Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil - why would you use Rotella T6, a diesel oil, in your Spyder?

I noticed people talking about using Shell Rotella T6. T6 is diesel oil, according to what people mentioned. Since when and why would you use diesel oil in place of a4 stroke motorcycle engine oil?
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    I noticed people talking about using Shell Rotella T6. T6 is diesel oil, according to what people mentioned. Since when and why would you use diesel oil in place of a4 stroke motorcycle engine oil?
    Very good question……
    Last edited by bikerchris1270; 05-28-2022 at 04:26 AM.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Diesel oils normally do not contain the slickeners that are added to oils which are recommended for cars that promote greater MPGs. Those slickeners will not work well with wet clutches.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Diesel oils normally do not contain the slickeners that are added to oils which are recommended for cars that promote greater MPGs. Those slickeners will not work well with wet clutches.
    ..........and it's JASO MA II rated ..... doesn't get much better than that .....JMHO .....Mike

Spyder Garage

the last 20 years of my working life , was as a Diesel Mechanic , Big Trucks , 18 wheelers .. the ONLY Oil we installed was Rotella T . but back in those days I never heard of anyone putting it in anything except Big Rigs . . . just saying .
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Read specs/approvals near bottom of page 2. Not my favorite oil, but it meets all specs.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/prod...f/t6-5w-40.pdf

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I guess I will just stick with Valvoline Full Synthetic 10w40 Motorcycle Oil. Putting diesel oil in a bike just doesn’t sound right

Spyder Garage

Simple, as it meets all the specs of the over rated BRP oil. It's readily available and about half the price. It's worked fine for me in my previous 998 and the current 2021 1330's.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Have been using Rotella T4 conventional oil in 7 Motorcycles over the last 12+ years. Have already bought 2 gallons of T6 15w40 for use on the first oil change on the F3-S. Not saying it’s the best there is out there. Just saying that it has the correct specs, is (usually) readily available, and has never failed me in the years I have used it.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Rotella T6 is great oil. I have used it for years. It's also in my Jeep and even my lawn tractor
    Last edited by rjinaz86323; 05-25-2022 at 10:40 PM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

WHY NOT??? IT's JASO MA2 rated. Good for MCs with wet clutches and cats. Good for a 9K run too, according to my analyst's reports. That's due to the heavier additive package that Diesels require for engine longevity. That benefits gas engines too.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I guess I will just stick with Valvoline Full Synthetic 10w40 Motorcycle Oil. Putting diesel oil in a bike just doesn’t sound right
    Because if they called it Shell Rotella T6 Motorcycle Oil you would be very happy, but truckers would avoid it. Who has the biggest market. It just happens to meet the requirements of both.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's been known for years by HD riders that diesel oil could be used in their engines in a pinch if they were caught out in the middle of Egypt somewhere and couldn't find MC oil.

Spyder Garage

Even when they put gummybears, on the package, It won't make a difference.... or if they would call it motorcola, it's all about the specs, and Rotella t6, just ticks all the boxes.
    Jaso MaII rated is well suited for the spyders, it's been said above, it's all about marketing, but rotella is a good oil, is it the best? I don't know, there will be better ones around, even overhere in the netherlands Rotella is readily availble.

The spyder has a wet clutch, using the wrong spec oil, would ruin the clutchplates in a heartbeat, I've seen it happen.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Specs

...If the oil you use meets the Spyder specifications, then you are good to go. Rotella T6 (a diesel engine oil) just happens to have the correct specs. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    the last 20 years of my working life , was as a Diesel Mechanic , Big Trucks , 18 wheelers .. the ONLY Oil we installed was Rotella T . but back in those days I never heard of anyone putting it in anything except Big Rigs . . . just saying .
    Been using Diesel motor oil in in my Goldwings for over 30 years. Yummmm!!! hahahaha

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Best oil on the market…….maybe…….could be……
    Last edited by bikerchris1270; 05-28-2022 at 04:28 AM.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Why would anyone care or worry about what oil, tires, windshield, boots, socks, or underwear I use unless of course they're paying for it. Rotella meets the specs. End of story.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    It's been known for years by HD riders that diesel oil could be used in their engines in a pinch if they were caught out in the middle of Egypt somewhere and couldn't find MC oil.
    I go so far as to say they don't even have to be in Egypt or in a pinch. When I had my v-twin before getting the bikes I have now, I ran T6. Its used a lot on the forums I used to frequent.

2012 Spyder RT Limited in Lava Bronze Metallic
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A lot of people on the 2nd gen Vmax site use it in their bikes. It is also a go to remedy for the modern coyote engine (5.0 or 302) in the newer mustang and ford truck engines that have the known "type writer tick". I have not tried it in either of my vehicles, but I have heard good things about it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I started using it in my 1st goldwing when I read about on the GW forum. I figured if GW owners would use it than I would give it a try. Been using it in all my MC's since. I like what Navydad said.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

But .. BRP uses 5w40. Why are you using a weight rating not recommended by Can-Am? Devils advocate here..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    But .. BRP uses 5w40. Why are you using a weight rating not recommended by Can-Am? Devils advocate here..
    Because I don't need that weight for the cold side. Live in Michigan 7 months, and winter in Arizona

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Per viewing the Mobil 1 and Castrol website, they say that they do not add Friction Modifiers to their 4T oil so as to Protect Wet Clutches. This is essentially the only major difference. so, if you want to glaze your friction clutches....rock on Rottella.
    www.mobil.com
    www.castrol.com
    Neither does Shell when it comes to the Rotella . Only Shell doesn't just 'say' it, they let the JASO MA II rating say it for them!

So if there's any glazing of friction clutches to be done, it ain't gonna be the Rotella T6 doing it, cos not only does it meet &/or exceed all the necessary ratings & standards to be a pretty good Diesel Oil, but Rotella T6 ALSO meets or exceeds the necessary ratings & standards to be a pretty good Motorcycle Oil too!

So just cos you might see that it says 'Diesel' on the side of the container, it still doesn't stop it being a Motorcycle oil too - it's all in the fine print where the oil company specifies which Ratings & Standards the oil IN the Container meets!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-27-2022 at 03:20 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Neither does Shell when it comes to the Rotella . Only Shell doesn't just 'say' it, they let the JASO MA II rating say it for them!

So if there's any glazing of friction clutches to be done, it ain't gonna be the Rotella T6 doing it, cos not only does it meet &/or exceed all the necessary ratings & standards to be a pretty good Diesel Oil, but Rotella T6 ALSO meets or exceeds the necessary ratings & standards to be a pretty good Motorcycle Oil too!

So just cos you might see that it says 'Diesel' on the side of the container, it still doesn't stop it being a Motorcycle oil too - it's all in the fine print where the oil company specifies which Ratings & Standards the oil IN the Container meets!
    Ok, I completely understand what your saying………why not market it as a motorcycle oil….I have reached out to Shell Oil Co……waiting for reply.
    Last edited by bikerchris1270; 05-27-2022 at 07:09 AM.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue