Spyder Garage

Default Reverse Beep sounds odd, should I worry?

When I go to backup my beep sounds like it is cutting in and out, making it sound odd AF. Anyone had this happen? Should I worry about it?
    2020 Rally , black

Spyder Garage

Rykers beep when backing up? I would be turning the crap off
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    Rykers beep when backing up? I would be turning the crap off
    Hahaha, there was a long, somewhat testy thread on this not too long ago. I'm going to bow out of this discussion.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I'd think odd is good, as it would attract more attention? ;-}

Maybe add a REAL beeper on the a$$ end where it belongs. I've got the suicide shift conversion on mine, and it'd be right easy to add a standerd brake light plunger switch there to drive one. You think yours is loud ... wait till you hear mine! Ahahahhhaaaa!

PS - main problem IMHO is the location of the beeper - right on the back of the instrument cluster, putting it right in my ear when I'd bend over to hand shift. Not a problem anymore. For those who think the stock beeper is too loud - there's a small hole to the right of center on the back of the instrument cluster - a piece of black tape will tame it down some.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2022 at 09:27 PM. Reason: load = loud ;-)
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I like the beep....I like the BEEP.....I like the BEEEEP. Give me the BEEP!
    It tells everyone, RYKERS back in town.

Spyder Garage

The wife's Ryker only beeps for a short bit, then turns off.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    I like the beep....I like the BEEP.....I like the BEEEEP. Give me the BEEP!
    It tells everyone, RYKERS back in town.
    I like BIG BEEPS
    And I cannot lie ...

Baby got BACKup!

Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Mine has always done that broken up beep. At least it stops after two blurps. The one that grinds me is when you shut down without the parking lock on. That's unnecessary. I like to shut down and leave it unlocked to I can manually push the bike into my tight garage space. I don't think pulling the key stops the racket either, but I could be wrong.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
    Mine has always done that broken up beep. At least it stops after two blurps. The one that grinds me is when you shut down without the parking lock on. That's unnecessary. I like to shut down and leave it unlocked to I can manually push the bike into my tight garage space. I don't think pulling the key stops the racket either, but I could be wrong.

You nailed it.

The one that grinds me is when you shut down without the parking lock on. That's unnecessary. I like to shut down and leave it unlocked to I can manually push the bike into my tight garage space.

And its possible to mute it a bit. meep meep
    Last edited by Isopedella; 05-29-2022 at 12:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

It IS actually necessary, MudBug……but I agree completely that you should be able to consciously override it to do what YOU want to do in your garage. Just think about what could happen if you climbed off your semi auto Spyder on a slight slope and forgot to apply the park brake.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    It IS actually necessary, MudBug……but I agree completely that you should be able to consciously override it to do what YOU want to do in your garage. Just think about what could happen if you climbed off your semi auto Spyder on a slight slope and forgot to apply the park brake.

Pete
    Oh yeah. That. I live very near sea level and tend to forget about things like that. I've forgotten what a slope is.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Mine just started doing that broken sounding beep today, it sounds like if the battery was dying is how I would describe it.
    I was putting some loctite on bolts for the slingmods parking brake lock & thought I screwed something up. Whats strange is that it beeps normal if I put into reverse first time, but if I shift to drive, then back to reverse it does the muffled beep.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Badmotorf1nger View Post
    Mine just started doing that broken sounding beep today, it sounds like if the battery was dying is how I would describe it.
    I was putting some loctite on bolts for the slingmods parking brake lock & thought I screwed something up. Whats strange is that it beeps normal if I put into reverse first time, but if I shift to drive, then back to reverse it does the muffled beep.
    If it sounds like that, ie, like the battery is dying, then maybe you should see if it still sounds like that if you've connected the battery to another battery via jumper leads?? Just connect it up and leave it connected for saaayyy, 10 minutes or so (in order to allow some battery charge equalisation across the 2 batteries ) then try doing what you've described above to get the dodgy noise.

That'd tell you pretty quickly if it WAS battery related - who knows, maybe it's another 'undocumented feature' of the Rykers that'll let you know you've gotta start thinking about getting a new battery!

Of course, you could always check the battery with a load tester &/or a multi-meter too, but where's the fun in that?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If it sounds like that, ie, like the battery is dying, then maybe you should see if it still sounds like that if you've connected the battery to another battery via jumper leads?? Just connect it up and leave it connected for saaayyy, 10 minutes or so (in order to allow some battery charge equalisation across the 2 batteries ) then try doing what you've described above to get the dodgy noise.

That'd tell you pretty quickly if it WAS battery related - who knows, maybe it's another 'undocumented feature' of the Rykers that'll let you know you've gotta start thinking about getting a new battery!

Of course, you could always check the battery with a load tester &/or a multi-meter too, but where's the fun in that?!

lol discovered a hidden feature. When I took it back out tonight it didnt make the muffled/dying beep anymore when putting in reverse. Bike has been ridden almost everyday since being assembled 4 weeks ago so most likely not a charge issue, but Ill throw my meter on it if it happens again just to see.

Spyder Garage

Only get two beeps as I shift into reverse. Wish it was NO beeps. They are a loud PIA.

Anyone know if it can be shut off?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Only get two beeps as I shift into reverse. Wish it was NO beeps. They are a loud PIA.

Anyone know if it can be shut off?
    Yeah, NO!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...highlight=Beep
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

If I could get to that darn speaker it would be long gone.
    2020 Ryker 600

Spyder Garage

Found me a circular badge the right size. Some JB Weld and maybe leaving the pin on the back to act as a holder will gag that stupid speaker's mouth closed.

Spyder Garage

For what it is worth, a lot of the electronic back up alarms have an adjusting screw somewhere on them. Not familiar with the alarms on a Ryker, but have worked on a lot of heavy equipment alarms. Most of the adjusting bolts just look like a small bolt with a locknut on it.

The newer backup alarms are self-adjusting and have a lot of electronics. They sample the noise level near the rear of the equipment and automatically adjust the sound level to 5 or 10 decibels above the ambient sound level of the area.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Found me a circular badge the right size. Some JB Weld and maybe leaving the pin on the back to act as a holder will gag that stupid speaker's mouth closed.
    I used black electrical tape. It knocked the sound down some.