Spyder Garage

Default Added handlebar riser to my F3L. Changed handling - a surprise?

As on a previous 2-wheeler, I wanted to raise the handlebars a bit for my height. The install is easy. A pleasant surprised for me was that this more comfortable riding position seemed to make the F3 handle better. Apparently reaching further for the handlebars, made me lock my elbows and respond to too much deviation in the roads. Now with a more relaxed arm position, it is apparently more natural to release the "death grip" on the handlebars making the handling appear easier.

F3-Riser-2.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRHorst View Post
    As on a previous 2-wheeler, I wanted to raise the handlebars a bit for my height. The install is easy. A pleasant surprised for me was that this more comfortable riding position seemed to make the F3 handle better. Apparently reaching further for the handlebars, made me lock my elbows and respond to too much deviation in the roads. Now with a more relaxed arm position, it is apparently more natural to release the "death grip" on the handlebars making the handling appear easier.

F3-Riser-2.jpg
    Ordered mine yesterday…..
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I think you will like it. The installation was easy also.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I like mine. I'm a taller guy and I can sit back into my backrest and stretch out. I will say when I put mine on it made it look like my bars weren't straight. It may just be mental. Either way, I love it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peatmoss View Post
    I like mine. I'm a taller guy and I can sit back into my backrest and stretch out. I will say when I put mine on it made it look like my bars weren't straight. It may just be mental. Either way, I love it!
    I thought the same thing when I put my Helibars on, peatmoss. For me, I slightly tweaked the wrist angle adjustment on one side and that “misalignment appeared to go away. (But was it really there in the first place )…..and of course, you don’t have that adjustment with stock bars.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRHorst View Post

F3-Riser-2.jpg
    In some respects, I think the 'feeling of handling differently' is an illusion, since you have now adjusted the bars to be more ergonomically aligned to YOU instead of the bike manufacturer. However, I've put them on the last couple of bikes I've owned (having lost the access to a machine shop where I could just fab my own bars) and the cumulative effect of being in a good body position along with the position/location of your arms and elbows in comparison to your torso will give you a better point of control, which would add to the sensation of "better" performance. I've probably modded handlebars on 18 of the 20 motorcycles I've ridden over the past 50 years. I knew the first time I rode the F3 that I loved the bike, but that the control points in those stock handlebars was close to abysmal.
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Ordered mine yesterday…..
    Not liking your Helibars? I have/used the Lamonster risers, but didn't like the fact that they also bring the bars closer to the rider.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Not liking your Helibars? I have/used the Lamonster risers, but didn't like the fact that they also bring the bars closer to the rider.
    I ordered the Big Bike Parts riser kit…… thought I’d try bringing my Heibars a weee bit closer to me…… trial and error and $.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I too have fitted just up one of those block type handlebar risers. I hope to go for a ride today with an allen key and get the bar to its preferred position for me.

One thing I did notice. While parked I can not see the rear view mirrors except for in the lowest setting.

Considering If my preferred position is higher I may fit up some bar end type mirror.

mirror 976938622.jpg

I also fabed up a longer brake bar and moved the floorboards forward 100mm, the last notch. Now my knees fit into the scallop in the tank and dont sit above the tank. So should be interesting.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 05-23-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I too have fitted just up one of those block type handlebar risers. I hope to go for a ride today with an allen key and get the bar to its preferred position for me.

One thing I did notice. While parked I can not see the rear view mirrors except for in the lowest setting.

Considering If my preferred position is higher I may fit up some bar end type mirror.

mirror 976938622.jpg

I also fabed up a longer brake bar and moved the floorboards forward 100mm, the last notch. Now my knees fit into the scallop in the tank and dont sit above the tank. So should be interesting.
    I have the top cuff mirrors….. I love ‘em….. factory mirrors are worthless.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    I have the top cuff mirrors….. I love ‘em….. factory mirrors are worthless.

Yeah I do hear ya.

I found some on the Lamonster site where I have made some purchases already. Really good service I might add. But they will cost me about $380nz to buy and ship to New Zealand. I can get some cheap ones here for about $38 nz delivered in a few days. My bike budget is in debit for a while so will run with the local ones.

Here is the bar I fabed up, if anyone is interested. I am not really a good mig-welder but it should do the job. Sprayed it with some Zinc.
    WX has turned to not that flash for a few days with winter conditions here locally. Maybe in a few days I will get out. haha.m 4 1318206387.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Isopedella; 05-23-2022 at 06:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Can't remember if on here or FB, but someone easily drilled/tapped OEM control covers to accept aftermarket mirrors.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue