Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Red Dust of Death Recall???? Front Sprocket Recall - FINALLY....

Did folks see this???? Seems like this is the Red Dust of Death - finally being recalled! :-). Do others read this the same way?

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...ropulsion.html
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes and for a limited time. Do not wait get it checked and fixed.

Spyder Garage

Were YOU contacted?
    If not your vehicle was NOT recalled.
    Recalls REQUIRE they contact you. Looks more like YOU fond the recall.
    If anything like a CAR they will NOT service your Spyder.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Were YOU contacted?
    If not your vehicle was NOT recalled.
    Recalls REQUIRE they contact you. Looks more like YOU fond the recall.
    If anything like a CAR they will NOT service your Spyder.

AJ
    Given that it is dated yesterday and just posted on their website - I'm sure many are not "yet" contacted - which is why I posted it for folks to be on the lookout - and/or run the VIN check on their website.

Also - if you read the statement on their website there's some interesting language such as "... as all front sprockets will need to be replaced..."

You can feel free to ignore this post until YOU get a letter if you like. Sorry my attempt at knowledge share has offended you.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

2019 F3S .. Not on the list (at this time)..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I was notified this morning at midnight by email. I assume I will receive the actual mailed version but I received the same message as above. I just Called dealer. There is “NO” remedy or solution yet established but the dealers received the notice also. It is only a notification until the exact procedure is sent to the dealers. Ironically, I just posted this same question on another thread that my dealer wanted to remove my front pulley and grease for prevented maintenance at 28000 miles and this comes out now. This includes RT’s also.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 05-27-2022 at 10:41 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I was notified this morning at midnight by email. I assume I will receive the actual mailed version but I received the same message as above. I just Called dealer. There is “NO” remedy or solution yet established but the dealers received the notice also. It is only a notification until the exact procedure is sent to the dealers. Ironically, I just posted this same question on another thread that my dealer wanted to remove my front pulley and grease for prevented maintenance at 28000 miles and this comes out now. This includes RT’s also.
    I'm still fascinating and trying to figure out how they are "determining" which machines 2015-2019 are impacted. As of the moment neither of my VINs show impacted on their website. We shall see. I bought my 2015 F3S used from a private seller so not sure I'd get the recall notice. We bought our 2019 RTL new though so if it gets lumped in we should see that.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

It's about freakin time!! Thanks for sharing.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Did folks see this???? Seems like this is the Red Dust of Death - finally being recalled! :-). Do others read this the same way?

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...ropulsion.html
    Thanks for posting this Joshua.

I wonder how they will handle those of us that have already bit the bullet and replaced it on our own?

I guess now that the NTSB is involved they may have to come up with a true fix for the problem. One can only hope
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting. Mine doesn't show up yet but it's way early in the process.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

."GREASE " that is a RED flag to me !!!!!! .... hopefully your dealer will use " MOLY-PASTE " ..... JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Thanks for posting this Joshua.

I wonder how they will handle those of us that have already bit the bullet and replaced it on our own?

I guess now that the NTSB is involved they may have to come up with a true fix for the problem. One can only hope

Ed I’d call. Here is the answer to your question in the post. Can’t hurt!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ."GREASE " that is a RED flag to me !!!!!! .... hopefully your dealer will use " MOLY-PASTE " ..... JMHO ....Mike

I’m sure he was going to use Moly. Its just technical words for lubricating. Just like he said “sprocket” and everyone jumped all over me saying it was a “pulley”, yet in their recall they refer to it as a sprocket.

Spyder Garage

I’m sure he was going to use Moly. Its just technical words for lubricating. Just like he said “sprocket” and everyone jumped all over me saying it was a “pulley”, yet in their recall they refer to it as a sprocket.
    I've heard sprocket and pulley over and over again - depending on who you talk to. I always called it a pulley myself.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK, however folks who use the wrong words or terminology don't inspire confidence in me .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I am at my dealers getting new back tire installed. Had him check and my Spyder is part of the recall
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Front Drive Pully Recall

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...jyUnW-_8H0qXv4

About time BRP did a recall. Recall available for 2015 and up.

