belt alignment would give me the answer, but, just trying to anticipate the project.
    Washer, loctite/pulley, bolt, 24hour wait, ride.

Just so as everyone knows the loctite is to glue the pulley to the shaft it's not to glue the bolt in place.
    Let the dealer do it to retain your legal status. If they allow you to ride off immediately and it fails any time in the future and kills you, they will be liable because they haven't followed loctite's cure time advice. None of them seem to be following this from what I'm reading here.
    It's a long shot you say, the odds of the replacement sprocket failing would be huge. No one has been able to confirm if the metallurgy has changed or not so, if not, the repair is based solely on the loctite preventing the sprocket from fretting and doing the same thing again. In other words, a complete waste of time and effort by all involved if it doesn't get the required cure time.
    Dealers get paid I think from memory something like 40 minutes labour from BRP to complete the task, they just want it in and out as quickly as possible, BRP just want to meet their legal obligations, you want to do your own research and stop relying on third parties to run your life and start considering bikerchris's approach to things.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2023 at 11:45 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

In 2019 I had my pulley replaced by a dealer in NV with Loctite. No cure time was mentioned and I rode the Spyder to St George, UT immediately afterward. When I had the pulley replaced a month ago for the recall the pulley was still in good shape with no wear and no dust. After the replacement of the latest pulley and washer with Loctite by my dealer in NC I rode 2 1/2 hours back to my home. Neither dealer mentioned a period of cure time. I am certainly not disputing that cure time is necessary, but I think some dealers are not mentioning it or the Loctite being used requires no cure time. Thoughts?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red