Spyder Garage

Default Installed RLS Cat Delete and Power Vision 3 Tune

I installed RLS's Cat Delete this afternoon. I used a Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-63397.html - which does an awesome job. Great deal for $199! It easily balances the bike and gets the front and back wheels off the ground at the same time. I slid ramps slid under the front wheel and the back I blocked with wood. I had plenty of room underneath and the whole process took less than an hour. The top spring was a PITA, but I got it off and reinstalled with some fussing. So, overall, install was a breeze.

I installed the baffle, and the sound is nicer, but not significantly different (or louder). I then attached my Power Vision 3, paired it with my bike and downloaded tunes. There were only 2. A stock one and the following: Stock exhaust Stock intake Altered DBW table Altered target AFR table Altered timing table Lowered fan temps Raised rev limit +300rpm Raised speed limits - I was honestly hoping for more. At least one that would map top the exhaust change. I am hoping more are to come.

RLS was great to work with and very responsive to my questions. I saved some weight, hopefully some heat and am anxious to see if there is a noticeable difference in how the bike performs. I do not expect it to knock my socks off, but any gains are welcome and the closer I can get to the 2-wheel bikes I am used to (BMW GSA) in terms of acceleration, awesome!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2022 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Title clarification & TRhe?
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Update - I took the bike out for 2 long rides this weekend. It just ran great! My wife did not notice any difference in sound (she has a Shoei Neotec II so, a pretty quiet helmet). It's really not louder, maybe lower. In terms of performance, I don't really notice a difference. But it is as smooth as butter. A friend and his wife rode with us on my Triumph T100 Black. I use a pedal commander to get rid of the annoying throttle lag. It's not a fast bike, by any means, but a normal but moderate acceleration from a light put the Spyder well in front of the Triumph.
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

Spyder Garage

I'm set up the same On my '20 RT. The tune adds a few MPH to the top end and adds some acceleration which helps in trying to keep up with my Beemer Buds off the curves. It comes at the cost of losing about 4 MPG in range. I switch the OEM & hot tune depending on the nature of the ride - Hooligan or Casual pace. Only takes about 5 minutes to re-flash.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I bought my PV3 from Fuel Moto. Being only 100 miles from me, I rode up there and did a lot of miles data logging at different speeds/environments. After (5) data logging sessions, I had a custom tune. Distinct difference over the base DJ tune that was the starting point. Unlike RayBJ, I actually gained some mpg's in various situations. The maps can be tweaked by tuners in the know

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fuel Moto is one of the very best in the business.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I was thinking about installing the cat delete, but not sure here in NY State if it'll pass inspection. Probably will since the guy I go to doesn't check the exhaust. But instead, I think I'm going to get the RLS Crusher Series exhaust. I watched Pierre's video and it sounds nice without the cat delete.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I am in NY, so far they do not test emissions on Bikes. so there should be no issue with inspection.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I'm set up the same On my '20 RT. The tune adds a few MPH to the top end and adds some acceleration which helps in trying to keep up with my Beemer Buds off the curves. It comes at the cost of losing about 4 MPG in range. I switch the OEM & hot tune depending on the nature of the ride - Hooligan or Casual pace. Only takes about 5 minutes to re-flash.
    Fuel prices today rose to $4.80/87 octane > $5.65/91 octane. Temporarily raised the white flag. I taped up my drilled intake cover and reflashed my ECU back to stock (.stk). Mine took 8 minutes. Gonna give up a bit of ooomph and enjoy cheaper gas. Oh well

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Ah Dang it, now I gotta make a trip over to Fuel Moto
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Hello,
    I've been doing a bit lurking and finally decided to take the plunge and get the PV3 from Fuel Moto. First off, it's not JUST because I'm originally from Oshkosh, WI (go pack go!) but it looks like a great option for me and Julie. I wish we could have shared 1 device between our RT's, but having to purchase multiple license fees to go back and forth was not appealing. What convinced me, the very detailed explanation from troop, many thanks sir! I really like the idea of recording the data from our individual RT's and creating a custom program from that date rather than "what's in our data base". And of course the ability to update W/O penalty.

Other mods that will take place, RLS cat delete. Already sporting the Pedal Commander, for several months. Next mod, maybe the RLS Crusher.. hmmm

I really appreciate so many members contributing to the discussion. Thank you for you experience, knowledge and contribution.

Ken and Julie
    Camano IS, WA

Spyder Garage

I wish I knew someone who had a 2020+ RT with a cat delete so I could hear it in person. I bought the RLS Crusher, but it was too loud for my liking. Ended up selling it. I don't want loud as it gives me a terrible headache after a while.

Spyder Garage

I'm glad you posted that, and sorry for the bad experience. We want a bit more "burble" but not the open exhaust drag pipe sound (it helps to be "seen", seen as a @#$&, yup, I see you), like the morons that blast past our place nightly that think everybody loves hearing that crap. The tough part of "hearing" comparisons on line, way too may variables to list here, in person is best. I'm hoping the cat delete, with expansion chamber will be enough for us. It's too bad we are on opposite sides of the country, Hopefully you find a Spyder lover closer to you! If you'd like, I could do a video and decibel meter reading after the mods and send it to you after the mods.
    Ken

Spyder Garage

Quickdraw, I have an RLS coated Cat Delete and if your concern is that it will be too loud I can tell you it's NOT! Adds a barely noticeable lower tone that I only hear going slow, thru town, radio off. About 15000 mi on it so I'd say it's broke in. It does take a lot of heat off right foot and I do get a bit better mpg on my 2020 RTLT.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2022 at 10:57 PM. Reason: ' 's & caps %-)
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    I'm glad you posted that, and sorry for the bad experience. We want a bit more "burble" but not the open exhaust drag pipe sound (it helps to be "seen", seen as a @#$&, yup, I see you), like the morons that blast past our place nightly that think everybody loves hearing that crap. The tough part of "hearing" comparisons on line, way too may variables to list here, in person is best. I'm hoping the cat delete, with expansion chamber will be enough for us. It's too bad we are on opposite sides of the country, Hopefully you find a Spyder lover closer to you! If you'd like, I could do a video and decibel meter reading after the mods and send it to you after the mods.
    Ken
    I've watched some videos on the cat delete, but it's really hard to know for sure. I can tell you though, the Crusher was not too bad sitting idle, but taking off and definitely going uphill, it's louder than I liked. It's a very nice muffler if you like that sound. The person who bought it loves it and I'm glad it works for him. If I can find someone near me, that's the best option for sure.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for letting me know, not wanting the really loud exhaust noise. I think the cat delete and mapping will be a really good start. I have a decibel meter and an fairly high quality audio recorder, I'll do some testing after the install and share the results.

Ken

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    I've watched some videos on the cat delete, but it's really hard to know for sure. I can tell you though, the Crusher was not too bad sitting idle, but taking off and definitely going uphill, it's louder than I liked. It's a very nice muffler if you like that sound. The person who bought it loves it and I'm glad it works for him. If I can find someone near me, that's the best option for sure.
    I'm that guy who bought it. I do love it. Quickdraw is correct that it can get loud on higher RPMs but that is what I wanted.

Spyder Garage

I installed a full Titanium exhaust on my BMW GS - and my wife really didn't like it. At idle it was fine (I had the baffles in to keep it quieter), but under any type of hard acceleration, it got loud (great sounding). She didn't notice any difference with the RTL CAT delete at idle or under acceleration so 2 thumbs up. It is lighter, keeps the heat down and with a custom tune, runs great. Is it radically different than stock. No. A little different? Maybe, it is really hard to tell But it does run great!