Spyder Garage

Spyder My Fuel Door Install....

My friend and I installed a fuel door on my 2015 RTS.

Blueknight911 has some really good instructions.... which helped immensely!

Here it is...

9456.jpg - 9468.jpg - 9470.jpg

I chose to put some soft fabric on the back to give it a finished look from the inside and to protect the paint.

No more seat to lift! Yippee!

Thanks BlueKnight911!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2022 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not engine/size related

Spyder Garage

Great job!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderweber3 View Post
    My friend and I installed a fuel door on my 2015 RTS.

Blueknight911 has some really good instructions.... which helped immensely!

Here it is...

9456.jpg - 9468.jpg - 9470.jpg

I chose to put some soft fabric on the back to give it a finished look from the inside and to protect the paint.

No more seat to lift! Yippee!

Thanks BlueKnight911!

Thanks for the compliment .....and Nice job ..... If you do a closeup of the inside, that would be great ..... did you find the " T " nuts ????? .... another member here wanted to do this also , but I can't find His post and don't know His name ????.... maybe He will post it here or He can PM me ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2022 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat Fuel Door

...Yes, very well done.
    Any chance of you listing your parts and time involved with
    this project. A best guess on what it would cost to do the
    Fuel Door on a seat.
    Any and all Tips would be helpful.

Thanks for your Time. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I got the t nuts and stainless steel screws from home depot, thanks to Bluenight 911 for his help.
    Last edited by jtoro1; 05-23-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Yes. I found the T nuts! They worked well.

Spyder Garage

Yes. I found the T nuts! They worked well.
    Good .... I found that the "T" nuts re-moved the possibility of anything protruding above the seat pan plastic ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Did you leave the seat attached to the trike to mount the door, or did you take the seat off? The 3rd picture seems to indicate that you did the work while the seat was still attached? Great job and thanks for the post.

Spyder Garage

We detached the seat. It was easier for us to work with it. I used the fuel door recommended by BLUEKNIGHT911. I selected the chrome fuel door because I thought it would look sharp. I also thought the black door would get too hot in the sun. The 'T' nuts are definitely recommended.

Spyder Garage

The fuel door is your biggest cost.... which for US residents is under $30 for a black one. I chose chrome because I liked the look and I thought a black door might get hot in the sun.

Time & patience is very helpful too!

Follow BLUEKNIGHT911's advice. Melt a hole in the upholstery fabric prior to drilling for the mounting holes. Makes the drilling go quite well. Use 'T' nuts for fastening.

We took the seat off the bike and had a padded blanket we set up on a work table.

Have a sharp knife to make clean cuts in the upholstry.

We followed the install procedure that BLUEKNIGHT911 suggested.

We were able to have it done in a couple of hours.

I'm pleased with how it turned out and thank BLUEKNIGHT911 big time for providing the install advice!

Spyder Garage

The fuel door is your biggest cost.... which for US residents is under $30 for a black one. I chose chrome because I liked the look and I thought a black door might get hot in the sun.

Time & patience is very helpful too!

Follow BLUEKNIGHT911's advice. Melt a hole in the upholstery fabric prior to drilling for the mounting holes. Makes the drilling go quite well. Use 'T' nuts for fastening.

We took the seat off the bike and had a padded blanket we set up on a work table.

Have a sharp knife to make clean cuts in the upholstry.

We followed the install procedure that BLUEKNIGHT911 suggested.

We were able to have it done in a couple of hours.

I'm pleased with how it turned out and thank BLUEKNIGHT911 big time for providing the install advice!
    Thanks again for the kind words ..... I'd like to clarify about melting holes in the Vinyl Fabric ..... The main reason I did it this way ... was because the first few people who tried to do this made the mis-take of trying to DRILL holes in the seat fabric. because the vinyl fabric has a NYLON MESH imbedded into the fabric. The drill bits couldn't actually cut the mesh, the MESH would get caught on the BIT and get pulled onto it, which totally ruined the vinyl. .... I've seen pics of what happened trying to cut holes in the seat material .... it wasn't pretty. ... you only need to MELT holes in the seat material ... then you drill the hole without any issues ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Does the door bother your leg at all? Can you even feel it touching your leg? I was thinking about installing one because I have a sheepskin cover and the seat doesn't stay up when I try to refuel. Plus, do you struggle with the pump handle not going far enough in?
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Does the door bother your leg at all? Can you even feel it touching your leg? I was thinking about installing one because I have a sheepskin cover and the seat doesn't stay up when I try to refuel. Plus, do you struggle with the pump handle not going far enough in?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    I've put one on all three of my Spyders including the GS and RSS which required much smaller doors ( like from a Crotch Rocket ). Probably 100,000 plus miles and I never noticed them while wearing pants /jeans .... they were all black and didn't notice any heat either. ..... I have used the door with the standard large rubber ring on the gas nozzle and the crazy contraptions they have in NJ ..... I ALWAYS fill to the edge of the neck and never had any splash back ..... slow and gentle works for me .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've put one on all three of my Spyders including the GS and RSS which required much smaller doors ( like from a Crotch Rocket ). Probably 100,000 plus miles and I never noticed them while wearing pants /jeans .... they were all black and didn't notice any heat either. ..... I have used the door with the standard large rubber ring on the gas nozzle and the crazy contraptions they have in NJ ..... I ALWAYS fill to the edge of the neck and never had any splash back ..... slow and gentle works for me .... Mike
    I wear mostly shorts in the summer months. Will this door work or is there one that you might recommend that is less expensive?

https://www.americantrucks.com/rbp-r...-0208-ram.html

Spyder Garage

I just ordered one from ebay. It has an American flag on it. Only cost $24.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    I just ordered one from ebay. It has an American flag on it. Only cost $24.
    NOT all the doors they sell will actually work ..... send me the e-bay # and go look at this ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    NOT all the doors they sell will actually work ..... send me the e-bay # and go look at this ..... Mike
    Item number: 373821917518

Spyder Garage

Thanks I'll check it out NOW .....Mike ...... Nope that won't work .... it's only a COVER .... not an actual DOOR ..... contact them immed. and cancel it .... which they should do because it hasn't SHIPPED yet ... I can find you one that will work ....M
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-07-2022 at 12:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

The fuel door doesn't bother my leg at all. I don't even know it's there while riding. LOL... I "thank my lucky stars" each time I fuel up though!

My sheepskin partially covers the door while riding, but even with it off, I wouldn't know it was there.