Spyder Garage

I got lucky. Bought our '15 F3S 23k miles used in the fall. Wife only put 100 miles on it and the pulley/sprocket failed. Dealer covered repair fully. Other than having to retrieve it via trailer and taking a 3.5 hr road trip back to the dealer to get it fixed mines been fine. White version was installed.
    I'm a red dust inspector now after cleaning out all the old dust build up.
    That failure is also what has me a regular reader here now also. Thanks to everyone who has come before me.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Just checked my VIN and so far I'm in the clear. The thought occurred to me that the reason why some bikes are included and others are not may be due to BRP sourcing the pulleys from different vendors.
    Last edited by Bunson; 05-27-2022 at 01:13 PM. Reason: missed word
    2018 RT Limited

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just read that notice, it only covers 2015 to 2019.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Finally ... an answer to my question of which models and years are affected;

What is the potential problem?

The front sprocket may be defective and may be subject to premature wear. Over time, the vehicle could lose propulsion. If the vehicle loses propulsion, there is an increased risk of a crash.

Which models are involved?

Certain 2015 to 2019 Can-Am® Spyder RT and F3 vehicles
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ed I’d call. Here is the answer to your question in the post. Can’t hurt!
    That is very interesting, indicates a very strong possibly that the fix involves more than the new white pulley as a repaired unit requires something additional rather than the white current pulley to satisfy the recall.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I called BRP and my F3 was on the recall list. Luckily, I have receipts for the 3 sprockets that I personally bought and replaced (over 90,000 miles on F3). BRP rep opened a case for the cost, sent me an email with the required proof of purchase request. Sent them the 3 receipt copies. Lets see how long it takes to get the money back.

Side note: BRP rep said it was a 1 hour fix. To me that means they are just going to replace the sprocket with a "white" one. FYI - I already have stripped out a "white" sprocket and I'm on my second one)

Three Sprockets Replaced.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-27-2022 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    That is very interesting, indicates a very strong possibly that the fix involves more than the new white pulley as a repaired unit requires something additional rather than the white current pulley to satisfy the recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    I called BRP and my F3 was on the recall list. Luckily, I have receipts for the 3 sprockets that I personally bought and replaced (over 90,000 miles on F3). BRP rep opened a case for the cost, sent me an email with the required proof of purchase request. Sent them the 3 receipt copies. Lets see how long it takes to get the money back.

Side note: BRP rep said it was a 1 hour fix. To me that means they are just going to replace the sprocket with a "white" one. FYI - I already have stripped out a "white" sprocket and I'm on my second one)

Not specifically responding to your posts by themselves old Timer & Spyder F3-s, but your posts gave me the references (bolded above) to the points I wanted to highlight.

I don't believe the white sprocket has anything to do with this sprocket failure issue! The white sprocket is simply an attempt to address the whining noise issue some were having - the ceramic coating is meant to change the way air moved over the sprocket & cut the whining noise!

This recall is something completely different to the white pulley fix, and if you read the notice, what they are doing from 30 June is not a 1 hour 'Fix' - it's a 1 hour 'Interim Procedure', but then at some later stage (starting from 30 August??) 'all sprockets will need to be replaced'. See the quote below with the pertinent points highlighted:

BRP will be offering an interim repair procedure. The procedure will act as a temporary solution until the front sprocket replacement is available as all front sprockets will need to be replaced. The procedure will be available at your dealer starting on June 30 and should take less than an hour.

The parts for the final repair will gradually be available in a very limited quantity over an extended period, due to supply chain limitations. The replacement procedure should be available at your dealer starting on August 30 and should take less than an hour.
    So this 'Interim Procedure' is simply an attempt to get the sprockets to last until they can get everything necessary to replace them with whatever's needed for the final fix; but this first bit, it's NOT a 'Fix', not yet, anyway!

And from the image in Wmoater's post #12 above, while it's good that BRP says they'll reimburse those who've replaced their sprockets previously at their own expense, I do hope they'll also look after those few who ended up needing to replace the shaft as well?!?

At least now it's on the table & some 'fix' moves are afoot!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-27-2022 at 03:57 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just checked my VIN and so far so good.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited